Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173629 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #330 on: April 08, 2004, 07:36:05 PM »
But did the article have to appear in that fish-wrap rag of a newspaper?  Having to go to a "NY Post" site makes me want to go wash my hands, and wipe off my monitor screen...... [puke]

I am not going to defend the N.Y. Post here. However, the newspaper has a large readership and any exposure to the new DS can only help us.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
Having to go to a "NY Post" site makes me want to go wash my hands, and wipe off my monitor screen......

I hear you. But the thing is that someone at DCP must have some sort of a relationship with the NYP because more often than not it's the paper that's the first to print updates like this. Large readership or no, it's not the way I'd go - but then, no one asked me.  [lghy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2004, 08:10:41 PM »
Well, since someone in the NEW WB DS production staff is supposedly reading what we write, here's something for them to chew on:

*Memo to your hotshot new makeup artist:  DON'T do a repeat of your award-winning BtVS vamp makeup for the DS Undead.  I'm sure I'm not the only fan out there who'd rather not see Collinsport overrun with Klingon-vamps (as I call them).

*If Robert Cobert ISN'T hired to score the series, please think about a sound that will be eerie, mysterious, and otherwordly, not the reheated Erich Wolfgang Korngold and Delius fests we get for the Smallville scores.
If you're not familiar with the original DS score, something along the lines of the classic Sixties Outer Limits score would work great.

*Memo to Mark Verheiden:  more adult dialogue for Dark Shadows, please?  I realize that the audiences seem to love the pablum you put into the mouths of your characters on Smallville, but we'd prefer a somewhat more sophisticated sound for such characters as Barnabas Collins, Roger Collins, and Liz. Why, on the old series even Willie was known to have a philosophical side.  I realize this is only the WB, so I'm not expecting Shakespeare, Ibsen, or even Tony Kushner. :>

Has anyone here ever seen the short lived WB series Gross Pointe?  Every time I think of things behind the scenes at the NEW WB DS office, I find myself recalling certain scenes of that series.  I really, really need a DVD release for Gross Pointe before the NEW WB DS hits my screen with a big, gooey splat.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 08, 2004, 08:11:48 PM »
Having to go to a "NY Post" site makes me want to go wash my hands, and wipe off my monitor screen......

I hear you. But the thing is that someone at DCP must have some sort of a relationship with the NYP because more often than not it's the paper that's the first to print updates like this. Large readership or no, it's not the way I'd go - but then, no one asked me.  [lghy]

Again, I am not here to debate the quality or the reputation of the N.Y. Post. Your last comment appears to me to be paradoxical to your other post thanking Stuart for posting the same NY Post article. Just out of curiosity MB, it appears that you would rather not have any updates about the new DS than have it come from the NY Post (and thanking Stuart at the same time for publishing the article)?  OK you are confusing me and I am a confused enough person. lol

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 08, 2004, 08:22:36 PM »
No paradox, jimbo. I'm happy for the news in the article, and I'm grateful to Stuart for posting that such an article exists. But I can't say I wouldn't have been happier had it been published in a different paper (well, except maybe the National Enquirer  ::)). That's all...

But news is news. So, I suppose I should just take it where we can get it.  :D

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 08, 2004, 08:41:59 PM »
I can't say I wouldn't have been happier had it been published in a different paper (well, except maybe the National Enquirer  ::)).

I agree. I think the NY Times would be a better source! lol
p.s. This NY Post article has Angel fans at the WB and Whedon discussion boards writing in complaining to the editors of the NY Post about this allegedly pro-DS and anti-Angel article. Maybe we should write to the Post to offset the negativity surrounding this article. I have written to the head of the Post's TV Section at mshain@nypost.com myself. This article has fueled the DS vs. Angel argument all over again and Angel's proposed boycott of DS. Too bad.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2004, 08:49:44 PM »
The article itself doesn't take anything even approaching a stand against Angel. And how is quoting a statement like, '"It's not going to be 'Buffy' and it's not going to be 'Angel,' " a source said, adding quickly, "although we love both of those shows,"' anti-Angel?

I love Angel, and as I've said, I hate to see it go. But it's looking more and more like some of the Angel fans need to seriously limit their caffeine intake because, when it comes to the subject of DS on the WB, they're bouncing off the walls with very little provocation...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 08, 2004, 10:01:35 PM »
The article itself doesn't take anything even approaching a stand against Angel. And how is quoting a statement like, '"It's not going to be 'Buffy' and it's not going to be 'Angel,' " a source said, adding quickly, "although we love both of those shows,"' anti-Angel?

I love Angel, and as I've said, I hate to see it go. But it's looking more and more like some of the Angel fans need to seriously limit their caffeine intake because, when it comes to the subject of DS on the WB, they're bouncing off the walls with very little provocation...

I could not agree with you more MB!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 08, 2004, 10:10:05 PM »
Now let us all pray that no one at the WB is stupid enough to schedule the new DS in the old Angel time slot.....or there will surely be throngs with torches and pitchforks in the streets.  ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2004, 06:16:46 AM »
I saw the WB DS mentioned in a thread on an X Files board tonight and, whereas a few weeks ago in a different thread there were a few people blaming the new DS for Angel's demise and had no interest in watching it, in this new thread tonight several people commented that they were looking forward to checking it out -- cool!

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2004, 06:27:58 AM »
I'm sure I'm not the only fan out there who'd rather not see Collinsport overrun with Klingon-vamps (as I call them).

LOL! [lghy]  I DO agree!!

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 09, 2004, 06:50:43 AM »
As for Frid, it's no surprise whatsoever that he declined an appearance.

Nope, no surprise.  But I'd LOVE to know what role he was offered.  Any ideas?  (That you're at liberty to share?)  (MB?  Darren G.?)  ( ;) :D)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 09, 2004, 06:54:43 AM »
Now let us all pray that no one at the WB is stupid enough to schedule the new DS in the old Angel time slot.....or there will surely be throngs with torches and pitchforks in the streets.  ::)

That would be fabulous. LOL. How's that old saying go? There's no such thing as bad publicity?  ;)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 09, 2004, 08:03:21 AM »
Won't hear a peep from me....

Nancy

« Reply #344 on: April 09, 2004, 06:50:26 PM »
Frid wasn't offered a role per se; just a cameo appearance as an "ominious" figure who warns Victoria Winters on the train about going to Collinwood.

Nancy

I'd LOVE to know what role he was offered.