Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 46151 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #375 on: September 09, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
Picking up where we left off with Ep #8 of the '91 Series, Josette excitedly says -

Josette: 'ANGELIQUE!'

- as Natalie moves down the stairs toward the others - and we see Angelique comes down the stairs as she greets Josette with -

Angelique: 'AH, MADAMOISELLE!'

- as she does in the comic, and after they have kissed each other on both cheeks, just as in the comic, Josette tells Angelique -

Josette: 'I HAVE MISSED YOU!'

- and at that point Barnabas begins to come back up the stairs and Angelique gives him a wary look as we hear Joshua order -

Joshua's Voice: 'Loomis - see that their luggage is
brought up, and, um--'

- and Angelique looks down and takes on a subservient posture as Barnabas moves closer and in the background we see Joshua turn and continue with -

Joshua' Voice: '--Come, I'll show you to your rooms.'

- and it isn't until then that, as in comic, Angelique tells Josette -

Angelique: 'I WILL FETCH YOUR TRAVELING CASE.'

- to which Josette replies -

Josette: 'NONSENSE! I WILL FETCH IT MYSELF.'

- an attitude that harkens back to Ep #7 when Andre explains that Josette has a case of "rampant republicanism" (referring to the ongoing French Revolution) - but to that Barnabas corrects -

Barnabas: 'NO, I WILL NOT HEAR OF IT. ANGELIQUE WILL
FETCH YOUR BAG.'

- and Barnabas actually follows that with -

Barnabas: 'COME--I WILL SHOW YOU YOUR ROOMS.'

- and note that he actually says "SHOW YOU YOUR", not the comic's "SHOW YOU TO YOUR" - and also unlike in the comic, and which is obvious from the above capture, Barnabas says that before he and Josette move off - in fact, Angelique curtsies as they move off and her upset expression has less to do with that than it does with the fact that after Barnabas and Josette move off up the stairs, they stop on the middle landing to kiss before going up to the second floor - and when Angelique then turns to get Josette's luggage, she has to deal with Ben, who playfully keeps blocking her way, aggravating her - but after he finally lets her pass, he continues up the stairs with a big smile on his face as Angelique goes down and bends to pick up the luggage.

End of scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 10, 2018, 03:42:36 AM »
And here's the eighteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

Another page where we used all the dialogue and scanned some of the panels in multiple ways due to the dialogue in them. And I'll be getting into the differences between the comic's version of the sequence and the way it actually plays in the '91 Series as soon as I get the chance...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 10, 2018, 08:32:51 PM »
Now moving on to the differences between comic's second sequence from Barnabas' dream and the actual sequence as it played in Ep #8 of the '91 Series, the comic skips several bits at the beginning, starting with how after Barnabas opens the doors to her rooms, Josette walks in she describes the room as "beautiful" and "magnifique", and Barnabas explains about how after the wedding the rooms will be theirs - and then as Barnabas removes Josette's cloak, she notices something in the room and asks him how he was about to get her portrait, which we see hanging over the mantle, and Barnabas explains that he had the countess bring it because he wanted it there - and so it isn't until after all that that Barnabas strokes Josette's face and says -

Barnabas: 'YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL.'

- and she replies -

Josette: 'AS ARE YOU.'

- so note that is different from the comic, where she says "AS YOU ARE" - and after smiling at her, Barnabas goes to the mantle to retrieve something and he returns to hand it to Josette as he says -

Barnabas: 'THIS IS FOR YOU. I HAD IT SPECIALLY MADE IN
BOSTON. IT WAS INTENDED AS A WEDDING PRESENT.'

- as he does in the comic - and from there things also continue as in the comic with Josette asking -

Josette: 'THEN WHY ARE YOU GIVING IT TO ME NOW?'

- to which Barnabas replies -

Barnabas: 'OH, BECAUSE I COULD NOT WAIT.'

- but in the actual scene he also adds -

Barnabas: 'All my control is concentrated somewhere else.'

- and after smiling at the remark, Josette opens the gift and reacts to it with -

Josette: 'OH, BARNABAS! IT IS EXQUISITE!'

- rather than simply "IT IS EXQUISITE!", as in the comic, and after she opens it and the melody begins to play, unlike in the comic, she further reacts with an excited -

Josette: 'Ah!'

- and Barnabas happily replies -

Barnabas: 'I KNEW YOU'D RECOGNIZE IT.'

- using the contraction "YOU'D" rather than the comic's "YOU WOULD" - and the sequence will continue from there next time...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 11, 2018, 08:10:08 PM »
Picking up where we left off with the second sequence from Ep #8 of the '91 Series, Josette replies -

Josette: 'IT IS WHAT THEY WERE PLAYING WHEN YOU
FIRST ASKED ME TO DANCE.'

- and after Barnabas nods yes, Josette turns to him and asks -

Josette: 'BUT HOW DID YOU EVER GET IT IN A MUSIC BOX?'

- and note that she says "GET IT IN A MUSIC BOX" rather then the comic's "GET IT INTO A BOX" - and to that Barnabas replies -

Barnabas: 'I CAPTURED IT!'

- but completely without the pause in the comic or the comic's hand gesture because what he actually does as he says it is lean in, in an attempt to kiss Josette, however, at the sound of someone approaching, Josette begins to turn around as Angelique enters, and realizing what she has walked in on, just as in the comic, Angelique gasps -

Angelique: 'OOH!'

- and as Josette looks at her like a mischevious girl who's been caught but Barnabas looks at her in anger, Angelique excuses herself with -

Angelique: 'PARDONNEZ-MOI!'

- and note how the comic not only forgot the second "N" in "PARDONNEZ", they forgot to add the hyphen - and after that Josette moves off in Angelique's direction - and we'll pause there because that brings us up to the last panel on Page 18...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 12, 2018, 02:44:49 AM »
And here's the nineteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version (without any of the artifacts that the forum's system created when downsizing the image))

And yet another page where we used all the dialogue and the journal entries as well as all the panels. And I'll be getting into the differences between the conclusion of the comic's version of the sequence depicted in Barnabas' dream and the way it actually plays in the '91 Series as soon as I get the chance...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 13, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
Picking up where we left off with the second sequence from Ep #8 of the '91 Series, immediately after Josette moves off screen, Barnabas angrily reprimands Angelique with -

Barnabas: 'JUST PUT THE CASE DOWN.'

- as he does in the comic, but unlike the comic, and as has already been explained, and as is obvious in the capture above, Josette is no longer standing next to him - and also as in the comic, Barnabas then adds -

Barnabas: 'IF MADEMOISELLE WANTS YOU, SHE SHALL
CALL YOU.'

- and I let it pass in a previous example in the previous sequence, but note that the comic misspells "MADEMOISELLE" as "MADAMOISELLE", apparently they didn't have a consultant on how to correctly spell or write French -  and to that, As in the comic, Angelique replies -

Angelique: 'CERTAINLY, SIR.'

- but unlike what the comic would seem to imply, she does so completely without a tone or an expression of anger (and unfortunately for those who only have the '91 Series on DVD, Angelique's cleavage is almost nearly cut from the frame as she bends to put the case down - clearly E. Silas Smith drew from the original aspect ratio of the NBC version  [b003]) - and while the comic concludes the scene there, on the show the scene continues as Barnabas, in anger, throws to the floor something he's holding in his hand (on the DVD, anyway, we can't see what it is). Then Angelique stands back up and Josette stands holding the door as Angelique turns and leaves the room, whereupon Josette closes the door and tells Barnabas there was no need for him to speak to Angelique that way, so as Barnabas comes over to her, he apologizes and explains that he just wants to be alone with her. And after they nearly kiss, Josette tells him that is also what she wants, so Barnabas proposes that they meet outside. And after Josette asks where, Barnabas suggests the gardens, to which she agrees and then Barnabas says he'll be waiting and she nods. Then Barnabas reluctantly pulls away from her and leaves the room, after which Josette closes the door, and smiling happily, she leans up against it. And from there we see Barnabas walk down the corridor outside Josette rooms. And once he's completely passed, Angelique comes out of a nearby room, displaying the expression of shear anger on her face that the comic hinted earlier, and she makes her way toward Josette's room...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:08 PM »
And here's the twentieth page:

And this is also a page where we used all the dialogue and the journal entries as well as all the panels. It's also the last multiple panel page in Book 3 where that's the case...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2018, 12:22:18 AM »
SG #61 also shared a preliminary sketch for Panel 3 on Page 20:

And once again the placement of the dialogue is entirely different from where it ended up being in the final version. Also note that the preliminary sketch gets the number of teeth between Barnabas' fangs correctly at 4 and not 5, as in the final version.  [ghost_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2018, 05:10:02 AM »
This must be such an exciting day for many of you, meaning those of you who have missed the Barrettstown creatures and have been eagerly anticipating their September return. Well, there one is -

- and isn't it thrilling?!  [ghost_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 17, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
How do their eyes glow in the dark?  [ghost_wink] [ghost_wink]  [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »
Excellent question - but we never get an answer...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 20, 2018, 01:22:26 AM »
And here's the twenty-first page:

And things are back to the usual practice of some bits of dialogue and panels not being included in the slideshow...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 22, 2018, 03:00:15 AM »
And here's the twenty-second page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And note that a panel and some bits of dialogue were not included in the slideshow...

Also note that thanks to this page we've learned yet more sounds made by vampires, made while encountering vampires and/or made while dealing with the aftermath of acts committed by vampires. These comics continue to be so informative in those ways.  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2018, 01:08:17 AM »
Farewell, Nathaniel, we hardly got to know you.

But then, did we even want to get to know you?

And isn't it interesting that in death his eye went from glowing to white...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »
And because so much is going to be posted in this topic in the coming days as we switch from Issue 3 to Issue 4, here's the twenty-third page:

And note that some bits of dialogue and a couple panels were not included in the slideshow...

Also, it's interesting that the moon is partially shining through the clouds while it's snowing. I suppose that could happen - but I can't say I've ever seen it. But then, this is the vicinity of Collinsport, so chances are anything can happen...

And will Barnabas' suspicion regarding Julia's Uncle prove true in the next and final storyline page of Issue 3? I could simply say that all will be revealed in less than 12 hours. But, well, if you think about the fact that those lines weren't quoted in the slideshow, it might give you an indication.  [ghost_wink]