Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45634 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
Here's the fifteenth page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And take note that this page contains dialogue and a panel that weren't featured in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2018, 09:24:01 PM »
Now that we've moved past the flashback scene to the drawing room when Barnabas introduces himself, I'd like to share two of the extras that were given to subscribers of the comics. We've already seen how the first issue was autographed, but in addition to that, David Campiti drafted a welcome letter -

(Click here for a 1528X2070 version)

- and an 8X10 cast photo with all the actors who'd taken part in the entire drawing room scene (sadly, not autographed - and which had been published in the DS Companion shortly before the '91 DS premiered) -

(Click here for a 2009X1328 version)

- was also included.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2018, 09:47:31 PM »
I wasn't a subscriber, prefering to get my comics when I visited the local comic book store each week. I do have the cast photo that I purchased at Jerry Ohlinger's store in NYC. I don't suppose that subscribers got a refund on the issues that didn't come out.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
It's probably obvious, but just in case it's not, today's quote -

Book One/Issue One/Page 16 - Liz: 'DEAR BROTHER, WE DO
NOT NEED DAVID PUTTING SPIDERS IN WITH MY TEA BAGS!'

- takes place back in the present of the comic on the day Julia has taken Barnabas and Vicki to the lab. Two panels and bits of dialogue from Page 16 have been skipped because, as we'll see when I share Page 16, all they really do is established that the three are back at Collinwood, that Julia has dropped Vicki off in Collinwood's courtyard before she brings Barnabas home, and that Vicki thanks Julia for a cheeseburger.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
I don't suppose that subscribers got a refund on the issues that didn't come out.

Nope. SG announced that supposedly Innovation was going to give refunds, but they never did.

Actually, one of the reasons Midnite and I felt pretty safe to do a slideshow featuring the comics is because it's extremely unlikely that anyone who was connected to Innovation would come after us for what they might perceive as possible copyright issues because if they surfaced publicly, they might easily risk creditors pouncing and/or subscribers to the DS comics (and perhaps subscribers to other Innovation comics as well) coming after them for refunds.

(My original thought was perhaps going back to the slideshow for the '04 DS pilot, correcting errors, and sharing actual screen caps. However, when Midnite and I could no longer locate a copy of the pilot on YouTube, we figured it had been taken down again for copyright issues...)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 11:08:04 PM »
Quite interesting, to say the least. Bill Mumy just announced that his Lost in Space story Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul, which was also left unfinished when Innovation went under, is being reprinted in complete form later this year. David Campiti is on Facebook, though I have not friended him, so I have no idea if he is still active in comics. I don't recall seeing him at any shows.

More drama about the 2004 pilot? Why am I not surprised? I think that I know at least one of the people who reported it, as he has bragged about doing it in at least one group. To say that he has dubious standards is an understatement.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »

Actually, one of the reasons Midnite and I felt pretty safe to do a slideshow featuring the comics is . . .

I'd been thinking of asking how you could post these!!
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2018, 09:42:10 PM »
Here's the sixteenth page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And take note that this page contains quite a bit of dialogue and panels that weren't featured in the slideshow...

And apparently there was a full moon shining in the top right panel.  [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2018, 01:42:40 AM »
And apparently there was a full moon shining in the top right panel.  [wink2]

[laughing4]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
Something has always bothered me about yesterday's exchange in the slideshow:

Book One/Issue One/Page 16 - Roger: 'ELIZABETH, WHEN
ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THAT GIRL WHY YOU REALLY
BROUGHT HER HERE?'

Book One/Issue One/Page 16 - Liz: 'IN MY OWN GOOD
TIME, ROGER--'

Sure, it's obviously establishing that there's more to Vicki being hired as David's governess than meets the eye. (And those of us who've read about the plans they had for the comics know that it was going to be revealed that Vicki is Liz daughter.) But the exchange, at least to me, seems to imply that Roger is aware Liz had a hidden motive in bringing Vicki to Collinwood and he may even know what that motive is. However, that flys in the face of Roger and Liz's first scene together in the pilot where Roger is none too happy that Vicki has been brought to Collinwood, he doesn't see the need for her, and he practically demands to know why Liz did indeed bring her, but Liz uses excuses like how she has faith in their lawyer (he found Vicki), Vicki is highly qualified, and Roger shouldn't continue to deny the fact that the town school will never take David back (for some mysterious reason that at that time we didn't know). Clearly Roger had no knowledge that Liz had a hidden reason - and clearly Liz gave no hint that she might have had one. And that all begs the question of just when did Roger find out that Liz did have a hidden reason and perhaps even discover what it is when Liz' behavior gave no clue, and even if she did have a hidden reason, she clearly didn't want Roger to suspect that she did? The comics claimed to be answering questions left unanswered by the '91 series, not creating new questions...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:15 PM »
I suppose it's possible that Elizabeth may have had more than one hidden reason for bringing Vicki to Collinwood. Or that Roger only thinks he knows why.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2018, 10:38:14 PM »
But my real problem is that clearly in the comic, by stating she'll reveal it to Vicki in her own good time, Liz lets on that she has a hidden reason - whereas in the pilot Liz lets on no such thing. So, regardless of whether he actually knows or only suspects what it is, when/how did Roger even get clued in that there IS any sort of hidden reason - and especially one that Liz willingly confirms exists?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2018, 05:13:06 PM »
It seems as if we're only a few pages into the first issue and already there have been several moments that, even with my really limited knowledge of the 1991 series, just do not fit at all with the story and characters as established in the canon of the actual episodes.

I mean compared to some of these dialogue exchanges, the visual gaffes you've cited have been really trivial.

Enjoying this series for what it is rather than what it could have been, nevertheless.  Thanks MB for all your effort with this.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Sorry about the extreme lateness with today's installment in the slideshow:

Book One/Issue One/Page 17 - Julia: 'DON'T BE SO
CERTAIN, BARNABAS. I'VE BEEN WANTING TO SPEAK WITH
YOU ALL EVENING ABOUT SOMETHING THAT CONCERNS US
BOTH.'

Until about 30 minutes ago I'd been without electricity since about 2pm yesterday when the wild rain storm that struck the northeast yesterday knocked it out. (Here's a photo of how I was doing some work last night at my dining room table. I told friends I felt like I was living back in the times of a Jane Austen novel. The only thing missing was a feather quill and a ink bottle!  [wink2]  It's amazing how much we miss the modern convenience of electricity when we don't have it!!)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2018, 08:08:12 PM »
I mean compared to some of these dialogue exchanges, the visual gaffes you've cited have been really trivial.

Exactly!

Enjoying this series for what it is rather than what it could have been, nevertheless.

That's how I feel, too. Though today's quote begins to set up what's a, uh, rather unique twist, and to this day I still don't fully know what I think about it. I understand why they did it. But I still don't know if I think it was really necessary. But everyone can judge for themselves as it unfolds...