Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76212 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
I wonder whether Daryl Schaefer was ever contacted about possibly looping Grayson's missing dialogue.

He was.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
Mr. Pierson also said that they still need to find an actress to cover Grayson Hall's lines for the deleted scene(s?) that would be restored. This scene or scenes would possibly be included as an extra on the DVD since inserting the scene would disrupt the sequence as it was rearranged by DC after cuts were made.

Yes, he said that inserting the cut scenes could at times prove difficult, but that he would push for having both versions (footage restored within the movie as well as kept separate) in a future NoDS release.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
i was reading posts that people made on "IMDB" i sometimes read them just for fun. sometimes for a good laugh as we all do here. anyways, someone on one the movie boards of the films, i forget which one, they may have posted it on both of them. anyways, they were talking about the deleted scenes & such.  & if they did in fact exist.

anyways, they posted an interview that Darren Gross here did a few months. no they didn't say the source. i read it & it sounded real. from what i remember he said that the reason he closed the site down was i think folks at WB who own the film. i believe the article said. i guess felt put on the spot or something. bear in mind i forget what the article on this actually said so i'm just going from memory here.  so please don't hold that against me. anyways,

than the article went on & said that there is footage for the 2nd "DS" film but that there is no deleted scenes that exist anymore. & that "Dan Curtis" destroyed them all a few years later after he made the film. & he told "Darren Gross" himself this. now i'm not sure if that is indeed true. but i used to read that website of his so him closing it down for the reason that was stated sounded true. to me anyways. & made sense. but if memory serves me right the article could be wrong.

cause to my knowledge he did find footage. my question here after all this typing is, is the article indeed true? if you guys & gals want to read the article that i mention here. that someone posted it's on the movie boards for the "DS" films i'm not sure about the boards for the tv show. the only part i remember fully in that article is the part about the deleted scenes.

the rest i could be wrong about it. cause i read it a few days ago. so bear with me if i'm wrong. he he.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »
I would certainaly buy both movies on DVD, but I'm actually rather lukewarm about a generic movie only packaging bereft of special features or restoration. If I want to see those films now, I can choose between my SP DVD copy of a laser disk or my SP copy from Dish Network of the uncut TCM airings. Both of these may not live up to the standards of commercial DVD, but the quality is fantastic and they look superb on my flat screen TV. I saw a sample of the download that's currently being offered, and after a cursory view, it seemed fine as an alternative in the meantime, until the DVDs are out.  I'd rest easily if I knew FOR SURE that NODS would be restored and released in five years or when the Depp movie came out, whichever came first. As for HODS, I'd hope they'd do some sort of commentary with some of the actors and/or production people. A rush job to get the movies, a la carte onto DVD is not something I'm dying for.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
Howdy-  I don't recall doing an interview on the IMDB.  I did post comments and corrections on some of those threads several times...

To clarify, I was saying that there are no deleted scenes or longer versions of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS-- DC destroyed that years ago.

Of course, we have the full 129min version of NIGHT OF DS, picture-wise, and the audio mostly finished re-recording waiting for full audio editing etc.  once we get the WB go-ahead...

I really don't know what Jim was talking about when he said they'd be presented as deleted scenes instead of integrated into the movie.  That would be a pretty ghastly development.  Plus it would cost just as much to edit the audio and dialogue for deleted scenes as it would to integrate them into the film itself...He was probably just not wanting to make big promises, because after all, it ain't done til it's done, ya know what I mean...?

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 08:58:46 AM »
Daryl Schaefer was indeed contacted-- I have an audition tape he sent me, and ones from other Grayson impersonators, several years ago.

He's a lovely fellow.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 12:18:35 PM »
You misunderstood me. 1stly i personally thought you had found some of the deleted scenes for both films. i thought i had read that somewhere. maybe your old site. but than bear in mind it's been awhile. so i can't really remember. i do recall you looking for QUITE A LONG TIME!  anyways, i didn't say you did an interview for 'IMDB" someone posted one you did

when another fan was asking about it. i was just curious if the interview was real cause as everyone here knows, it's not always easy to get things right when it comes to the internet. you could be misquoted in any interview online or off. i do find it awefully sad & dissapointing that you were unable to find any scenes for "HODS" i honestly thought you had. 

i was dying to see at some least of the footage inserted back in. cause the film itself doesn't seem like Dan Curtis did a very good job at cutting it. he cut too much out of it. i believe i read somewhere that even Denise Nickerson was in the "HODS" but her scenes got cut. it would have been nice to see those scenes. i have "HODS" on VHS actually. i've been unable to find in any stores "NODS" that's another film that too much got cut & isn't very good. i can't wait until thee footage is back in so the film can be watchable! at least to me. & by the way. if i confused you. my apologies man.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
i forgot to mention & again i'm sorry i didn't realize it until after i posted it. that about the interview it was an interview you had done somewhere. they didn't give a link. so it may have been to some site, NOT IMDB.  in short i dunno where they got the link from the interview you gave. but someone found it online & cut & pasted it on the IMDB boards. to correct a fan who was asking about the films. that's what i meant  to say. but i didn't do so very well.

please know that i haven't gotten much sleep so bear with me. as my attention span at the moment isn't all there. he he. i just wanted to add that. & thank you for your reply. i was just curious if the interview that you did was real. & i guess it was.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
Dear B. Collins,

Denise Nickerson wasn't in either of the DS films.  A publicity item stating that she was slated to be in the projected THIRD film, to be titled either Death of DS or Curse of DS (can't recall which), was published in a 1971 mag, but I think by the time that the little squib was printed, Dan Curtis had already decided not to proceed with a third movie.

Hope you can get some sleep.

Best wishes,

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:23 PM »
My recollection of what Jim said was simply he did not know how the NODS will be formatted. Jim said it was possible that the deleted scenes would be a separated feature from the movie. Jim also said it was very possible that there would be a separate theatrical version and a separate full version of the movie with all of the deleted scenes in the DVD.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
I think Denise Nickerson did have a cameo in HODS that was cut. If I remember correctly, she alluded to that in an interview on a PA talk radio special called Collinsport Revisited. I can check that when I get home, but I'm fairly certain that's what she said.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:55 PM »
that's right, i believe i read that in 2 places, the trivia section on 'IMDB" which i admit freely can sometimes be wrong, & i also read that somewhere else as well, in an interview that she did herself. i even think it may have been on her offical site a couple years back. before it was closed. so that's where i think i read it. i dunno where else it was stated though. but i DO recall that's where i read it 1st. i can't recall if she said anything about a 3rd film. i wish Dan Curtis would have done one. but

oh well i guess. he he. & thanx you both for the info. i'm going to TRY & sleep some more. it's one of those days where you keep waking up every couple of hrs. don't you HATE THAT?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
That's fascinating if DN had a cameo in hoDS.  In everything that I have read about the movie, I had never heard that.  I wonder who she would have played--perhaps someone at the costume party?

I read in an old issue of Castle of Frankenstein I picked up a month or two ago that Bob Cobert had a cameo in that scene (costume party), but I failed to spot him the last time I watched the movie.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »
I think Denise Nickerson did have a cameo in HODS that was cut. If I remember correctly, she alluded to that in an interview on a PA talk radio special called Collinsport Revisited. I can check that when I get home, but I'm fairly certain that's what she said.

While a guest at the Collins Association party in 1998, Denise told guests that Curtis was upset with her for leaving the show and as a result, her appearance in the costume party scene in HoDS was cut, which led to much discussion by fans back then, because not only is there not a single bit of evidence to corroborate her story, but at the same Q&A she also contradicted what she had stated elsewhere about her reason for leaving the series in the first place.  Wow, that was a long sentence.  But anyway, I choose to take what she said that day with a grain of salt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 05:33:15 PM »
I read in an old issue of Castle of Frankenstein I picked up a month or two ago that Bob Cobert had a cameo in that scene (costume party), but I failed to spot him the last time I watched the movie.

I wonder if they confused Cobert with Bob Costello.