Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 45637 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
No One thought to write a line about hating those meeses to pieces?

Though there might be more than a few fans who thought it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2018, 07:35:30 PM »
I know this is meaningless given that it's me, but I thought the cleaning lady was depicted with a very notable resemblance to an older Grayson, as she looked in the Seventies.

The dialogue yesterday and the way the characters were positioned made one wonder if the subtext was that Barnabas wanted to have a threeway with Julia and Vicki. *eyeroll*

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2018, 08:32:30 PM »
I know this is meaningless given that it's me, but I thought the cleaning lady was depicted with a very notable resemblance to an older Grayson, as she looked in the Seventies.

That's possible - and given the cleaning lady becomes Barnabas' victim, how ironic would it have been?

The dialogue yesterday and the way the characters were positioned made one wonder if the subtext was that Barnabas wanted to have a threeway with Julia and Vicki. *eyeroll*

You're not the only one who thought that...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2018, 01:47:14 AM »
It would seem odd to me, no matter how desperate Barnabas was to satiate his appetite, would kill that cleaning woman and leave such a mess.  It would've taken a long time to for him to clean up that mess and then dump the body.  And did he kill her before he drained her so she wouldn't "turn?" 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2018, 10:14:30 PM »
I'm surprised that no one has noticed or at least mentioned that in his portrait in the comic Barnabas is looking in the wrong direction:

It seems an odd mistake - but who knows, maybe it wasn't a "mistake" because maybe it was some sort of copyright thing. Perhaps the artist who did the portrait for the series wouldn't allow the portrait to be completely duplicated for the comic and so E. Silas Smith, who illustrated all the covers and the insides of Book One of the comic, made the slight adjustment of having Barn look in a different direction. Or maybe not. Who knows? And we probably won't ever know...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:51 PM »
Here's the thirteenth page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And note once again that this page contains dialogue and a panel that were not featured in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:08 PM »
Here's the fourteenth page -

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And take note that this page contains dialogue and panels that weren't featured in the slideshow...

Also, it might be hard to see in the scan, but Willie is holding a copy of Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
Of course, fans of the '91 DS know that Liz actually delivers today's quote "BARNABAS COLLINS FROM ENGLAND--? WELCOME TO COLLINWOOD" in the foyer -

- when she comes to meet Barnabas by herself and not in the drawing room with Roger and Carolyn.

And similarly when Barn replies "Thank you, dear cousin. I've been looking forward to this moment for so long" to Liz:

But changing the location is hardly the first "liberty" the comics take with the series - and it won't be the last...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2018, 07:55:55 AM »
Were they supposed to be actually depicting the series or just doing a version based on the series?
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2018, 05:19:25 PM »
From what I have seen thus far, like all the other comics and book series and the rest spun off the various versions of DS, it's an alternate timeline or "Parallel Time" to the universe of the 1991 DS. Just in a few pages both the writing and the artwork have made it clear that it's not showing us events of the actual 1991 DS verse. Not if you accept any definition of canon known to this writer, at least.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2018, 07:40:07 PM »
Given what we've seen of the comics so far, it's easy to see how someone might come away with the idea that they were doing something merely based on the '91 Series and/or an alternate version of it. But that's not the case. As co-creator of the comics, David Campiti put it: "A lot of elements in the new series were left unexplained or underdeveloped. Our first 4-parter takes place in the continuity of the 3rd hour of the mini-series, where Julia says 'It's been 10 weeks since we started Barnabas' cure.' A lot can happen in 10 weeks - and it did." Campiti also said that questions examined in the comics are: "How does vampirism work? Why did some people die from a vampire bite, while others didn't? How could Barnabas give Josette a music box in 1790, when they didn't exist yet? Exactly what are the family relationships? What is the secret of Victoria's past? All these unanswered questions, and many other, will be dealt with." They also explore how Barnabas, a product of the 18th century, deals with the 20th century - and how he hopes to convincingly fit in with no suspicion (and that's where we're presently at in Book1/Issue1). But what's probably most important is that Campiti also said the storylines and characters in the first 4 comics (Book1) "read as though we've written 4 excellent hours of the show and dropped them at that point right into the TV mini-series' continuity" with the word "continuity" being the most important word there. Though as we've plainly seen already, despite that claim, the continuity of the comics doesn't always jibe with the continuity of the mini-series. And this is also despite the fact that the comics were also presented as containing what were to be considered new elements of canon within the '91 Series...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »
It's probably worth pointing out that the scene in the drawing actually begins with Carolyn delivering today's quote: "I CAN'T GET OVER IT. YOU LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE MAN IN THE PORTRAIT!" -

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2018, 03:00:31 AM »
It's understandable when a continuation (or whatever one wants to call it) of something original wants to "clean up" the illogical premises of the original.  I'm all for that.  My biggest beef with the OS, '91 and even '04 (now that it's finally available free on-line) is how Barnabas is released from his grave after being "shacked up" for 200-or-so years and within a few days manages to blend into society, knowing everything about stuff like how a zipper and neck-tie work to what the latest trendy thing is.  The '12 movie version took that head-on and did it wonderfully. 

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2018, 03:50:11 AM »
It's understandable when a continuation (or whatever one wants to call it) of something original wants to "clean up" the illogical premises of the original.  I'm all for that.

That's one of the things the comics mostly get right. Apart for some timeline placement/continuity issues, overall, the flashbacks are well done.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Before Barnabas delivers today's quote: "THE COLLINS BLOOD DOES HAVE A RATHER PERSISTENT STRENGTH. I MUST ADMIT I, MYSELF, HAVE ALWAYS BEEN QUITE FASCINATED BY THE RESEMBLANCE..." -

- in response to Carolyn's observation, Liz actually says "It is amazing, isn't it?" and Carolyn chuckles - but given that neither Liz' remark nor Carolyn's chuckle is all that significant, it's easy to see why the comic dropped them. Well, that and was there really any room left in that panel for yet more dialogue bubbles?!  [wink2]

And even though it's far from a humorous moment in the scene, I've always found it humorous that Barnabas' lie actually amounts to how he finds fascinating what is really his resemblance to himself.  [laugh]