Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45636 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:38 PM »
Well, since then we've seen that DCP will sign off on just about anything. The shark didn't merely jump. It pole vaulted
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 15, 2018, 09:45:27 PM »
 [pointing-up]  Yeah, sadly, there is that...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 20, 2018, 02:44:25 AM »
Here's the twenty-first page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And as you've no doubt noticed, only one very short bit of dialogue was skipped in the slideshow...

I haven't looked at my copies in years but I seem to remember a printing glitch in one of the issues. There were big white splotches on a couple of pages. I mentioned this to the owner of the comic book store who told me that I was welcome to exchange it for a clear copy. But all the ones in the store had the same problem and some were actually worse than mine. Did anyone else experience this? Maybe it was limited to newsstand copies. [snow_huh] [easter_huh] [snow_huh]
I have the same problem with mine on one of the pages. It isn't terrible, but it's certainly noticible.

This is obviously the page I was referring to - and I presume the same page that Uncle Roger mentioned.

Although, if one wants to be fanciful, one can just explain it away as Barnabas and Julia being pelted by snowball meteorites that are so common in the area that no one even mentions them.  [ghost_tongue2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2018, 11:38:07 PM »
As we get close to the end of Book1, Issue 2, it's time to get back to more of the other pages in the issue. I'd previously shared Pages 25 -29, which consisted of the first letters feedback column (see replies #159, #160, #165, #167 & #171). Page 30 is actually the same as Page 31 in Book 1, Issue 1: the ad/order form for the two Abbelare watches (see reply #139). But Page 31 in Book 1, Issue 2 is actually something new: the ad for the Action Hits International Barnabas model kit.

Here's the thirty-first page:

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2018, 01:26:09 AM »
It's been a long time since I've looked at these issues but I seem to remember the blotches being much bigger on my copy. But i really like your explanation!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2018, 08:30:17 PM »
Normally I wouldn't post this until tomorrow - but with so many upcoming things to post in the next several days, here's the twenty-second page a bit early:

And only one bit of dialogue was skipped in the slideshow...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2018, 08:58:24 PM »
This is about where I really began to lose interest in the book. One panel of a set of eyes watching Julia and Barnabas would have been disquieting and effective. This just comes off as overkill. Plus, the artist reveals way too much of the creatures and does it far too soon, ruining any element of surprise whatsoever. I don't care much for the character design either. I guess that the artist was trying to make them look intimidating and spooky. But they come off looking like Smurfs on a lost weekend.
It seems like they were trying to evoke the atmosphere of Roger Corman's The Haunted Palace but it falls far short of that.

Julia's never been there at night?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2018, 01:26:31 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I'm totally confused by this comic book series.  Was it a continuation of the canceled series?  Did it deal with stuff that was "fan-written" during the series?  Was it a parallel world from the series?  I didn't even know that this comic book version existed until some years ago on our beloved DS Forums site.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2018, 02:42:45 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I'm totally confused by this comic book series.  Was it a continuation of the canceled series?  Did it deal with stuff that was "fan-written" during the series?  Was it a parallel world from the series?  I didn't even know that this comic book version existed until some years ago on our beloved DS Forums site.

This is a professionally published comic book series, sanctioned by DCP, and conceived to "expand" on what was seen during the '91 Series and then to continue beyond the series into a Season 2 and beyond. It was always described as something that would fit in perfectly with the canon of the '91 Series (though there are certainly instances where it clearly does not).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2018, 02:50:46 AM »
Before showcasing another page in the issue I need to mention that Page 32 is actually the same as Page 32 in Book 1, Issue 1: the ad/info for the two posters based on the comics (see reply #146). So that means that next up in Issue 2 is its inside back cover. And as I alluded to back when I posted Issue 1's inside back cover, sometimes this page features info that was new and exciting at the time - and this is definitely an example of that because not only does it feature the premiere announcement for the release of the '91 Series on MPI VHS (with new footage), it also features the premiere announcement for the Dark Shadows Resurrected book from PomPress:

Fans of the '91 Series were doubly excited after seeing this!!  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 25, 2018, 12:18:00 AM »
Today's installment of the slideshow is the last one taken from the current page so, here's the twenty-third page:

Note, however, that there are two panels and several bits of dialogue that won't be in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2018, 05:02:36 AM »
And today's installments of the slideshow complete the story portion of Book 1, Issue 2 so, here's the twenty-fourth page:

And I'm with Julia on this one!! But not for the reason the writers might have hoped...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »
And here's the back cover of Book 1, Issue 2:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version

And that concludes everything about Book 1, Issue 2...

As you can see, Liz, Roger and Carolyn have been dropped and Angelique, Prof. Wooddard and David have been added. And there will be more changes on the back cover of Book 1, Issue 3 because, while three particular characters will continue to be featured (and have been since Issue 1), one character from Issue 1's back cover will return, and two new characters will be introduced. But more on that when we get to that back cover...

Note also that the '91 Series' tag line "A Love Story Beyond Time..." has been added. If only the ending of Issue 2 might have focused more on that and less on what it does. But alas... And what's more interesting about the addition of the tag line and its repetition on the back covers of Issues 3 and 4 is that, quite unfortunately, that love story won't be much in evidence in Issues 3 and 4...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2018, 04:57:27 PM »
The appearance of the Barrettstown mutants (or whatever they are) struck me as one of the dumbest and most anticlimactic things that I've ever seen in a comic book. I realize that no incarnation of DS is exactly subtle but this was just ludicrous. And DCP signed off on this?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2018, 08:23:27 PM »
Some info from SG #60 about upcoming Book 1, Issue 3 of the comics and other projects from David Campiti: