Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 75871 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »
the only thing i could think of is a big screen version of the 1795 storyline.  Which acutally would have been a great companion piece to HODS.

I've also assumed the Barnabas sequel would have been a flashback to when he became a vampire - though, of course, we know how dangerous it is to assume.  [snow_wink]

Also, I've often wondered if the Barnabas backstory was somewhat different for the film than it was for the daytime show. When Barnabas explains a bit of it to Willie, he says, "but when they put this curse upon me..." That could have simply been Frid putting the dialogue into his own words because, as scripted, it should have been, "but when this curse was put upon me..." But at times dialogue in both films was actually changed just prior to shooting. And if that was the case there, it is interesting to wonder who the "they" were.

I would loved to have seen the 1897 storyline as a movie.  shame it was never done and it wasn't done for the revival series.

The '91 Series had planned it for its second season. To get into that here would be way OT, but there are probably at least a couple topics on the forum that get into what the plans were had the show continued...

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2011, 11:44:35 PM »
I don't want to be guilty of taking us too far afield OT, but Adrian Paul said that Curtis had mentioned he wanted him to be Quentin. Joanna Going confirmed this in the interview I conducted with her for the '91 Concordance.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
Posted Monday on Warner Archive's Facebook page:

Question ...are you gonna release the Dark Shadows films on DVD?

Warner Archive Collection Both Dark Shadows movies were being readied for release as far back as 2006....but we've been holding back the releases in order to coincide with the new DARK SHADOWS movie, which was in development for YEARS! The wait will have been worth it, as this will now allow Barnabas to be Blu.... :) :)

Q ...Can you guys go into any more details about these releases?

Warner Archive Collection Nothing more to report for the moment!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
Fantastic news that the movies will be out on Blu-ray!  [hello]  Though it's sort of deceptive for them to say that they've been being readied for release since '06. Sure, the surviving NoDS actors recorded their missing dialogue, and the piano scene was shown with dialogue at a Fest. But from what Darren has posted here and elsewhere, it wouldn't seem that anything has been done with the color timing of the recovered NoDS print. Also, there's still the matter of finding someone to loop Carlotta's missing dialogue. And, as I'd mentioned the other day in the Depp/DS topic, as of a couple weeks ago Darren had yet to hear anything from WB about when he can move forward beyond the few things that have been done to get the movies ready to be transferred to DVD (and now also Blu-ray)...

But still, it is great to see WB talking about the movies again.

And, of course, thanks for sharing the Facebook posting, Midnite.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2011, 01:37:41 AM »
To be fair, they did say that the films were "being prepared in 2006" not that they were completely finished in 2006...

I have yet to hear a word from the WB yet.  Since we're more than a year out probably from release, that's not an issue, but completing the NODS work will take several months, and the more time we have, the better it will be.

Carlotta needs to be done, and more Kate Jackson looping is needed.  Plus all take editing, sync, foley, music spotting, sound mixing, transfer or scanning of the long version elements, dirt removal, etc.  Much to do.

The piano scene was just a demo to have something to show at the fest.  I'd tackle that from scratch going forward...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
Well, now that we know the release date for the Depp/DS film, it gives this project less than a year to be completed if the release of the films on DVD is going to coincide with the release of the Depp/DS film in theaters. Hopefully that's enough time. Fingers crossed...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
If a street date of May 2012 was being targeted, then all of the finished video and audio materials (the deliverables, as it were) would need to be completed by February.  We need 4 months at the minimum to turn this around, so the ball better start rolling by October.  Nothing has progressed in a while we're still waiting for the go-ahead...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »
Thanks so much for the update.  [ghost_smiley]  And those execs at Warner Bros. had better get their acts together...  [ghost_huh]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2011, 02:02:14 AM »
Agh, I've been curious about this, and sorry to hear there hasn't been any progress on this yet.  I'm hoping that now that the film production is in full swing that this will now get moving, too.  I wish you all the best, Darren!

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
The best news of the entire Hermes panel at Comic Con 2011:

That the restoration of NoDS will indeed move forward.  [cheer] [banana] [clap2] [blob6] [headbang] [blob3] [clap] [banana2] [cheerleader]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
Excellent!  I would love to see the formal announcement from WB, if available.  The last news about this was a casual statement in a chat that "Barnabas will now be blu" which I think was just some tired suit having fun at the expense of fans...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2011, 06:03:36 PM »
I'm thinking it was something Pierson said on the panel. But I'm sure more news will come out about it before too long.

According to what I've read about what was said, as expected, the release of the DVDs/Blu-rays will coincide with the release of the Depp/DS film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2011, 09:57:49 PM »
A tweet from someone we may know.  [ghost_wink]

darrenlgross
NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS restoration will be underway shortly for DVD and Blu-Ray release to coincide with the Depp DS film. Huzzah!
1 hour ago

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2011, 02:07:08 AM »
Still hoping to see an official announcement, in print, from the WB DVD office, giving release dates for the DS feature film discs.  I really don't want to be told that the original films are going to have to wait for some sort of mega-box release with the 2012 Depp thing.

Warners most likely will not make any announcement about the Blu-ray and DVDs until about 3-4 months before street date.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2011, 05:58:08 PM »
Darren - Getting news from you is offical enough for me. We all know how this is a labor of love for you. You care more about this being done right than anyone at WB. Thank you for all your work on it.
May you die before you want too.