Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45850 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #390 on: September 24, 2018, 01:02:44 AM »
Here's the second part of the comics update in SG #61 from August 1992:

I was never fully able to decide what I thought about Julia's use of magic as part of her cure for Barnabas. That goes completely against any other version of Julia because her other counterparts relied purely on science and that's also the way things are presented in what we saw in the '91 Series. But...

"We try to maintain the continuity and attention to detail as much as possible." Ummm, well, then I guess the excuse is it wasn't possible in those many instances that have been pointed out when continuity went right out the window? Uh, no, that's hardly an excuse.  ::)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:11 AM »
As long as we're on the subject of unanswered (or unanswerable) questions,  how would Barnabas or anyone else detect silver in their veins? Or diamond? Or emerald? Or asparagus?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:35 PM »
Here's the twenty-fourth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And all the dialogue on this page was used for the slideshow - though not only is that because it's important, there's also little of it considering there's only one giant panel, which is the first time we see that in the comic.

And that brings us to the end of the storyline portion of Book 1, Issue 3. Though there are still more pages to deal with...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2018, 10:54:23 PM »
I've already shared Pages #25 - #29 of Issue #3 (the letters column) and Page #30 is the same ad for the Barnabas model that I shared from Issue 2 in reply #273. So in place of that I'm going to share some photos of the model that appeared in SG #60:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
Page #31 of Issue #3 is the same ad for the watches that I shared from Issue #1 in reply #139. So in place of that I'm going to share a write-up for the watches that appeared in SG #61:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
Page 32 of Issue #3 is the same ad for the posters that I shared from Issue #1 in reply #146. And given that SG hasn't really done much with regard to the posters (unlike what I've shared when it comes to the Barnabas model and the watches) there's nothing to share from SG with regard to the posters, so here's the back inside cover of Issue #3:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

Once again it promotes the '91 Series' MPI tapes and PomPress' Dark Shadows Resurrected book with a different design than appeared at the back of Issue #2. And it also lists addresses for SG, TWODS and the Fest.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 25, 2018, 12:21:49 AM »
I never quite understood why the music on the Angelique watch played the theme from Love Story, instead of the Cobert music (not necessarily Josette's theme, any Cobert music would have sufficed). Were there licensing issues of some sort?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 25, 2018, 02:20:00 AM »
And here's the back cover of Book 1, Issue 3:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And that concludes everything about Book 1, Issue 3...

As you can see, Vicki, David and Woodard have been dropped, Roger has returned, and Vincent Hoffman and Lara Hoffman have been introduced.

And as I mentioned previously, the '91 Series' tag line "A Love Story Beyond Time..." continues as part of the back cover despite the fact that the love story wasn't much in evidence in Issues 3 - at least not the Vicki portion of it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 25, 2018, 05:18:04 AM »
And that concludes everything about Book 1, Issue 3...

Actually, that's not true because I just realized that back in June I completely forgot about sharing Book1, Issue 3's front inside cover.  [ghost_embarrassed]  And that might be because for some odd reason, because it's not the case with the other three inside covers, it scanned so badly. But, better late than never, here it is:

And now that concludes everything about Book 1, Issue 3..  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Here's the front cover of Book 1, Issue 4:

And as previously mentioned, this issue didn't actually come out until February '93...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 25, 2018, 05:06:10 PM »
Here's the inside front cover of Book 1, Issue 4:

(What's very interesting is that even in 2004, when the WB pilot was done, the We-Can't-See-Willie-Being-Bitten-On-The-Neck notion was still in full force because the scene cuts off before Willie is attacked. Or at least it does in the version of the pilot that showed up online (I don't honestly recall if it was the case in the version that's been shown at Fests). And also interestingly, even though the scene plays very differently in the script from the way it was shot, even in the script Willie gets pulled into Barnabas' coffin so that the actual attack is not seen. Although, it appears it was actually more for suspense and mystery, so that Willie's girlfriend Kelly wouldn't know exactly what was going on until it was too late, than for timidity at showing the actual attack on Willie.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 25, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
SG #62 came out in October 1992, shortly before Book 1, Issue 3 was finally released. As a result, SG #63, which came out in January 1993, has more about Book 1, Issue 4 than SG #62, which dealt more with Book 1, Issue 3 than Issue 4. But here's some of what can be shared from SG #62 about Book 1, Issue 3 & Issue 4:

The artwork referred to featuring Lara Parker's Lara Hoffman will be showing up before too long...

"The revelations behind the secrets of the music box will either thrill and delight people, or it'll be the cause of some very strange letters in my mailbox." I don't honestly recall what sort of comments were published in the letters column regarding what they did with the music box in Issue 4. But everyone will be able to decide for themselves long before we may get to any fan feedback...

(The really interesting thing about SG #62 is that it shares quite a bit of info about Book 2, Issue 1 - but it's way too early to get into any of that, especially because we haven't even decided if we're going to do a slideshow for Book 2 (though as I've said, in my opinion, it's a better story...).)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 26, 2018, 12:18:39 AM »
Today's slide show reminds of a horizontal game of Tetris.  [hall2_grin]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »
 [pointing-up]  [ghost_cheesy]

But speaking of today's quotes, I actually take exception with "A MAN WHO, UPON MY ARRIVAL, FIRST IMPRESSED ME AS CRUDE AND CRUEL, HAS IN RECENT WEEKS, BECOME A KIND AND CARING FRIEND" in reference to Willie. Perhaps Vicki thought that of him for a few minutes, but that instantly changed once she got a look at this dejected expression on Willie's face -

- after everyone at the Blue Whale had seemingly ganged up on Willie. She saw the real Willie beneath the bluster, and that Willie was not crude or cruel and right there and then she made the effort to befriend him by agreeing to ride with him to Collinwood. And by the time Willie came to her with the note from Barnabas to invite her to dinner, she was already making an all-out effort to befriend him and he reciprocated, and that was much earlier than "recent weeks" before the events taking place in the comic.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2018, 08:26:58 PM »
And because there are still a few things that need to be posted, here's Book 1, Issue 4's first page:

And now you can see why yesterday's capture in the slideshow was like it was...