Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45930 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #345 on: July 26, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
The artist on the Gold Key books was the late Joe Certa, who was the regular artist on DC comic's Martian Manhunter series. He was the co-creator of the Idol Head of Diabolu. Whatever that is. Certa was an extremely popular artist throughout the 1950's and early 1960's, until his coloring book style artwork fell out of favor. Which is probably how he ended up working for Gold Key.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2018, 03:02:05 PM »
And here's the ninth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And yet again this is one of the few times when every bit of dialogue on a page made it into the slideshow. (It won't be the case with the next page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
I'm surprised that neither I nor anyone else noticed there was a big boo boo in one of yesterday's quotes:

Book One/Issue Three/Page 10 - Carolyn: 'OH, SURE--
VICKI'LL BE THRILLED TO SEND THE LITTLE "DARLING" OUT
OF HER SIGHT FOR AWHILE.'

It wasn't until I was just formatting a few of Midnite's quotes for next month's slideshow that I noticed the quote contains the phrase "out of her sight for awhile" and therein lies the big boo boo: It's a hard and fast rule in English that the adverb "awhile" never follows a preposition, as in "for awhile." It should read "for a while," consisting of the article "a" and the noun "while." One of my English teachers in particular must be rolling over in her grave that the comic made that mistake because she was a real stickler for never making it. Though why doesn't it surprise me that the comic did?

And that concludes today's English Grammar lesson...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 05, 2018, 06:00:23 PM »
And here's the tenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And take note that with this page things are back to not using all the dialogue in the slideshow.

Also, it might have been fascinating to see what they had in mind with Liz' insistence that Vicki not go down into the cellar. You may recall that David Campiti commented that they planned to get more into Liz' background - but what would have been interesting to see was whether or not the bit about the cellar was leading to something similar to what was done on the original series or if they had something else entirely in mind. Unfortunately, in all likelihood we'll never know because nothing about the cellar is ever referenced again in the comic. Though if it was to be something entirely new, let's just hope it was nothing as outlandish as Barrettstown...

And also note that the last panel on the page is also featured without its dialogue in Issue 3's letters column on Page 28, posted in reply #294...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 10, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
And here's the eleventh page:

And take note of the one bit of Willie's dialogue from panel #4 that doesn't appear in the slideshow. Willie can't exactly tell Roger the real reason he's so panicked, now can he?  [ghost_nowink]

And like how we've learned that people getting attacked by a vampire may make the sound "URK", apparently after being thrown to the ground, people may make the sound "OOOOF!" Or at least we know for sure that in Willie's case, he does.  [ghost_wink]

Also, speaking of the dialogue on this page, I think they really nailed how both Willie and Roger would have spoken in the situation.

And also, similar to the panel on Page 10, note that panel #3 on this page is also featured without its dialogue in Issue 3's letters column on Page 28, posted in reply #294...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2018, 03:28:24 PM »
The transition in the slideshow from Roger after Willie has knocked him to the ground -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 12 - Roger: 'YOU'RE GOING
TO LIVE TO REGRET THIS'

- to Roger unlocking and being inside his studio -

Book One/Issue Three/Page 12 - Roger: 'SO TIRED...'

Book One/Issue Three/Page 12 - Roger: '...NO MORE--'

- may seem abrupt, but even though we've skipped two panels on the page, it's almost just as abrupt in the comic because, as we'll see once I post the full version of Page 12, the two skipped panels have no relationship to or give any indication that things will soon shift to Roger's studio.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
And here's the twelfth page:

I presume Roger is speaking to Willie in the two skipped panels. But then again, when he reaches his studio he certainly appears to be out of it, so who knows? And who knows it they were really setting up something that they never followed up on...

And like how we've learned that people getting attacked by a vampire may make the sound "URK", apparently after being thrown to the ground, people may make the sound "OOOOF!" Or at least we know for sure that in Willie's case, he does.  [ghost_wink]

And on this page apparently we learned that when someone gets punched in the face, they make the sound "UNNNGHH!"  [b003]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2018, 05:24:41 PM »
And on this page apparently we learned that when someone gets punched in the face, they make the sound "UNNNGHH!"  [b003]

Right out of Batman! Zowie!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 14, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
 [lghy]  Maybe they were reading too much Batman. Though I do suppose there has to be some sort of sound to make sure the reader fully understands a punch landed...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 15, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »
And here's the thirteenth page:

And now we know how Angelique's picture got to be in Sarah's diary...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »
SG #61 also shared a preliminary sketch for Page 13:

Note that some of the dialogue (what little there is) is not in the sketch...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2018, 04:54:01 PM »
I seem to recall Campiti saying in at least one of the ShadowGram interviews that they planned to start to work what the show had planned for Season 2 into the comic once they began Book 5, Issue 1. Though, of course, they never got anywhere near that far into the comic...

Actually, they planned to do it earlier. While I was looking for info about Lara Parker's presentation on the MPI VHS Vol. 195, I saw a comment in SG that Book 4 was going to pick up where the series left off with Vicki's return to the present. Book 4 was also to be Campiti's collaboration with Lara Parker for which they developed some of what eventually turned into Angelique's Descent. But to me, anyway, the most intriguing part of Book 4 was that it was going to explain more about Laura. But alas...

Interestingly, some of the artwork for Book 4 had already been completed before Innovation went under and SG shared some of it. Though it'll be quite a while before we ever reach that point in the SG issues...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2018, 06:04:07 PM »
And here's the fourteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

Another page where we used all the dialogue/journal entries. The only thing that was skipped was lighting the match...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
I know that Bill Mumy was able to eventually finish and publish his multi part Lost in Space story Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul which was less than halfway through when Innovation went kaput. I wonder if there's been any discussion about completing work on the DS stories. There seems to be a market for new DS material of any kind.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 24, 2018, 05:26:23 AM »
For some reason I can't access our FTP space to update the slideshow so it's looking like it won't get updated until such time as it lets me in...