Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45633 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »
And once again be sure to check out all three quotes in today's slideshow. This is the last time for Book 1, Issue 1 that there's an entry with three. Though several upcoming entries will have two...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2018, 07:36:30 PM »
Here's the twenty-second page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And you'll notice that there are a few bits of dialogue that weren't included in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2018, 08:38:00 PM »
And SG #59 also shared the artwork for Page 22 without the dialogue:

And the text tacked on to the bottom is the conclusion of the SG text posted back in reply #113. I've removed the part of the page that had nothing to do with the text.

I went hunting for what was supposedly going to appear in Soap Opera Digest, but if there was something, I couldn't find it. And I don't recall if I ever saw what was supposedly going to be in Fangoria. If it was published, I don't have it - and that may be because, if I did see it, it didn't feature anything that was much different from what was already in SG and SOW. And that may also be why SG didn't bother to share it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Here's the last page of the second article (thirtieth page):

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

The top right of the page is of course the sketched version of Book 1, Issue 1, Page 13 - the center sketch is for the second poster, the slightly different finished version of which we'll be seeing on an upcoming page in the comic - and the sketches in the bottom left corner of Liz, Julia, Roger and Carolyn are all based on actual stills of those characters (some of which appear in the PomPress book Dark Shadows Resurrected), and we'll be seeing finished versions of them once I share the back cover of Book 1, Issue 1.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2018, 07:26:38 PM »

Here's the next additional page in the comic, the ad/order form for the two Abbelare watches (thirty-first page):

If I'm not mistaken, both watches sold out...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
Even though one of them played the theme from Love Story!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
Oh really - I don't even remember that. Was it Barn's or Ang's? Though I supposed if one goes by the lyrics to the song, for either character's POV it would make sense: Barn for Josette and Ang for Barn

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2018, 08:46:23 PM »
I think it was for the Angelique watch. There was something printed somewhere that the watch company couldn't get the rights to use DS music.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
The irony of using Love Story for Ang is perfect! Though I suspect whoever picked it probably didn't think of that - they were probably just happy it was an easy song to get the rights to...

As for DS music, there are several pieces from the daytime show that could have worked, but none of them were used on the '91 series. There is a piece on the '91 soundtrack called Josette, Barnabas & Angelique, parts of which would have worked great for Josette and Barn, but I'm not so sure that the Ang part would have translated well to a watch.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2018, 09:19:33 PM »
I didn't buy the watches myself. I thought that they were kind of pricey (and I thoroughly dislike the theme from Love Story). My friend bought them and probably still has them. There was a cute gimmick that one of the hands swept by, Barnabas "transformed" into a vampire. I think the eyes changed color and fangs appeared. Not entirely sure, as it's probably been 20 years since she showed them to me.
Kind of interesting that they were the first ones to package the item in a coffin shaped box.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
Here's the twenty-third page:

All I have to say about what's covered on this page regarding Barnabas intentions for Daphne is, if how he treated Daphne (carelessly leaving her body at the fountain, never even bothering to see her after she'd risen, and allowing her to run rampant to stalk David and attack Joe to the point of her ultimately being staked) is the way he treats someone he wanted to be his companion so that she could share the ages of darkness because of his crushing loneliness, I would hate to see how he would treat someone he could care less about, much less despise.  ::)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
Here's the next additional page in the comic, the ad/order info for the two Innovation posters and info to subscribe to the comics (thirty-second page):

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

I remember that both of these did very well, but I don't recall if they sold out. But SG will probably mention it if they did...

And as I said back when I posted Page 30 in Reply #138 above, notice how the Angelique's Revenge poster is different from the initial sketch...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:02 PM »
Here's the inside back cover:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

This one doesn't exactly feature any info that we didn't already know about at the time. In fact, it's info we'd known about for years, especially when it comes to the Fest and SG. However, future inside back covers will actually feature info that was new and exciting at the time.

One thing that is interesting is that the cover is dated June 1992 even though subscribers actually received the issue in April and it was also in stores in April.  [snow_huh]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »
Aren't comic books routinely post-dated? It seems to be a thing within the business, and I think that's been the case for many decades.

Thank you again for all your work on this project. It was interesting to have such a detailed look at this comic book.

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 28, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
Aren't comic books routinely post-dated? It seems to be a thing within the business, and I think that's been the case for many decades.

Could be. I have no idea. I don't look at that many comic books. But if that's been the case, then that would explain it.

Thank you again for all your work on this project. It was interesting to have such a detailed look at this comic book.

There's plenty more to come with Book 1. We're not quite a quarter of the way through the whole story and we'll be starting Issue 2 on Friday...