Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173178 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »
Now, if we could only get them to film the new series in black and white - just kidding folks! ;D

Now wouldn't THAT be bold and innovative? Oh, wait....this is commercial television.  Never mind.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2004, 08:24:29 PM »
I came across an interesting bit of news regarding Marley Shelton on the Latino Loop Web site:

LATINO LOOP for the week of March 1 - 7, 2004
   Director Robert Rodriguez (Once Upon A Time in Mexico) is
adapting Frank Miller's novel "Sin City" for film. Josh Hartnett
and Marley Shelton are set to star in the flick, about the shady
inhabitants of a sinister city where morality is highly lacking.

So I checked through Variety's archives and came across this:

'Sin' tempts Dimension
Robert Rodriguez has committed to direct "Sin City," an adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic noir crime novel series. Dimension Films co-chairman Bob Weinstein has given Rodriguez the go-ahead to begin shooting next month in Austin, Texas.

Posted 2/25/04 10:00pm

So, unless Shelton's participation in the film has somehow changed and I just haven't come across that bit of news yet, apparently it looks like Shelton will be doing double-duty, acting in both "Sin City" and the DS pilot because, according to an article that was posted on Variety's Web site yesterday, the film is already in production in Austin. (Which may mean keeping her hair blonde if that's the look Rodriguez wants for the film...)

Regarding Shelton being a blonde, I thought of something that might be interesting if they do decide to leave Vicki blonde (and not go with a brunette wig): What if the new series is planning to explore the possibility that Vicki actually is Liz's daughter and Carolyn's sister? If they cast a blonde as Carolyn, that would make the resemblance between Vicki and Carolyn more pronounced than it has been in past DS incarnations. And (horror of horror to the "purists") they could even cast Liz as a blonde (though, if memory serves me correctly (and I'm sure our resident Bennett expert, Luciphil, will correct me if I'm wrong), wasn't Joan Bennett a natural blonde who dyed her hair darker in order to get better roles in Hollywood?).

As for the house they'll use as Collinwood - I think I miight actually be anticipating learning that news more than I am learning who'll be cast in the remaining roles.  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2004, 10:07:58 PM »

So, unless Shelton's participation in the film has somehow changed and I just haven't come across that bit of news yet, apparently it looks like Shelton will be doing double-duty, acting in both "Sin City" and the DS pilot because, according to an article that was posted on Variety's Web site yesterday, the film is already in production in Austin.

That doesn't sound easy -- especially when the role of Victoria Winters is a major one.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2004, 10:26:53 PM »
I came across an interesting bit of news regarding Marley Shelton on the Latino Loop Web site:

Good catch!
I just checked with the Hollywood Reporter and it also lists the production of Sin City starting in March with Josh Hartnett. What gives?
As I indicated before I am not at all thrilled with the selection of Shelton playing Victoria. I am concerned that perhaps in time she may not pull off playing a character in her early twenties.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2004, 10:39:02 PM »
I am concerned that perhaps in time she may not pull off playing a character in her early twenties.

Well, do we actually know that Vicki will be in her early-20s in the WB DS? Vicki was 20 when the original DS began in '66 - but Vicki was aged to 25 in the '91 series. Perhaps Vicki has been similarly aged in her new incarnation - or perhaps even older than 25...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2004, 10:49:20 PM »
Well, Joan always described herself as being blonde in her early years.  I have no doubt that she had help from beauty products in the films in which she appeared as a blonde--this was the 1930s when artifice ruled.

In all seriousness, I think the only way folks are going to be able to enjoy the New WB Dark Shadows is to forget about every previous version of the series and just take it as a brand new product.  As far as I was concerned, even though she was dark and pretty, the only thing the Vicki of the 1991 redaction had in common with the 1966 character was the name.  (It was rather sweet that someone had the idea of having Victoria Winters in that series *born* in the year 1966--definitely a nod to the fans.)

I think it would be interesting to cast totally AGAINST the expected type for some of the roles. For instance, I always thought it would have added extra dimension to have had Angelique played by a dark skinned actress with a Caribbean flair to her.  That would have been very controversial in 1967, but it would add all sorts of plot stuff to play with in the new series, particularly if the series incorporates a more realistic view of US society in the 1790s (lol did I just write "realism" in connection with a WB show?  quick, MB, hand me the smelling salts, I must be poor in the head!)

G. 

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2004, 11:16:22 PM »
For instance, I always thought it would have added extra dimension to have had Angelique played by a dark skinned actress with a Caribbean flair to her.

This would indeed be interesting. At least one of the Ross Dark Shadows novels (I believe it was The Foe of Barnabas Collins) described Angelique exactly this way. I imagine it was written directly from the original character treatment, before Lara Parker would have been cast. On the other hand, perhaps not; I'm pretty well convinced Dan Ross never saw an episode of Dark Shadows in his life.

I'm also very much hoping the setting is more convincingly New England-ish. The howlingly obvious California setting of the 91 series (in combination with the Collinwood miniature) was distracting enough to destroy the necessary suspension of disbelief.

--Mark
P.S.
>>when I was a con last year.<<

Say what, Mark???!!

With all the online exchanges that don't even approach the king's English, Darren has to go and catch me in a very silly typo. Watch it, buddy, or I'll edit yer movie! ;)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2004, 11:46:50 PM »
Well, Joan always described herself as being blonde in her early years.  I have no doubt that she had help from beauty products in the films in which she appeared as a blonde--this was the 1930s when artifice ruled.

Agreed. Hence my qualification of "how blonde, I'm not sure"  ;)

In all seriousness, I think the only way folks are going to be able to enjoy the New WB Dark Shadows is to forget about every previous version of the series and just take it as a brand new product. 

This is probably a very good idea. If the actors are good, then I think I can deal  :)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2004, 02:01:25 AM »
Well, do we actually know that Vicki will be in her early-20s in the WB DS? Vicki was 20 when the original DS began in '66 - but Vicki was aged to 25 in the '91 series. Perhaps Vicki has been similarly aged in her new incarnation - or perhaps even older than 25...

Yes that is a good question. Hate to speculate about these things in the dark.  According to the sides, which were used for the 2004 auditions, Carolyn, Haskell and Willie were described to be in their "20s".  Perhaps there is an insider here who knows how old Victoria is suppose to be in the 2004 pilot?

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2004, 09:18:44 AM »
For instance, I always thought it would have added extra dimension to have had Angelique played by a dark skinned actress with a Caribbean flair to her.

This would indeed be interesting. At least one of the Ross Dark Shadows novels (I believe it was The Foe of Barnabas Collins) described Angelique exactly this way. I imagine it was written directly from the original character treatment, before Lara Parker would have been cast.

In "Angelique's Descent," Lara Parker says that Angelique is part black, doesn't she?  That her mother was either half or one-quarter black?

I was rather surprised at that given Ms. Parker's very fair looks.

It would be interesting if this time around Victoria is a blonde and Angelique dark-haired (a la Cassandra).  Guess we need to be prepared to have our preconceptions shaken up, and maybe for the better unless we want another retread of the 1991 series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2004, 10:01:11 PM »
unless Shelton's participation in the film has somehow changed and I just haven't come across that bit of news yet, apparently it looks like Shelton will be doing double-duty ... (Which may mean keeping her hair blonde if that's the look Rodriguez wants for the film...)

Update:

'Sin' tempts Dimension
Rodriguez casts remaining roles; pic's opening already shot

By MICHAEL FLEMING

Robert Rodriguez has committed to direct "Sin City," an adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic noir crime novel series.

Dimension Films co-chairman Bob Weinstein has given Rodriguez the go-ahead to begin shooting next month in Austin, Texas. Rodriguez will produce with Elizabeth Avellan through his Troublemaker Studios label.

Set in Sin City, the film interconnects storylines that involve the unsavory inhabitants of the town. Rodriguez has already shot the film's opening with Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton, and he's now casting the remaining roles as the rest of the film gets under way in March.

Rodriguez said the film consists of multiple storylines involving characters with questionable morals. "The morality tales and a love story revolve around this dark city, which is really the main character in the film."

Date in print: Thurs., Feb. 26, 2004[/b]

So, not only won't Shelton be doing double-duty, but hair color speculation is definitely back in play.  ;)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2004, 01:49:19 AM »
So, not only won't Shelton be doing double-duty, but hair color speculation is definitely back in play.  ;)

This doesn't mean, though, that Ms. Shelton is done with her filming for "Sin City," does it?  Just that it won't conflict with filming the DS pilot next week (supposedly)?  But that still leaves additional DS episodes to film potentially during the remainder of her work on "Sin City"?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2004, 03:29:49 AM »
This doesn't mean, though, that Ms. Shelton is done with her filming for "Sin City," does it?

Perhaps. Or perhaps not. At the moment I'm leaning toward the perhaps she is done.

I haven't posted everything that I learned about the plot of Sin City. Apparently it goes something like this: [spoiler]Marv, a tough guy who meets the girl of his dreams, Goldie, only to see her murdered on that same night, searches every bar and shady hideout in Vegas looking for the killer. Given that Shelton and Hartnett have shot what's being referred to in reports as the film's (10 minute) opening sequence, I'm assuming, which is dangerous, I know, but I'm assuming that she's the murdered Goldie. I suppose it's possible that her character could be seen in flashbacks thereafter... However, the reason director Robert Rodriguez shot the opening, was to hopefully convince Frank Miller (the author as well as artist behind the Sin City graphic novels series) to come on board (which he's been able to do) and to persuade his dream actors to sign on (which he's still in the process of doing) before production resumes on March 29th. If Shelton is Goldie, and if she'is never seen again after her murder, well, then it would seem as if her participation might have already completed[/spoiler]

But who knows? I guess time will tell...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2004, 01:26:14 AM »
From Variety's Web site:

Posted: Sun., Mar. 21, 2004, 3:09pm PT

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Meanwhile, on the casting front, Ivana Milicevic has joined the cast of the WB's "Dark Shadows," while Rachael Harris will star in NBC's "Weekends"; Rashaan Nall has officially been cast in UPN's "One on One" spinoff; and Boogie has boogied on over to UPN's "Nikki and Nora."

Milicevic ("Mind of the Married Man") will play Angelique in "Dark Shadows," from Warner Bros. TV and John Wells Prods.

Wells, Mark Verheiden and Dan Curtis are behind the drama, which is based on the classic vampire sudser.

...[/b]

Date in print: Mon., Mar. 22, 2004, Los Angeles

Now the hunt is on for Web photos of Milicevic!  [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2004, 01:45:35 AM »
Milicevic ("Mind of the Married Man") will play Angelique in "Dark Shadows," from Warner Bros. TV and John Wells Prods.

Whoa!  Thanks for the info, MB.

Ivana Milicevic