Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45819 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #360 on: August 24, 2018, 04:12:58 PM »
(At least I can post this because I'd uploaded it a week ago.)
And here's the fifteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Another page where we used all the dialogue/journal entries and all the panels.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 24, 2018, 11:02:55 PM »
Interestingly enough, what began with yesterday's second quote in the slideshow is a dream Barnabas is having of actual events/scenes that took place during the 1790 sequences on the '91 Series. Fans familiar with the series will probably instantly recall the scenes simply by reading the quotes Midnite has picked out, and so if we were going to have a problem with uploading scans from the comic, this is quite possibly, well, not the best time for it to happen, but at least an opportune time.

Once the problem with the FTP is settled, I'll be uploading the skipped over scans, so in anticipation of that I'm going to post the slideshow's quotes as if the scans have actually been uploaded, and then that way once they are, they'll appear in the posts so that anyone interested will be able to go back to them to see what would have appeared in the slideshow.

First up, yesterday's second quote:

Book One/Issue Three/Page 16/Dream - Barnabas:
'ANGELIQUE!' Barnabas: 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!'

And you'll notice that I've fixed things so that the wrong scans will no longer be displaying in the slideshow. But hopefully things will get back to normal sooner rather than later...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:10 PM »
And here are today's entries in the slideshow:

Book One/Issue Three/Page 16/Dream - Angelique: 'YOU
WOULD NOT COME TO ME IN LIFE, BARNABAS.' Angelique: 'I
HAVE GIVEN YOU ALL ETERNITY TO CHANGE YOUR MIND.'

Book One/Issue Three/Page 16/Dream - Barnabas:
'ETERNITY...?!'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 25, 2018, 12:53:50 AM »
As you can see, access to the FTP is back...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
And here's the sixteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Another page where we used all the dialogue/journal entries  - though this time we skipped the first panel because there was nothing to quote associated with it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:04 PM »
SG #61 also shared a preliminary sketch for Panel 4 on Page 16:

Note that the placement of the dialogue is sometimes entirely different from where it ended up being in the final version...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2018, 06:00:16 PM »
When it comes to the scene that Barnabas recalls in his dream, it's just a bit different in Ep #10 of the '91 Series. It actually begins with Millicent coming down the stairs in the foyer while carrying hat boxes. After she reaches the first floor and puts them down on the floor, she hears a door unlatch. She calls out to Ben, but when she turns toward the door at the far end of the corridor, all she sees is a figure silhouetted against the light coming in the door. She calls out to Ben again, but as the figure moves closer, she soon has the shocking realization that it's Barnabas, who was buried that day. She says his name in shock and screams in terror when Barnabas bares his fangs and moves in to attack her. Though during the attack she actually moans in what could be considered pleasure as Barnabas takes her to the floor.

And it is after all that that Barnabas suddenly begins to hear Angelique repeatedly laughing -

Angelique: 'Hahahahahaha Hahahahahaha'

- and then we see Angelique floating in the foyer as she -

Angelique: 'Hahahahahaha'

- continues to laugh - and soon Barnabas sees her -

Angelique: 'Hahahahahaha'

- as well, as all the while she continues to laugh as he looks back to what he's done -

- to Millicent and the realization of it -

- sinks in - and he then stands to look up at Angelique as -

- her laughter subsides - Angelique then asks him -

Angelique: 'Do you enjoy your new life, mon cher?'

- to which the comic starts the scene with Barnabas begging to know -

Angelique: 'ANGELIQUE! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!'

- and Angelique replies -

Angelique: 'YOU WOULD NOT COME TO ME IN LIFE,
BARNABAS. I HAVE GIVEN YOU ALL ETERNITY TO CHANGE
YOUR MIND'

- to which Barnabas questions incredulously -

Barnabas: 'ETERNITY...?!'

- and Angelique relishes explaining -

Angelique: 'YES...ETERNITY. AN ETERNITY OF DARKNESS,
FEEDING LIKE A BEAST IN THE NIGHT ON HUMAN BLOOD.'

Angelique: 'ALONE--FEARED AND REVILED BY EVERY
LIVING CREATURE. AND ANYONE WHO DARES TO LOVE
YOU...SHALL DIE!'

- and in the actual scene Angelique also adds -

Angelique: 'This is Angelique's gift to you, mon cher.
Her curse.'
- and Barnabas nods no as she adds -

Angelique: 'And no one shall undo it.'

- but none of that is included in the comic - so in the comic Barnabas replies only to the part about him being reviled and how those who love him shall die with -

Barnabas: 'THEN KILL ME! KILL ME, IN GOD'S NAME, AND
BE DONE WITH IT!'

- and note that in the scene he actually says "IN GOD'S NAME" rather then the comic's "IN THE NAME OF GOD" - but to that Angelique responds with -

Angelique: 'HOW CAN I? I LOVE YOU FAR TOO MUCH FOR
THAT, MON CHER. HAHAHAHAHAHA'

- and that's where the comic ends - but in Ep #10 after Angelique disappears, Barnabas turns to look back in horror at what he's done to Millicent and he falls to his knees, looks up toward heaven and begs God to help him.

(And I apologize for taking captures from the DVD set with its incorrect color timing and aspect ratio rather than the VHS with its correct color timing and aspect ratio. But it's such a hassle to set up a VCR for captures - and even though I've made digital copies of the tapes, I'm not quite sure where I've stored them...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 29, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
And as you've probably already noticed, today's installment in the slideshow begins another incident in Barnabas' dream in the comic where he's dreaming about actual events/scenes that took place during the 1790 sequences on the '91 Series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
Hmm - when it comes to today's first quote -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 17/Dream - Angelique: 'I
WILL FETCH YOUR TRAVELLING CASE.'

- was the comic trying to be clever? "Traveling" (with one "l") is the preferred spelling in the US. But "travelling" (with two) is the preferred spelling used in the UK. Did the comic use "travelling" because Barnabas' family originally came from the UK (even though it's Angelique saying the word). Or was it a boo-boo? We'll never know. But considering the comic hasn't used other UK spellings...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 31, 2018, 06:49:32 PM »
Good question, MB!  I decided to look it up and all sources said both versions are correct.  When I typed both on a document, neither came up with the squiggly spellcheck line.  I guess it's like "cancelation" and "cancellation."  Of course we patriots write "color" while the redcoats write "colour." 

So, did the author deliberately write the British version or was it a mistake?  I guess we won't know.  Maybe the author was being tricky.  It reminds me of when I read S.E. Hinton's addition to the fallen-apart revival of the Harper-Collins DS novels, Hawkes Harbor which was initially titled Collinsport.  All our characters and locations were there but renamed - save for just one time when Ms. Hinton threw in her tribute to us DS fans and called the renamed Roger Collins, Roger Collins.  How wonderfully sneaky of her and I'm surprised you-know-who didn't throw a hissy fit and call out his bevy (or is it "bevvy?") of lawyers.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
And here's the seventeenth page:

Another page where we used all the dialogue, journal entries and panels. In fact, some of the panels were scanned in multiple ways due to the dialogue and journal entries in them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2018, 06:12:15 PM »
Observant members and those with a good memory of the '91 Series will have already realized that with today's installment in the slideshow Barnabas' dream in the comic has shifted to a different 1790 scene from the '91 Series. It will continue for all of this week...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 06, 2018, 08:54:51 PM »
When it comes the differences with regard to how the two 1790 scenes actually play in the '91 Series and how they play in Barnabas' dream in the comic, my original intent was to wait until after both had concluded in the comic. However, as I was just watching how the scene on Page 17 actually plays on the show, I've realized that there are so many differences that I'm going to do them separately.

So, with that in mind I'll begin by explaining that in Ep #8 of the show the scene actually begins with Vicki up on the landing watching the arrival of Josette and at first she is unaware that Angelique is behind her watching her reaction to Josette as well as Josette's arrival - and it isn't simply Josette who has arrived because her father Andre is also down in the foyer with Joshua as Barnabas calls out to Josette, who turns and sees Barnabas coming down the stairs accompanied by Naomi, who welcomes Josette to America, and after Josette has thanked her, Naomi goes to join Joshua - and as things progress in the background with the other three is when Barnabas actually comes to Josette's side and says -

Barnabas: 'YOU'RE HERE, AT LAST. THANK GOD.'

- without first addressing her as Josette, as he does in the comic, and then he hugs her - but unlike the comic, Josette's line does not immediately follow in the show because things shift to the landing with Angelique moving to Vicki's side as we hear Joshua ask Andre -

Joshua's Voice: 'Was there trouble in the crossing?'

- and Vicki turns to Angelique as Andre begins to reply with -

Andre's Voice: 'Ah, we had eleven days of nothing but
gale--'
- and concludes with -

Andre: '--force winds and rain.'

- as he also kisses Naomi's hand, though it's not likely that any of that registered with Barnabas because he was still too occupied hugging Josette - and then back up on the landing Angelique tells Vicki -

Angelique: 'I must go to my mistress.'

- and then moves off, so clearly Angelique was not already on the stairs as she's depicted in the comic as Barnabas and Josette greet each other - and it's not actually until after all that that Josette tells Barnabas -

Josette: 'YOUR EYES, I HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN THE DARK
FIRE OF YOUR EYES.'

- and note that in the scene she actually says "OF YOUR EYES" rather than the comic's "IN YOUR EYES" - (and also take note that Ben Loomis has joined the group - his eye-patched head can be seen next to Joshua) - and it isn't even then that Angelique comes down the stairs because the next one on the scene is Natalie, who interrupts Barnabas and Josette with -

Natalie's Voice: 'Oh-pa.'

- and then we see Natalie and she comes down the stairs saying -

Natalie: 'Cherie.'

- followed by Josette greeting her with -

Josette: 'Aunt Natalie.'

- and Natalie kisses each of Jostte's cheeks as she says -

Natalie: 'I was so worried.'

- as Barnabas moves down the stairs to join the others - and then Josette replies with -

Josette: 'I knew you would be.'

- and then Natalie tells Josette -

Natalie: 'You look wonderful. Fantastique.'

- to which Josette replies -

Josette: 'I am fantastique.'

- and it isn't until after all that that Josette sees Angelique - but continuing with the scene will have to wait until next time...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:45 AM »
Oh, I absolutely adored Ms. Steele as Natalie. And it looked like most of the actors were having a wonderful time playing their 1790 characters. I'm going to have to dig this up and watch it again sometime soon.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
We take some time away from recapping Ep #8 to point out that, with today's scan, -

- the comic's tribute to Angelique cleavage continues to rear its head -

- or at least something about artist E. Silas Smith is rearing its head...