Author Topic: WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT  (Read 173411 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT
« Reply #480 on: April 30, 2004, 11:58:15 PM »
Sunday at 9pm is when HBO shows whatever is their hottest, or newest program.

Sundays at 9pm is a terrible slot for just so many reasons - that most definitely being one of the major ones.

And I wouldn't want to have to choose between a new DS and the return of "Carnivale" either...... ;)

Well, it wouldn't necessarily have to be an either or - that's why they invented things like VCRs and TiVo. (Though I'm sure you would watch DS and Tape HBO.  [wink2])

But seriously, I still say that a WB DS' best chance for survival is to be slotted after Smallville. (Sorry, JW (if you're reading this  ;)), but The West Wing isn't the powerhouse that it once was. And though it might be awkward to have two of your shows go head to head, that situation is hardly without its precedent - and the WB has already proven that they can carve out their own niche in that slot. Wouldn't you rather see a WB DS get a fighting chance rather than not have it up against one of your shows and consigned to what could amount to almost certain death on Sundays? And, really, how much of a dent could a WB DS put in The West Wing? As successful as it was on Wednesdays, Angel certainly didn't...) The thing that troubles me is that, on paper anyway, LIS would seem to be a better match for Smallville than DS might be...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 01, 2004, 06:12:26 AM »
I am not sure how networks review pilots for consideration for its fall schedule.

I just came across this article about changes that have been made to the ABC pilot screening process by the new exec in charge (for those who don't pay attention to such things, this has been a dismal year for ABC ratings wise and several execs have recently been fired or resigned as a result). Though it's not about the WB, I thought I'd post it because it does provide a fascinating glimpse into the pilot screening/selection process:

Posted: Thurs., Apr. 29, 2004, 10:00pm PT

ABC sheds sked scheme

McPherson overhauls pilot screening, scheduling process

By JOSEF ADALIAN

Barely a week into his new gig, ABC Primetime Entertainment prexy Steve McPherson is already shaking up the way the network sets its new fall sked.

McPherson has radically overhauled the Alphabet's pilot screening and scheduling process, implementing a plan designed to result in more feedback from all levels of the net, numerous ABC insiders said. In recent years, the network's sked-setting process was seen as exclusionary, with a small handful of top execs debating the merits of various pilots and sked scenarios among themselves.

What's more, the screening process will begin sooner -- this Monday -- and last for a full week. Because of that scheduling decision, a number of top Disney execs will likely not be at many of the screenings.

Between the National Cable Television Assn. convention and the opening of the Tower of Terror attraction at Disney's California Adventure, execs such as Michael Eisner, Bob Iger and Anne Sweeney will have a number of previous commitments. As a result, they may opt out of many of next week's formal screenings.

Sweeney will likely still be able to catch some screenings in New York, where many of ABC's sales staff will watch the would-be shows. Eisner and Iger may also stop by the screenings or watch DVDs of new shows.

Among the changes implemented by McPherson:

* Mirroring elements of NBC and Fox pre-upfront meetings, shows will be screened by several groups of staffers, with top execs in the same room as lower-level staffers. A group leader in each room will lead feedback sessions after each show.

In recent years, a small number of very senior brass met in one room to discuss pilots, while one or two much larger groups met in separate rooms. Under that arrangement a VP of drama might never have had a chance to give feedback on a pilot to ex-entertainment prexy Susan Lyne.

* After the morning screenings, McPherson will lead a working lunch session with all screening participants to discuss opinions of shows. A similar meeting will be held in late afternoon.

* Assistants will screen pilots separately, but McPherson is expected to seek input from that group each day.

* Scheduling process will be expanded to a full week, with meetings starting May 10. In recent years, sked meetings were crammed into as little as two days.

* McPherson has asked ABC's pilot testing department to cut to the chase when presenting data from focus groups. Charts and graphs will be downplayed in favor of concise descriptions of aud reactions.

One ABC staffer said the changes should result in a better pilot picking process.

"You had an entire company that was divested of the process at the end of the year," the insider said. "People worked hard on these shows all year long, but at the end of the day, they felt no one cared what they thought."

McPherson's changes are no doubt inspired by his previous gigs at NBC and Fox. "They have a much more collaborative system" at those networks, one insider said.

It's expected McPherson will invite screening attendees to be blunt in their assessments of new shows. One insider said the exec wants to make sure senior execs, including himself, aren't stuck in a cocoon when making decisions.

"There could be a project all (the top brass) love but 20 assistants hate," the insider said.

ABC chief in command

Sweeney is said to have signed off on McPherson's plan. That the screenings aren't being planned around the schedule of some senior Disney execs also seems designed to send a signal that, in a departure, the head of entertainment at ABC is now in command of the screening process.

McPherson has had a busy first 10 days in office, a frame that even included an unpublicized whirlwind trip to New York, where he met with ABC sales brass.

An ABC spokesman and McPherson declined comment.[/b]

Date in print: Fri., Apr. 30, 2004, Los Angeles

I must say that it's nice to see that at ABC, at least, it appears that the results of the focus groups' screenings is just one of many factors in the decision making process and that the ABC execs and staffers have complete discussions apart from those results. Though, of course, that's a topic of discussion for an entirely different subject here on the forum, and as such, if anyone would also like to make any remarks about how the focus groups are mentioned in this article, please do so in that topic. Thanks.  :)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #482 on: May 03, 2004, 02:21:17 AM »
Check out www.collinwood.net for the first official photograph from the new production :)
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 03, 2004, 02:48:03 AM »
two actors showcasing the stunning make-up designs created for the project.

Stunning, perhaps. And the make-up *is* completely out of context. And, of course, for months I've been saying we should not jump to conclusions, especially without any facts to go on. But one does have to wonder just how make-up (and extras? or doubles?) like that fits in with the story. Perhaps a dream sequence - or some sort of flashback/memory? (One can only hope!)

However, I'm definitely still going to keep an open mind...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 03, 2004, 03:36:16 AM »
Dare we hope they gave Johnny the part of the "mysterious old man" on the train who warns Vicky against going to Collinwood?

And I'm not sure why the two "undead" actors come as a surprise....they're certainly a big improvement over poor Jeremiah and his [crazd].........
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 03, 2004, 03:39:12 AM »
the first official photograph from the new production :)

That picture is indeed stunning. Thanks Stuart. Hopefully you will be permitted to post more of them in the near future. John Karlen did not look too frightened. Ha, he is used to battling the evil forces. lol It would be great if he is in the pilot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 03, 2004, 04:09:39 AM »
I'm not sure why the two "undead" actors come as a surprise....

Not necessarily undead. I think what suprised me is undead who appear to be wearing 18th century dress. They'd come as no surprise if the pic was taken from an ep dealing with something like the 18th century flashback. But just how undead from the 18th century fit into a present day storyline is what's a bit puzzling.

But as I said, it's best to keep an open mind here, so I am.  ;)

they're certainly a big improvement over poor Jeremiah and his [crazd].........

True!  :D  But then, you shouldn't judge this show by *anything* from the original. For instance, the '91 series' resurrected Jeremiah didn't look at all like his original counterpart. In fact, unlike in the original DS' first 18th century flashback, [spoiler]the '91 series' resurrected Jeremiah jumped to his second "death" from Widows' Hill rather than harm Josette, whom he had kidnapped[/spoiler]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 03, 2004, 04:22:58 AM »
The bottom line is that, unless one of us is keeping an incredible secret from the rest of us, NO ONE here has a clue how this has been shot.  For all we know, the very first scene is all about Barnabas becoming a vampire in the 18th century....the sort of bewildering but powerful opening that startles us, without explaining anything, and leaves us dying to know what's going on.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 03, 2004, 04:29:33 AM »
For all we know, the very first scene is all about Barnabas becoming a vampire in the 18th century

Well, not if we can believe the spoilers on the barnabasundead site. According to them, the WB pilot begins [spoiler]just as the '91 series pilot and the original DS before it did - with Vicki on the train on her way to Collinsport.[/spoiler] But, of course, that may just be it - at this point, who knows what to believe or even expect? So, perhaps, nothing we see should really be all that surprising...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 03, 2004, 06:18:15 AM »
I have no idea what those two undead guys mean is happening, but they look awesome!  They look like vampire-zombies -- how cool!!!!!  LOL!  Go for it!! :D :D

(And John Karlen -- how extra cool!  Looks like he's having a great time!)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 03, 2004, 08:08:26 AM »
I couldn't tell from that if John Karlen was necessarily in the pilot.  I kind of had the impression that he might have visited the set and posed for the picture.

I also don't think it's necessarily a flashback to a past time.  They look as though they've just arisen from a grave.  They could easily be characters who died way back when and have come out of their graves in present time.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 03, 2004, 12:31:26 PM »
Dare we hope they gave Johnny the part of the "mysterious old man" on the train who warns Vicky against going to Collinwood?

I also don't think it's necessarily a flashback to a past time.  They look as though they've just arisen from a grave.

You know - it occurs to me that you could both be on to something. IF Karlen does indeed play the mysterious stranger - and IF those extras are in some way used to signify Barnabas' return as part of the depiction of his warning to Vicki - that pic would take on a much greater and far cooler significance than if Karlen had merely dropped by the set and just happened to pose for a pic with a couple of extras (which would otherwise make the pic fairly innocuous).

They could easily be characters who died way back when and have come out of their graves in present time.

On the other hand, let's hope that isn't it. Well, at least that they're not some sort of actual returning "zombies" or some such. That sort of stuff was already a bit over the top when it was done on the original and already well established DS - and having "zombies" actually rising from their graves could easily seem like a bit of overkill so soon in the series when its main focus should be introducing the characters, setting the premise, and dealing with its vampire, who should be the exclusive and front and center "undead" character. After all, I think most of us want a new WB audience to look at DS seriously, not as some bit of camp...

Just MHO.  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 03, 2004, 03:43:23 PM »
Karlen looks fantastic.

The BUndead site lists a spoiler about Victoria seeing something terrible on the train, possibly in a dream.  These two could certainly be the stuff of nightmares, brrr!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 03, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »
In the Innovation comic books based upon the 1991 remake, they showed what Barnabas looked like after having been trapped in a coffin with no blood supply for 172 years.

I have to wonder whether one of these guys is meant to be Barnabas as Willie first lays eyes upon him when he cracks open the chained coffin.

I'd also love for Karlen to have been given a part in the new series.

Thanks to Ben Martin for continuing to delight us with his photographic panache, and to Stuart for sharing this on his site.

G.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #494 on: May 03, 2004, 04:08:34 PM »
In the Innovation comic books based upon the 1991 remake, they showed what Barnabas looked like after having been trapped in a coffin with no blood supply for 172 years.

These guys bear a striking resemblance to my appearance in the morning after having been in bed for a few hours with no coffee supply.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)