Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45774 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #405 on: September 27, 2018, 01:00:08 AM »
We have no definite title yet for #4. It's taking much longer to write than Scott and I expected because we're trying to get so much in and make it fit the page count we have.

Well, I suspect they might have had to go over the page count because, while the storyline portion of the first three issues of Book 1 were all 24 pages, Issue #4's page count is 27. And I suspect that partly because of that, the letters column was trimmed to 3 pages rather than 5. And here's the first page of that column (twenty-eighth page):

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

You'll note that while they have some comments about Issue 2, they're still publishing letters about Issue 1...

Not also that the column is now called Dark Shadowbox...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 27, 2018, 03:38:00 PM »
SG #62 shared this ad for Book 1, Issue 4:

Funny how it features a panel from Issue 3 rather than Issue 4...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 28, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
And here's the second page of the third letters column (twenty-ninth page):

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 29, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
MB, in that ad you posted, are Maggie and Roger exhaling cigarette smoke, or is it just really cold?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 29, 2018, 03:58:02 PM »
 [pointing-up]  It's just really cold.

Check out reply #346 -
And here's the ninth page:
- for the actual panel featuring Maggie and Roger (and snow!), check out reply #349 -
And here's the eleventh page:
- for panels featuring Willie's and Roger's breath (and more snow!), and check out end of the SG update shared in reply #288 -
Here's the first part of the comics update in SG #61 from August 1992
- to read how they planned to deal with New England in winter.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 29, 2018, 05:26:12 PM »
Given that the comics are promoting the MPI VHS tapes of the '91 Series, I decided to share this from SG #62:

That photo of Barnabas and Vicki would seem to have been the goto photo for the initial promotion of MPI's VHS tape for Episode 1 because it has been used in the comics' ads and the ad SG shared - though it's funny that it's actually used as the cover for the Episode 5 tape. Plus, MPI's catalogues use an array of totally different photos for the Episode 1 tape.

And it's interesting that they report that the status of the '91 DS compilation tape is "uncertain and not yet finalized". As many may recall, the reason why none of the material on that tape could be included on the '91 DS DVD sets is because you know who, who put the tape together, never got written clearance to use the material that he included on the tape. So, it's a wonder that the tape ever came out at all. (Though it's great that it did because it has some fantastic material on it, including a deleted scene that wasn't restored to MPI extended pilot because I don't believe it was included in the final edit.) And something that I had totally forgotten is there was actually a really long wait before the tape was released. I glanced through MPI's catalogues and there was no mention of it in the '93 catalogue, the '94 catalogue listed it in a "Coming Attractions" section, the '95 catalogue listed it as coming out in August of that year, however, a check of the '96 catalogue reveals that it didn't actually come out until July of that year!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 30, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »
[pointing-up]  It's just really cold.

Thanks, MB. I guess that stuff flew right by me. The idea of cold winter weather and DS together is just so alien to me...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 30, 2018, 04:32:27 PM »
The idea of cold winter weather and DS together is just so alien to me...

As are most of us.  [ghost_smiley]  We're used to green grass and green leaves on trees all year long. Frankly, as I've said before, Collinsport would seem to be an environment where even palm trees could not only exist but thrive.  [ghost_wink]

Though, of course, we're talking about the daytime show there. The '91 Series actually showed trees that had their leaf color change in the fall - and that alone may set its Collinsport apart from the daytime show...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 30, 2018, 05:14:08 PM »
Here are the second and third pages:

(Click here for a 2656X1996 version)

And as usual, there's a bit of dialogue and a panel that weren't included in the slideshow...

Also note that they apparently decided to name Issue 4 Swann's Way...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 30, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »
SG #62 shared the artwork for Page 3 without the dialogue and the DS logo:

It's interesting that it shows a bit more of Barnabas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »
And here's the third and final page of the third letters column (thirtieth page):

It's interesting that when someone questioned something that they actually didn't get wrong but got right, they didn't defend themselves, yet they bend over backwards to defend things that they did indeed get wrong. When it comes to the former, with reference to Charles J. Sperling questioning why Angelique was in Collinsport without Josette, they could have rightly pointed out that, just as in the daytime series, it's made clear that Angelique arrived in Collinsport with Natalie and ahead of Josette.

One thing that I find very interesting, though, is that I know for a fact that several people who wrote in letters had their letters severely edited - and what was cut were the critiques of the comic. I'm personally acquainted with two people who wrote in and only their praises of the comics got published, while their complaints were nowhere to be seen in the letters column. And I've heard of others making the same claim. But apparently they wanted to focus on the praise rather than deal with the complaints. And I suppose that could make sense because they wanted the letters column to promote the comics. But still, it may have given an erroneous impression that the people writing in were all loving all aspects of the comics with few complaints...

Also, when the releases reached Book 2, the comic did indeed start to come out on a monthly basis because Issue 1 came out in April '93 and Issue 2 came out in May - but that didn't last long because Issue 3 didn't come out until August, with Issue 4 coming out in October. (If only they had been able to stick to a monthly schedule we might have actually gotten all of Book 3 instead of just Issue 1.)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »
I know a few people who had their letters published in the book.  One of them was on the first page posted. I never wrote in myself but, even at the height of my comics mania, I never did. The books seemed to be printed so far in advance that any comments or criticisms were unlikely to have any effect on the overall storyline.
My memory is a little hazy on this but I seem to remember that Innovation caused a fan some grief by printing her real name instead of her chosen pseudonym and her home address which she wanted withheld.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 08, 2018, 12:38:35 AM »
Here's the fourth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And note the skipped panel and the skipped dialogue...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 12, 2018, 05:03:09 AM »
It seems like a torrential rain storm  (not Michael related) has knocked out my computer's Interet (I"m on my phone) so I have no idea when the next installment of the comic's slidesvhow will be able to be uploaded. Until then, I suppose we'll enjoy hoDS...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 12, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »
My connection is finally back and things have been uploaded. But chances are everyone will need to clear their browser's cache to see the comic's graphic/quote. So, if you're not seeing -

Book One/Issue Four/Page 5 - Swann: '“BUT MY LIFE WAS NOT
TO BE A SIMPLE ONE. AS THE YEARS PASSED, MOST OF MY
FLOCK GREW OLD AND DIED BEFORE THEY HAD PASSED A
CENTURY, BUT MANY DID NOT.' Swann: '“EVEN AMONG
THOSE WHO LIVED LONG, I WAS BLESSED WITH VIGOR.'

- you need to clear the cache...