Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45655 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« on: January 04, 2018, 12:58:21 AM »
'Book 1'.

Who's book? Lara Parker?

Is the picture supposed to be the Old House?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:53 AM »
All will be explained once I can get around to it.  [santa_smiley]  But so far as which house the scan is supposed to be, check out the quote.  [santa_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 04:35:36 AM »
Hey Patti, I'm pretty sure these images are from a comic book produced as a tie-in to the 1991 DS series (with Ben Cross and Barbara Steele) by Innovation. Here's an article about the comic:

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2014/03/the-inevitable-dark-shadowsdark-shadows.html

Best, G.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »
What's this new Book One Issue One that's now being shown?
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
Now that my question has been added to these other posts, I recall seeing them, but apparently didn't pay much attention!
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:12:02 PM »
I missed Julia's line to which Vicki is responding today...

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
I'm sure I'm the only puppy around here who finds today's panel from the comic book distinctly homoerotic. Right? Oh, Barnie-boo, you BEAST.

I thought I had seen the first few issues of this book. But I have no memory at all of this issue or story.  I remember when it came out I was living in New Haven CT and commuting regularly to teach in Middletown, a neighboring burg. And there was a comic book store somewhere in town, close to the bus terminal I think. I'd stop in and pick up an issue of the Innovation comic occasionally just to have something DS related to peruse on the ride home.

The letters page of the comic was maybe my favorite part of it. Because people would write in and some would share their memories of the 1960s show. The one I remember best was this person who sent in their excerpt from a diary they were keeping way back when, and the entry had to do with an episode aired sometime in January 1971. These episodes (from the final phase of 1840) had yet to be released on home video in the early 1990s, and had never been seen on TV since the original airing.

The fan wrote in their diary about how delighted they were to observe that Angelique's poppet was a Barbie-doll covered with some kind of cheap modeling clay. And as she was incanting furiously and stabbing the poppet with a needle, the clay started to fall off the doll and suddenly Barbie, stark naked alas, had a cameo appearance on DS.

I was smiling riding the bus home that evening.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »
A lot of the panels have been severely cropped to be able to fit the format of the slideshow. For example, today's actually looks like this -

- in the book rather than this -

However, once I get a chance I'll be sharing the pages of Book One so all the artwork and all the dialogue will be seen the way it was intended...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
The complete image is even more sensuous.

It's strangely warm in here for a January afternoon...

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:57 PM »
I had very mixed feelings about the Innovation series. I was glad that they attempted to continue the franchise but the end result was often frustrating. I was quite interested in how they planned to resolve the NBC cliffhanger but less than thrilled that they chose to set the stories during a six week gap in the miniseries. If they had held to a monthly publishing schedule, it would taken over a year to get there. More than 2 years after the show had been off the air. And, to call their schedule erratic, is an understatement.
Innovation produced some pretty good books. The Lost in Space book, though also plagued by delays, was quite well done, especially once Bill Mumy started writing them. Silas Smith produced some extremely nice artwork. But, as good as the painted artwork was, I wonder if that contributed to the delays. It looked quite good but the traditional comic book audience (not the DS audience) seems to prefer pen and ink.
I'll save any other comments for later postings. I do seem to remember that Lara Parker was going to be doing some sort of DS comic for Innovation. Was it the story that she eventually turned into Angelique's Descent?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »
I had very mixed feelings about the Innovation series. I was glad that they attempted to continue the franchise but the end result was often frustrating.

You and I are so on the same page there. I will say that I loved some directions they went in - but to say other directions were frustrating would be a grand understatement as far as I'm concerned - and I often wondered how DCP ever approved them. Though I suppose the main reason may be that a comics audience and a TV audience may not necessarily be the same audience. I don't know.

I'll save any other comments for later postings.

Same here.

I do seem to remember that Lara Parker was going to be doing some sort of DS comic for Innovation. Was it the story that she eventually turned into Angelique's Descent?

I don't know. All that I seem to recall is how she is a part of this Book One series, and she'll first be popping up at the end of Issue 3...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:01 AM »
Since I've never seen the comic book ("gothic novel") attempt to continue the '91 version, I have no idea what's going on from the captions.  Does anyone have a link to the detailed summary?

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:48 AM »
I don't, but here's what I got from what has been posted:

Vicki is startled by the apparition of a strange spectre in the Collinwood foyer, in front of Barnabas's portrait. (I couldn't tell if the ghost was meant to be Angelique, Laura or another spirit.)  Barnabas and Dr. Hoffman enter and seeing that Vicki seems disoriented, suggest she go for a drive with them in Dr. Hoffman's very expensive silver Rolls Royce. (I doubt that this Julia would ever be caught dead in tweed.)  While they're cruising along, Barnabas starts to daydream, and goes into a flashback about Willie releasing him from his coffin. That is where we are now.

Don't know if I missed anything...

Best,  G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 03:33:18 AM »
Gerard, if you go to the link that Gothick posted in post #2, there is a link to an article that the Collinsport Historical Society did on the Innovation series. That story contains a link to a Wiki that will summarize the content of all the issues that were published.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:19 AM »
I forgot to mention that since Willie (in the 1991 show) looks just like Ben, Barnabas thinks he is the latter, not realizing that two centuries have passed. That's why Barnabas calls Willie "old friend" before he attacks him.

I'm fascinated that the sound a person makes when being fed upon by a vampire is "urk."

G.