Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 75868 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:34 PM »
The old VHS/LD transfer was nearly open matte.  It's a 1.33 extraction from the frame, but it's not quite edge to edge.  As a result, it doesn't show quite as much on the left and right as is possible, but does show more top and bottom than is meant to be seen.  In an overhead shot of Angelique hanging, you can see at the very bottom of the frame the edge of the cherry picker that the camera is on, and in the piano scene at the beginning, you can briefly spot the floor mic poking into frame on the left. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2012, 07:43:32 PM »
That's interesting, Darren, about the couple of things appearing in the VHS transfer of NODS. I never caught those! What I very distinctly remember seeing in the CBS Late Movie presentation of HODS in the 1970s was a boom mike appearing a few times. I didn't see those in the VHS release, which obviously tells me that they definitely cropped the picture all the way around on that one.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:25 PM »
Editing the mic out of Dark Shadows?  Blasphemy!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:51 PM »
If they were doing it to the original series, it certainly would be blasphemy to edit out the mic! But since it and the other things were never supposed to be seen because the film was never meant to be seen in 4X3, at least it's a different situation with NoDS (and hoDS).  [santa_smiley]

I have to say, though, that even though I had noticed while watching the VHS version on my computer (while getting screen caps) that occasionally the edge of something that looked like it might be metal of some sort sneaked into frame at the very bottom of some of the overheard shots during the hanging scene -

- I never would have guessed it was the edge of the cherry picker - and quite honestly more often than not I don't even pay attention to that sort of stuff because I'm too caught up in the story and paying attention to the characters.  [santa_wink]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 22, 2012, 02:33:10 AM »
What I very distinctly remember seeing in the CBS Late Movie presentation of HODS in the 1970s was a boom mike appearing a few times. I didn't see those in the VHS release, which obviously tells me that they definitely cropped the picture all the way around on that one.

The scene I remember most distinctly from older broadcasts (and bootlegs sold at conventions) with boom mics sticking right into the shot was where the Sheriff is handing out bullets in front of the porte cochere.  It would have been 1989, so 23 years ago, and way before I knew about things like open matte transfers/etc.

In the old days they would send 16mm prints around the country and show those on a film chain, and that's what was actually broadcast.  The 16mm prints were usually a simple reduction print from 35mm, so the framing was identical, so in the 70s and 80s you were constantly watching open matte transfers of 1.85 films with "mistakes" that really weren't...  I remember in a shower scene from OH GOD!, you could see that John Denver was wearing underwear (thank heavens!). [8_2_81]

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 10, 2013, 09:15:15 AM »
On the plus side for both HODS and NODS, each includes German, Italian, and Castilian Spanish audio, but not the Latin American Espanol noted on the package.  The German and Castilian narrate the scrolling text at the end, but not the Italian which has forced subs, which will be a revelation to Italian speakers who never were privy to what the end text said before.

I have Latino Espanol on mine.  scroll over to the arrow and scroll again.  I'm looking at it now (the option).  But do you mean regular DVD or Blu-Ray -- I have Blu-Ray

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 10, 2013, 09:19:49 AM »
doi....I was looking at the subtitles option.   

Neverrrrrmiiiinnnddd.......

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
One of the things I really love about NoDS that doesn't always get mentioned is the way the lighting often plays with shadow and even uses shadow integrally to the plot - and this shot here (which was added today to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board) of Quarles about to attempt to drown Tracy is a perfect example:

[thumb]

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Just watched my blue rays on my new wide screen TV.

While watching both of them, I just really felt cheated because of the editing of scenes in both of them especially Night.   [snowball]

I'm wondering how the restoration efforts are going for Night, if they are going at all...haven't kept up with this and my recent viewing got me interested again.

I also thought that if anyone had the script, maybe Ms. Parker would endeavor to write a novel of that story to give us the full impact and clear up a few questions.....  hint...hint.... [snow_bigglass]

OR...maybe a serious (NOT CAMP) remake of the whole story....

Such a great ghost story ruined by the editor's scissors (not blaming Curtis though)....

Thoughts, yays, nays?

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
I can't access the site now because my bosses have blocked it. I wrote a noveliziation (actually it's novella length) of the original script that's gotten some good feedback. You can find it at www.fanfiction.net , just do a search for Night of Dark Shadows. I added very little to what was written. There were a couple of scenes that I felt needed a bit of filling in. For example, there's a reference to bodies being buried. I felt that  needed to be fleshed out. Anyway, if you want to check it out its on the www.fanfiction.net site.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 09, 2015, 04:00:35 PM »
I wrote a noveliziation (actually it's novella length) of the original script that's gotten some good feedback.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10083233/1/Night-of-Dark-Shadows

It's nicely done!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 09, 2015, 09:24:07 PM »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10083233/1/Night-of-Dark-Shadows

It's nicely done!
Thank you!  That project was started in the 80s and scrapped when I learned how much was cut from the movie. My rough draft was made using an audio tape and VHS copy of a broadcast on TBS.  When I learned that the restored version was not likely to see the light of day anytime soon, I decided to resurrect the project. I've received some nice feedback on it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 27, 2016, 01:06:13 PM »
Interesting review (done as a kind of memory piece) of hoDS:

http://webelongdead.co.uk/the-house-of-dark-shadows/

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 26, 2017, 04:25:19 AM »
Listing for the hoDS DVD at the Santa Clara County Library Disctrict Web site.

Roger Davis listed first - seriously?
No listing of Grayson Hall - SERIOUSLY?!

And I'm suspecting that jimg2000 is not a member of any of the Facebook groups that despise the Depp/DS film...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 26, 2017, 03:54:19 PM »
Oh, the depravity.

G.