Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76243 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2012, 09:00:28 AM »
Thanks Gothick.

Roger Davis's voice is more smooth, soft honey... there's a little bit of sharpness to the NODS narrator's voice.

The editor couldn't remember the HODS narrator's name, but said he was British, and doing a sort of neutral accent, but you can pick up the slight accent.  The nominated trailer was the long theatrical trailer, the 2-2.5min one...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2012, 12:48:02 AM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]  But I don't know. Where do they get the notion that Frid is in the film?  [ghost_rolleyes]  And to my knowledge, much of the voiceover work needed to complete the missing sound was done years ago. But who knows...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
I have no idea where they got that notion. This is the first I ever heard of this website. I just happened on this article on a Google search.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2012, 03:39:19 AM »
I'm having a hard time believing what I'm reading on that site. Frid in NODS? And as "Barnabus"? And while I wouldn't sayit would never be done, the idea of using Skype to do dialogue looping seems rather unlikely for a project like this; maybe for a commentary track, though. (And I wouldn't call the acting style in NODS "over the top"...)

Color me skeptical.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2012, 04:03:15 AM »
Okay, after doing a little bit of Googling for "Skype sound post production", I think I now understand that they're probably using Skype for the communication between the personnel, not as a medium for transmitting sound that's being recorded. Duh... But that bit about Frid is still puzzling. Unless they just threw that in as a hook for people unfamiliar with NODS and only know the vampire aspect of DS?

[Edited to change "Friday" to "Frid"--damn autocorrect on my tablet!!]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2012, 04:08:43 AM »
I don't know. To me it certainly looks as if they're saying NoDS stars David Selby, Kate Jackson and Jonathan Frid. And if that is the case, it calls into question the entire existence of that Web page.  [ghost_wacko]

But I'm sure that once Darren sees these latest posts, he'll clear up any confusion...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »
The confusion of anyone reading that post is certainly understandable!

I was unaware until this moment that Action Audio had a blog... since it shows a post date of yesterday, that explains it...

Action Audio has been the primary Los Angeles (actually Burbank) recording location for the Big Finish audio dramas, as well as Private Island Trax.  We've been doing a lot of work lately with them for Big Finish where we've had to record an actor in Burbank, who's acting opposite another actor in Arizona or North Carolina, or NY, or London.  There was a three-way one between LA (Amber Benson), North Carolina (Terry Crawford), and London (James Unsworth) recently, that was a bit of a technical challenge, but not one that I directed.  Audio is recorded at each professional studio, but the engineer and booth are connected to LA & London, etc. via Skype so that the director can hear the actor and communicate with the actor and the engineer. 

We have a lovely relationship with the folks at Action Audio, and my trusty engineer there, James Barth, worked previously at Private Island, and over the years he's been the engineer on most of the looping sessions we've done for NODS, so he knows all about our efforts.  We haven't done another looping session in over a year, though, and Kate Jackson was recorded years ago in Los Angeles, not North Carolina...

Action is also where I directed Karlen's part of Night Whispers, with Jim Pierson directing the Barbara Steele part there later, with Frid recorded by a different studio entirely in Canada.

Clearly, my beloved engineer has had DS project overload, and with all the sessions swirling about in his head, created the dada-ist blog post that is referenced above... Or perhaps he had a little too much Claret Cup yesterday afternoon!

I shall endeavor to clarify this for the fine fellow.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
Thanks for clearing everything up, Darren. But I knew you would.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
Is "foley" shorthand for some form of post-sync type sound production?

Thanks for the clarification, Darren!  Love your theory about the Claret Cup.

Life staggers onwards, and as the late Kurt Vonnegut used to say... "so it goes."

Steve

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »
Thanks Darren for the must needed clarification. Greatly appreciated.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Is "foley" shorthand for some form of post-sync type sound production?

Foley is the recording of footsteps, clothes rustling, etc. and other live sound effects and it's done with a foley artist watching specific scenes over and over, then doing footsteps on a similar surface (tile, wood, grass, gravel, etc.) and matching it to what is happening on-screen.  Basically any human-caused sound effect that can be recorded live in the studio, unlike a car crash or explosion.

They have a foley studio & artist they hire out, and they were used for the very rough demo scene we showed a few years back.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for taking the time out to enlighten us!

I associate European horror and genre films of the Sixties, especially the Italian ones, with really fake foley effects.  Even as a kid I noticed how the footsteps sounded so artificial in Italian movies that would air on TV.

But somehow it was all part of the charm...

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2012, 02:34:14 AM »
I should have taken a week to reply... the responses would have been soooo interesting to read...  I tend to kill threads dead when I post, with all my cold facts!

Ah, interesting you mention the Italian foley effects... Usually that would be either really bad foley the Italians did themselves... or the US company that bought the film would dub the movie and want to replace the music score, and since the Italian company only provided an audio element that had the music and sound effects combined (an MFX track, it's called, or MuseFX), they would have to toss out everything and do a quickie sound effects & foley recording for the film.  Just slapped together on the cheap...

Almost all films have foley, though, from Apocalypse Now to Dark Shadows, from NODS to Star Wars... it's an art...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2012, 07:22:05 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of such awful news, but WB has officially announced a date for the hoDS and NoDS DVD/BD film releases.

The UNRESTORED prints.

The "extras" consist of one theatrical trailer per film.

Words fail me.  To Darren, I am so very sorry... what a devastating blow for you. We all know you gave 500 percent and we'll always honor your efforts on behalf of the films we love.

G.