Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45580 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #195 on: April 22, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
It was stretching things a bit if Laura was supposed to Lysette's own age because when she did the '91 DS she was 27. But she was technically old enough to have a 9-year-old. And, well, Roger's relationship with Maggie certainly showed he liked younger women.  [b003]

I guess they could've stretched it, but to think Laura Collins was 18 when she gave birth to David, as Roger's wife would've been - at least to me - creepy and not in a good DS way.  Of course, they could've aged the character but, again to me, I just don't know if it was possible with Lysette Anthony's looks.  Lara Parker had the looks to make her appear to be anywhere from the young twenties to the mid-thirties.  I think a good plot line would be to have Laura (played by Joan Collins or whomever) return while Roger showed up with his new wife Cassandra played by Lysette Anthony and let the good times role as the two battle it out to achieve their goals.  Maybe have another bitch-slap-fight in the fountain like in Dynasty.  What fun as they sling supernatural punches at each other!

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
If Joan Collins had played Laura, it would have been a somewhat opposite situation to Roger and Maggie because Collins would have been 57 to Roy Thinnes' 52. Though while 5 years is a lot less of a difference than 22 years with Ely Pouget's Maggie and apparently 25 years with Lysette Anthony's Laura, having a Joan Collins Laura giving birth to David at 48 might have been pushing it as much as Lysette's Laura giving birth to him at such a young age...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 22, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
Soaps always play games with the characters' ages, the SORAS routine, and DS is really no exception. David Selby was 29 in 1970 but he is established as the father of 14 year old Daniel, if the character's age is in synch with David Henesy. There's less of a glitch with Lara Parker who was about 32 at the time and had two sons who were close in age to Henesy.
In the 1840 sequence, a few months later, when Selby is playing another Quentin who is the father of Tad, the character is a bit older, 32.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 22, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
Yeah, if we're judging by daytime soaps' standards, kids can age 10 years in a blink of an eye, yet their parents don't age a day in the same period!  [ghost_nowink]  No one does. And it would actually be funny to age all the characters on a soap every time some kid jumped in age. Who knows how old some characters would actually be?!  [laughing1]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 22, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
Which is why you can sometimes see 5 generations of a family existing simultaneously on soaps. Four generations happens fairly often but five generations usually doesn't happen outside of Dogpatch.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 22, 2018, 09:08:04 PM »
Angelique (once the spirit of the latter was cast out from Julia, or was it Maggie--I can't recall).

Oops, I forgot to address this.

In the beginning of the last ep of the series, Angelique jumped from Julia to Maggie - and Angelique remained in Maggie right up to the final scene. But what's interesting is something that I posted back when we did our first slideshow for the '91 series:

Not that this has anything to do with what was restored by MPI for the '91 Series' finale VHS, but there was more shot for that ep than appears in the restored footage. As the following capture from behind the scenes footage that was shot by a long gone entertainment program named Preview shows, Carolyn/Barbara Blackburn did indeed shoot material for the ep even though none of it was included in either the NBC or MPI versions:

But what's really worth noting when it comes to that capture is that Maggie, who was possessed by Angelique, was supposed to suddenly scream "NO!" at some point after Victoria reappeared and then Maggie was supposed to collapse in Roger's arms. And, of course, none of that is in either version of the ep.  [santa_sad]

So, the original intent may have been for Angelique to leave Maggie's body after her plans to destroy the Collins family were defeated by Vicki's return to the present. But as things play in the final ep, so far as the audience is aware, Angelique is very much still in Maggie. Perhaps Maggie would have collapsed and Angelique might have left her in the first scene of the first ep of a second season - but we'll probably never know what the thinking was behind not including Maggie's collapse in the final ep...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:03 AM »
If Joan Collins had played Laura, it would have been a somewhat opposite situation to Roger and Maggie because Collins would have been 57 to Roy Thinnes' 52. Though while 5 years is a lot less of a difference than 22 years with Ely Pouget's Maggie and apparently 25 years with Lysette Anthony's Laura, having a Joan Collins Laura giving birth to David at 48 might have been pushing it as much as Lysette's Laura giving birth to him at such a young age...

But then, MB, Joan had that ability back in '91 to look up to 20 years younger (honestly, that great actress must've had some secret to be mummified, which would've made her the perfect Phoenix - when she appeared on Roseanne as the the star's cousin, her character was almost two decades younger than her real age).  But to make Lysette Anthony look ten years older would've taken the entire makeup team from The Golden Girls to make Sophia look decades older.  Estelle Getty, who played Dorothy's mother, was actually younger than her "daughter."  I'm sure with enough makeup they could've done it, but to me having Laura being the reincarnation of Angelique who married Roger and then was sent off to a hoo-hoo hotel would've served what plot interest? 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »
having Laura being the reincarnation of Angelique who married Roger and then was sent off to a hoo-hoo hotel

Though we don't actually know that reincarnation is a plot they were planning. What we do know for certain is Laura was institutionalized. But we don't know the complete story behind her institutionalization. And the only other things that we've been led to believe trace back to Maggie's assertion that Laura is a witch with powers she knows how to use. Apparently part of that includes that David can be used as a conduit by Laura. But it might also be that David has inherited powers of his own. Or both. Which brings up the point that while it could be understandable that Laura might use David as a conduit against Roger (when David set fire to a fetish doll in an attempt to kill Roger), why would Laura have used David to start a fire at the town school? So many questions have been left unanswered - and we're not likely to ever get concrete answers to them...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »
Now, I don't want you to reveal any spoilers, MB, but does Laura appear in the comic book series?

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2018, 06:38:00 PM »
If you mean does Laura physically appear in the comics, then I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
Given that the second quote in today's slideshow has already moved to Page 11, here's the tenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

Did we ever see Roger smoking a pipe on the series? I'm not saying we didn't - but if we did, I don't remember it. And it's not a practice any other version of Roger has, so I'm wondering if the comic simply added it on their own?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2018, 05:54:00 PM »
We certainly can't let one of today's panels in the slideshow pass without pointing out that even if double sided tape had existed in 1790, it seems unlikely it would have prevented a wardrobe mishap with the dress Angelique is wearing:

Though why do I suspect that Angelique would have been wearing it around Barnabas for that very reason?  [b003]  And knowing how she operates, I also suspect that wherever Barnabas was, she'd be certain to leave the fireplace unlit or at least dying just so that there would be enough of a chill in the air for more than just an ample amount of cleavage to be on display!  [naughty]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 27, 2018, 07:56:03 PM »
I'm fascinated that the sound a person makes when being fed upon by a vampire is "urk."

And apparently, as we learned in today's first quote, a person makes a similar sound when being grabbed by the throat by a vampire:

[b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »
Here's the entire eleventh page:

And notice that it features dialogue as well as a whole panel that the slideshow skipped over.

Also, is that chair Barnabas is sitting in supposed to be a tribute to the chairs that appear in the drawing room on the original show?  [snow_wink]

(It's interesting that none of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing some of the images for some of the pages of Book 1, Issue 1 are appearing when the forum's system has been downsizing anything from Book 1, Issue 2. I have no idea what's different about the scans I've made of Issue 1 and Issue 2 because I've done them all the exact same way...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2018, 03:30:06 AM »
Here's the twelveth page:

And notice that it features dialogue the slideshow skipped over.

Also, it's interesting that more and more of the images are sticking outside of the panels...