Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45428 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #330 on: July 20, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »
I'm glad you added the explanation.  Yesterday I was wondering if it were a typo on your part or if you were copying what they had.  Then today I saw it correctly in the script, but followed by your explanation!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:33 PM »
One hopes it was just a typo in the comic - but...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 20, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
Regarding today's quotes -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Liz: 'ACTUALLY, IT'S A
COPY PAINTED BY--'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Roger: '--PAINTED BY
ANOTHER ARTIST.'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Vicki: 'IT'S VERY GOOD.'

- this is how they play in the pilot's script -

- whereupon the script indicates -

Elizabeth turns to Roger, smiles.

- which is when Liz answers with Saturday's second quote -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Liz: 'Actually, it's a copy... It was painted by...'

- before Roger interrupts with Sunday's first quote -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Roger: (overriding, curtly) 'It was painted by another artist.'

- to which the script explains -

Elizabeth gives him a quick glance and frowns.

- and then Vicki comments -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'Well it's very good.'

- with Sunday's second quote - ...

- and as you can see, the comic combined Liz' two lines into one, dropping the "It was" - and the comic also dropped the "It was" from Roger's line - and it dropped the "Well" from Vicki's line -  but interestingly enough each of those quotes is delivered exactly as scripted in the pilot - the differences between the script and the pilot are -

... Though, of course, on the restored MPI VHS not everything plays out quite the way it does in the script. The largest differences are that Liz doesn't turn to smile at Roger when Vicki brings up the painting but rather looks toward the painting as she begins to explain before Roger cuts her off and she gives him a puzzled look, which doesn't escape Vicki. And after all that, Vicki walks over to examine the painting closer before she turns back to say how good she thinks the painting is. ...

- and the biggest differences in the comic are that Liz is standing rather than sitting throughout and Vicki is studying the painting as all three quotes are delivered - and so here are how the three actually look as they play in the pilot -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Liz: 'Actually, it's a copy... It was
painted by...'

- and -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Roger: (overriding, curtly) 'It was
painted by another artist.'

- and -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'Well it's very good.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Roger's voice: 'YOU ENJOY
ART, MISS WINTERS?'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Vicki: 'OH, IT'S ONE OF MY
FAVORITE SUBJECTS TO TEACH.' Vicki: 'I THINK CHILDREN
EXPRESS THEMSELVES VERY WELL THROUGH DRAWING
AND PAINTING.'

- after which the script indicates that -

Roger lights a cigarette.

- before he asks -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Roger: 'Do you enjoy art, Miss Winters?'

- as Monday's quote.

(CONTINUED)

Revised 2/28/90

39     CONTINUED: (2)

And Vicki responds -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'It's one of my favorite subjects to teach. I think children express themselves very well through drawing and painting.'

- with Tuesday's first quote -

... Also, Roger doesn't light a cigarette before asking Vicki if she enjoys art. ...

- and as you can see, the comic drops the opening "Do" from Roger's line, though that's also how Roger actually delivers the line in the pilot - and the comic separates Vicki's quote into two lines along with adding an "Oh" at the beginning of the first, which is how she actually delivers it in the pilot, though she delivers one line right after the other as she walks back over to Roger - and so here are how these actually look as they play in the pilot -

Page 22/Scene 39 - Roger: 'Do you enjoy art, Miss Winters?'

- and -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'It's one of my favorite subjects to
teach. I think children express themselves very well through
drawing and painting.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 22, 2018, 06:16:45 PM »

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Roger: 'I SUPPOSE YOU GET
TO KNOW THEM BETTER.'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Vicki's voice: 'AND THEY GET
TO KNOW THEMSELVES.' Vicki's voice: 'THAT'S THE
CHALLENGE'

- to which Roger replies -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Roger: (cynically) 'I suppose you can get to know them that way.'

- but Vicki explains -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'And they can get to know themselves, that's the challenge.'

- with today's quote - and then the script indicates that:

Roger and Elizabeth exchange a glance, then Roger looks at
       Vicki, there may be more to this young lady than he expected.

... And we see no exchanged glance between Roger and Liz after Vicki comments that the challenge to teaching art is allowing children to get to know themselves - nor do we see any indication that Roger may think there's more to Vicki than he expected.

- and as you can see, Roger's line in the comic is quite different from what's scripted - however, how Roger responds to Vicki in the comic is the exact same way as he responds in the pilot, all dripping of cynicism, which doesn't necessarily translate in the comic - and it's interesting how in the comic Roger suddenly has a drink in his hand, which is something that wasn't scripted or in the pilot - and once again the comic separates Vicki's quote into two lines, though in her case the wording is almost exactly the same as the script, with only the "can" in "can get" dropped, which is also how it's delivered in the pilot - and so here are how these actually look as they play in the pilot -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Roger: (cynically) 'I suppose you can get
to know them that way.'

- and -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Vicki: 'And they can get to know
themselves, that's the challenge.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 23, 2018, 04:06:26 PM »
Regarding today's quote -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Roger: 'I THINK YOU'LL
FIND MY SON AS MUCH A CHALLENGE AS YOU CAN HANDLE.
I'M QUITE CERTAIN DAVID IS DIFFERENT FROM ANY BOY
YOU'VE EVER TAUGHT.'

- this is how it plays in the pilot's script -

A good reason why we don't see any indication from Roger that he might think there's more to Vicki than he expected is that right after Vicki's comment that the challenge to teaching art is allowing children to get to know themselves, Roger launches right into today's quote -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Roger: 'Well I think you'll find that my son is as much of a challenge as you can handle. I'm quite certain he's different from any boy you've ever taught before. Goodnight, Miss Winters.'

- and then the script ends the scene with:

Roger nods and exits. HOLD on Vicki as she watches him go,
       and...

But naturally things don't end quite like that. Roger actually says "Well I think you'll find my son as much a challenge as you can handle. I'm quite certain David is different from any boy you've ever taught" and ...

- and as you can see, with the exception of the introductory "Well", which was dropped in the comic, Roger's line in the comic is exactly the same as what he delivers in the pilot - and here is how this actually look as it plays in the pilot -

Page 23/Scene 39 - Roger: 'Well I think you'll find that my
son is as much of a challenge as you can handle. I'm quite
certain he's different from any boy you've ever taught before.
Goodnight, Miss Winters.'

- and as for how the scene actually ends in the pilot and the comic, we'll see both tomorrow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 24, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »

Book One/Issue Three/Page 8 - Roger: 'GOOD DAY,
LADIES...MISS WINTERS...'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 9 - Roger's voice: '"...I'VE SOME
BUSINESS ON THE WATER."'

... and turns in Carolyn's direction to say "Goodnight, ladies" and then back to Vicki with a simple "Miss Winters" and he leaves. Vicki is somewhat surprised by what Roger has said, Liz is embarrassed, but ...

- and as we saw in yesterday's quote from the script, after summing up David, Roger simply bids Vicki a good night - but as we can see above, Roger actually bids Liz and Carolyn a good night and then adds Vicki afterward - and as you can see, in the comic Roger's first line is quite similar, with only the time of day being different, and then his addressing of Vicki is identical - however, in the pilot, unlike in the comic where Roger adds in today's second quote that he has business on the water (a mysterious remark that will begin to be explained tomorrow), Roger's good nights are then followed by Vicki actually looking to the Roger -

- as his leaves the room - and while one could say Vicki's reaction in the comic looks somewhat surprised, she doesn't look as surprised as she does when -

- she turns back in the pilot - and the comic makes no effort to show -

- Liz' embarrassed reaction at all - and as I wrote back in 2015, this -

... but the devilish smirk on Carolyn's face, which I just love -

- betrays that she's quite pleased that someone has owned up to the truth about David.

- is how the scene wraps in the pilot - and while we do see Carolyn in the final drawing room panel in the comic, her expression by no means conveys as much as Carolyn's expression does in the pilot.

And that's the end of things that were lifted from the pilot's script. And it was nice of them to include it all because, as I wrote back in 2015, it's a shame it was all cut from the NBC version of the pilot because there are some great character moments in the scene. At the time the comic was being put together, it was apparently thought that the scene would never see the light of day, but little did they know that MPI would restore the scene in its VHS release of the pilot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 24, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »
And here's the eighth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And once again this is one of the few times when every bit of dialogue on a page made it into the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »
SG #61 also shared the artwork for Page 7 without the dialogue:

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2018, 04:52:15 AM »
I have all the comics but haven't looked at them in years. Your posts bring back memories on why I got disappointed in them. What started out so brilliantly evolved into a terrible storyline - then the artwork really went downhill. I'm guessing budget cuts forced this. The drawing of Roy Thinnes didn't even look like him anymore... Rod Taylor maybe or even Kirk Douglas... Overall, a better effort than the Gold Key cheapies but morphed into a real letdown.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2018, 03:52:20 PM »

Book One/Issue Three/Page 9 - Roger's voice: 'WHY DO
 YOU BOTHER SEEING THOSE TWO OLD BATS, MAGGIE?'

- and -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 9 - Maggie's voice: 'I JUST
GAVE TAROT READINGS FOR BOTH OF THEM, ROGER.'
Maggie's voice: 'THEY GAVE ME THIS IN RETURN. ONE
OF THEIR STONE SCULPTURES.'

- much of Page 9 of Book 1, Issue 3 lays the foundation for Book 2's storyline. And if you remember that storyline, there's a lot more to what's presented than might appear at first...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 25, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
I do wonder when they actually planned on resolving the NBC cliffhanger.

I seem to recall Campiti saying in at least one of the ShadowGram interviews that they planned to start to work what the show had planned for Season 2 into the comic once they began Book 5, Issue 1. Though, of course, they never got anywhere near that far into the comic...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 25, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
I have all the comics but haven't looked at them in years. Your posts bring back memories on why I got disappointed in them. What started out so brilliantly evolved into a terrible storyline - then the artwork really went downhill. I'm guessing budget cuts forced this. The drawing of Roy Thinnes didn't even look like him anymore... Rod Taylor maybe or even Kirk Douglas... Overall, a better effort than the Gold Key cheapies but morphed into a real letdown.

Honestly, I had few problems with the artwork. Sure, not every character in every panel resembled every actor perfectly. But for the most part I thought they did a really good job. Though each illustrator certainly had his own style - the panels for Book 1 are very different from the panels for Book 2 when Jose Pimentel took over from E. Silas Smith. Though, as much as I like Smith's work, I honestly think Pimentel depicted the characters/actors better than Smith did. And what we saw of Felipe Echevarria, who did Book 3, Issue 1, seemed to have an ethereal style - one that was very fitting for a story that was supposed to focus on Sarah's ghost, and it's a shame we didn't get to see more of it.

The artist whose work might have been least effective was Hector Gomez, who did the covers for all of Book 2 and Book 3, Issue 1.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2018, 12:56:52 AM »
Imagine if they had hired the illustrators from the old Gold Key comic book series.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
 [pointing-up]  The mind boggles at the horror THAT would have been - and for all the wrong reasons. And given that, a slightly wrong depiction of one of the actors here and there seems like a minor issue.  [ghost_wink]