Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173584 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2004, 01:07:39 AM »
This may not be of interest to many (and yes, I do feel absolutely silly about it) but I was so taken by this photo that I thought I'd provide a link for those who might like to check it out. It is of Marley Shelton in her appearence in VALENTINE (which MB mentioned in one of his posts above). What I found so interesting about it is that the guy she is seen with in this photo reminds me so much of Burke Devlin. So I can't help but look at it and make believe that it is a shot of Viki and Burke from the new series. Sort of my own personal litmus test of acceptance of the new Viki and the series in general. I suppose there will be no Burke Devin in this new series, but it sure helped with the fantasy aspect of it for me. if there were to be a Burke Devlin in the new series, I would surely nominate this guy to play the role.

http://www.allmovieportal.com/mp/2001_valentine_003.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2004, 01:24:23 AM »
Thanks for posting the link to that Valentine photo, dom, because it made me remember that Shelton played Boreanaz' ex-girlfriend with whom his character wanted very much to reconcile. I liked her character in the film - and now I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what she can do with Vicki.  :)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2004, 01:25:27 AM »
What I found so interesting about it is that the guy she is seen with in this photo reminds me so much of Burke Devlin.

if there were to be a Burke Devlin in the new series, I would surely nominate this guy to play the role.

Hey Dom,

That guy is none other than David Boreanaz, he played Angel on the WB t.v. show of the same name that was recently canceled. So Mr. Boreanaz may be available to play Burke, or perhaps some other character on the show!!.  :)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2004, 01:43:34 AM »
he played Angel on the WB t.v. show of the same name that was recently canceled. So Mr. Boreanaz may be available to play Burke, or perhaps some other character on the show!!.  :)

Actually, earlier today I read in Sci-Fi's News Wire that there are rumors that the WB may be feeling that they've canceled Angel prematurely. (Personally, I haven't yet decided if getting rid of Angel will/would be a good, bad or completely inconsequential thing for a WB DS.) Of course, it's only rumor - and rumors in these circumstances often have absolutely no basis in fact - but if any of it does eventually turn out to be true, Boreanaz may not be out of a job just yet.  ;)

Anyone interested in reading what's going around should go here...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2004, 06:54:49 AM »
Looks like my impatience over the lack of casting information was rewarded (?) within hours of my late-night post on Thurs/Fri.  ;D

Maybe I just have DS on the brain but she bears a resemblance to Lara Parker. I hope she colors her hair brown. Trying to keep an open mind until I see the new show. 8)

Maria, it's not just you.  I immediately thought of Lara Parker with my first glance of the first photo of Ms. Shelton posted in this thread.  That impression was reinforced with the second photo posted.

I really don't see any resemblance to Nancy Barrett.  Like Ms. Parker, the young actress has very large eyes, rather a cute-little-button nose, and a full mouth and lips similarly shaped.  This reminds me of a book I read once on beauty that described what is generally deemed universally beautiful in a woman's face, and the attributes included slightly babyish, childlike quality of features (the large eyes, etc.), such as Marilyn Monroe epitomized.

Also worth noting is the mention of the replacement director for the pilot episode.  What fantastic news that a director of this stature will be onboard to get the new series off and running.  I've wanted to see the new Peter Pan, and although I haven't, I was impressed with the qualities I saw in an extended preview of it, especially the vivid visual, magical look of the new film, and also the sensual quality of Wendy's awakening and the pagan underpinnings of "the Pan" ... it looked like a layer of sophistication beneath the surface of the timeless children's story.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2004, 12:48:47 PM »
Hey, she does look a great deal older in the photo Stuart posted and very attractive.  Hate to say it as I mature it seems everyone looks younger.hehe.  Mind you it kills me that I am the oldest one at my place of employment, not that I act it.  STill horrified that I have a child 22 and no one seems shocked.  Back to DS... I was telling my children about the new DS last night at super, real food, advising them to check it out when it airs. {MB how is that for a good example}  The l5 and l3 year old seemed interested, the oldest said he isn't into the vampire thing, must get that from his father's side of the family, but might check it out anyway.

Birdie--coffee this morning no M & M's. 
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2004, 05:18:30 PM »
Marley does bear a passing resemblance to Lara Parker, although from the few things I've seen her in, I don't know if she's quite right for Angelique. I'm not sure how well she would portray "sinister." I did see Sugar and Spice a while back; I think it was on HBO when I was a con last year. The movie was sort of a (mediocre) black comedy, though from I recall, she was reasonably good in it. She may well be a fine choice for Vicki, although I'm not likely to ever get over Joanna Going. I've putting in requests since 1991 for Joanna to come be my governess, but I guess they keep getting lost in the mail.

--Mark

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2004, 03:21:50 AM »
I re-watched my "Pleasantville" DVD today and was pleasantly surprised.  Marley's really photogenic onscreen (a lot more than the stills I've seen, certainly) and she played innocent really well, without seeming stupid.  I can really see a lot of qualities in that performance that will work for Vicki.

And yeah, I think PJ Hogan is a wonderful choice of director - a lot better than Bowman in some respects.  While I like a lot of Rob's work, he doesn't really strike me as an "actor's" director, and he has a kinda slick coldness to his stuff.

Hogan's track record is much more character-based, and should certainly nail the romance element.  I can really see his take on "Dark Shadows" being much more fairy-tale and magical, with child-like wonder.  Could be good :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2004, 04:21:30 AM »
But so long as the word gets out, it surely doesn't matter who posts it.

Apparently there was no worry that the news of Marley Shelton's casting would get out. Just for the fun of it I did a Web search on the subject and came up with over 30 sites that have reported the news in the past two days (the vast majority of which have no connection to DS whatsoever).  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »
David Boreanaz on working with Marley Shelton:

You made your mark getting hot and heavy with Sarah Michelle. What was it like to get romantic with Marley Shelton?
Marley was just fantastic to work with. I really pushed for her. If she hadn't been my leading lady, I might not have done the film. She has an old-school quality to her very reminiscent of the Golden Age of Hollywood, which I really identify with. Romancing her was beautiful. I loved it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2004, 11:44:05 PM »
I just did my weekly check of the My Entertainment World Web site, and their TV PRODUCTION EVENTS, TV PILOT / TV MINI SERIES chart is reporting that the pilot has a start of production date of March 22nd:

DARK SHADOWS - (TV Pilot - One Hour Drama for WB) - March 22, 2004 - Los Angeles

On the other hand, Variety isn't reporting any start date (well, at least not on the chart on their Web site). However, that might be a smarter move, considering that so many roles have yet to be cast, and who knows if the final choices will have even been made for them within the next 8 days?

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2004, 10:22:46 AM »
I'm wondering what location will be used for the Collinwood exteriors.  The previous one (1991) just screamed "California" -- I had a hard time with the show for that reason alone.  Couldn't say the interiors were my idea of a mansion in Maine, but then I haven't been in a mansion in Maine.

And please don't let them make a Collinwood miniature for the opening credits -- that godawful fake creation for the 1991 series was so tacky, please, God ...

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2004, 10:58:08 AM »
when I was a con last year.

Say what, Mark???!! :o

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2004, 01:36:51 PM »
I'm wondering what location will be used for the Collinwood exteriors.  The previous one (1991) just screamed "California" -- I had a hard time with the show for that reason alone.  Couldn't say the interiors were my idea of a mansion in Maine, but then I haven't been in a mansion in Maine.

And please don't let them make a Collinwood miniature for the opening credits -- that godawful fake creation for the 1991 series was so tacky, please, God ...

I think it would be neat if they could again use Seaview as the model for Collinwood.  They could construct fake facades for exterior close shots, plus create another model for long-range shots, but this time around with better computer graphics combined with more detailed miniatures, it would not have to look like that horrible Legoland thing from the '91 series.  For Pete's sake, the shot of Rose Cottage from the original, which was nothing more than that dollhouse set before a pic of trees, looked more realistic.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2004, 03:36:52 PM »
That would be a nice nod to the original fans of the show, Gerard. It's probably unlikely that they would do so because of cost. I think it would also be thrilling to recreate the interior sets from the original series. At least the foyer and landing, and Drawing room sets. Wishful thinking, I know, but it would be nice.

I remember the first time I got to revisit the series in the 90's (I think) on video and how wonderful is was for me to see the old sets again, it was like seeing an old friend I hadn't seen in 20 years. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, lol. I laugh, but it really made me feel that way.

Now, if we could only get them to film the new series in black and white - just kidding folks! ;D