Author Topic: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?  (Read 46033 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Boardindex Page Montage/aka 'Book 1'?
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2018, 10:05:08 PM »
Just a random thought here: I wonder if Donald might have eventually taken over the place in the story originally filled by Paul Stoddard.

Possibly. Back in 2015 I speculated:

Maybe he might have been a combination Jason McGuire and Marquis de Sade and with those mommy issues thrown in for good measure a la Norman Bates!!  [naughty]  [lghy]

And as I also sadly said back in 2015, the background the pilot script provided for Julia is really quite fascinating - but it was also background that:

DC didn't feel needed to even be shot, much less included in the pilot. But then, as we're all too aware (especially when it comes to hoDS), DC will always jettison the character scenes in favor of the blood/gore/ripping/tearing because, well, he's that sort of director.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2018, 11:14:14 AM »
Should we take the book that Carolyn is reading, The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty, as an inside joke, as the author is a pseudonym for Anne Rice?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 11, 2018, 09:08:24 PM »
Yes, they intended it to be an inside joke - and apparently they thought it was a twofold inside joke: 1) for the reason you point out, and 2) because Innovation did comics for Rice's Vampire Lestat series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01:58 PM »
When it comes to today's quotes -

Book One/Issue One/Page 16 - Liz: 'I'M GROWING
CONCERNED WITH ALL THE ATTENTION BARNABAS IS
PAYING TO VICTORIA.'

Book One/Issue One/Page 16 - Roger: 'THAT'S ONLY
NATURAL.' Roger: 'WHAT MOTHER WOULDN'T BE
CONCERNED ABOUT HER DAUGHTER?'

- once again we have to ask just when did Roger get clued in that Vicki is Liz' daughter when he clearly possessed no such knowledge in the pilot. Obviously the comics have not explained it and I don't honestly recall if anyone questions it in any of the published letters in the feedback column. But if the question does get published, it's going to be fascinating to see how they explain it away... But then, as I said the other day, the explanation may just be that it took place at some point during the few weeks between the pilot and the events of Book 1 when we weren't seeing Roger and Liz. And if that turns out to be the case, to say it would be an inadequate explanation would be an understatement.  [ghost_rolleyes]  Though what might be even more fascinating would be if no published letter ever brings it up because, given some of the questions that have already been asked, I can't see how absolutely no one would have asked about something as important and as glaring as to how Roger's sudden knowledge came about...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2018, 12:13:25 AM »
And again--if I cared to do so, I'd use that scene to argue that the comic books take place in their own alternate world (or Parallel Time) version of 1991 Collinwood--no defined connection to the Collinwood of 1991 canon. Occasional overlaps, but equally startling differences. Because, how did the line go--"the people of this time have made different choices." (I must be slipping because that's a very bad paraphrase.)

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2018, 05:14:31 PM »
I have to say, I'm quite glad that there was nothing about Julia's failed marriage in the series as aired. It would totally change the viewer's understanding of her character and her relationship with Barnabas. As with Grayson Hall's Julia, what we see is someone who appears to be a lonely middle-aged unmarried woman who in love with a man and misreads his communications with her. Barbara Steele's scenes with Joanna Going seem rather poignant, as I recall.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:51 PM »
If the book had come out a year earlier or came out on a more timely basis, these little tangents would have been a lot easier to digest. They add little to the overall story, nor do they really add much to the "what happened during the gap in the miniseries" , a plot thread that seems far more important to the writers than it did to the readers
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »
And again--if I cared to do so, I'd use that scene to argue that the comic books take place in their own alternate world (or Parallel Time) version of 1991 Collinwood--no defined connection to the Collinwood of 1991 canon.

All the liberties that Campiti and Co. take with the actual '91 Series would be a lot easier to accept if Campiti hadn't continually made promises like how everything about Book 1 of the comics can be dropped right into the continuity of the third hour of the series and fit in perfectly with the continuity of the series, or how the comics would remain faithful to the series. Clearly such promises are not the case and who knows how he thought he could make such statements? Though part of it could be that he took confidence in the fact that DCP signed off on everything Campiti did. When it comes to DC, I can see how he might have done it because by his own admission he had a mind like a sieve when it came to the plots of any version of the series - but given that Jim Pierson also signed off on them is much harder to accept given that Pierson actually worked behind the scenes on the '91 Series and he's listed as an editor for the comics. Though given what slips by in the PomPress books, of which he's a co-editor, maybe it shouldn't be hard to accept...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2018, 07:22:36 PM »
I wonder if DC ever saw any of the comic book stuff, other than perhaps the contracts. He likely entrusted the minute details to his lacky Pierson, who apparently would sign off on anything.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2018, 07:44:24 PM »
I have to say, I'm quite glad that there was nothing about Julia's failed marriage in the series as aired. It would totally change the viewer's understanding of her character and her relationship with Barnabas. As with Grayson Hall's Julia, what we see is someone who appears to be a lonely middle-aged unmarried woman who in love with a man and misreads his communications with her. Barbara Steele's scenes with Joanna Going seem rather poignant, as I recall.

Though if the failed marriage had been included and explored, I can see a possibility where we may have learned something like it might have been Julia's romantic naivete with men that lead to the marriage and subsequently to the divorce, in which case that could have factored in perfectly with her relationship with Barn, who could have been perceived as Donald 2.0 and a pattern with Julia. But, of course, we'll never know...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2018, 07:56:29 PM »
If the book had come out a year earlier or came out on a more timely basis, these little tangents would have been a lot easier to digest. They add little to the overall story, nor do they really add much to the "what happened during the gap in the miniseries" , a plot thread that seems far more important to the writers than it did to the readers

Given things that Campiti intimated, I suspect that such tidbits as Liz being Vicki's mother and another thing concerning Liz that's upcoming were dropped into Book 1 to lay the foundations for things they'd planned to fully explore once they reached Book 5, Issue 1 (issue 17) and beyond. You're certainly correct, though, that with the exception of the Barnabas/Willie flashbacks (and the creation of the music box, which has only been touched on very briefly so far, but will be coming back to the forefront soon) the new stuff does little to explore and/or expand the story the '91 Series had already laid out.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »
Here's the fourteenth page:

(Click here for a 1328X1996 version)

And notice that it features both dialogue and a panel that the slideshow skipped over. And once again seemingly the minute Carolyn leaves the room the subject of Liz' real relationship to Vicki comes up, just like it did on Page 17 of Issue 1...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56:11 PM »
I forgot to mention yesterday with regard to this part of yesterday's quote from Vicki -

"CAROLYN AND I ARE GETTING TO BE SUCH GOOD FRIENDS."

- I only wish that had been the case on the actual 91 Series. For the most part, Vicki and Carolyn were really good friends on the original series, but on the '91 Series the last time they ever shared a scene with each other was in the second hour of the pilot when Carolyn drove Vicki to and dropped her off at the stables!!  [ghost_rolleyes]  Maybe other scenes were written/shot with them - but obviously they never survived to the final cut of any of the other eps so as far as what we saw is concerned, their relationship was pretty much nonexistent.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 14, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
Unless she was referring to the horse that was also named Carolyn.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 14, 2018, 09:01:46 PM »
 [pointing-up]  [stfl] Good one!!  [thumb]