Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76038 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »
Hey B.Collins- no need to apologize- trying to decode the messy IMDB boards is as confusing as it gets.  Any comments from Darren-24 are mine, so you can depend on those...

Cobert did coroborate the story that he had a cameo in the party sequence in HODS, where he was playing the piano, as I recall, which was cut.  There's lots of stills from material cut from that sequence- it's probably about 1/3 as long as it was supposed to be, with much more character interaction, and story points elaborated on, etc.  I've seen several pix of David in period costume from the scene and lots of coverage of other little trimmed bits, but no image of Cobert or DN. 

An alternate universe where a fully expanded HODS and restored NODS existed would be a glorious place indeed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
An alternate universe where a fully expanded HODS and restored NODS existed would be a glorious place indeed.

Extremely glorious!  [ghost_wink]  Particularly an alternate universe where Julia's walk with Barnabas (hoDS Scene #186) and Quentin and Alex' discovery of Charles' skeleton and Angelique's actual coffin (NoDS Scene #229) still exists because that footage has apparently been destroyed in this universe.  [sad3]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2010, 08:28:15 PM »
Extremely glorious!  [ghost_wink]  Particularly an alternate universe where Julia's walk with Barnabas (hoDS Scene #186) and Quentin and Alex' discovery of Charles' skeleton and Angelique's actual coffin (NoDS Scene #229) still exists because that footage has apparently been destroyed in this universe.  [sad3]

Ugh, don't get me started.  I can still remember the crestfallen feeling when I was rolling through the long version all those years ago and saw it dissolve right from the basement to the seance.... Talk about mixed feelings.  Massive disappointment about scene 229, but wow, seance!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2010, 08:32:38 PM »
but wow, seance!

Thank heavens that still exists - and what glorious footage it is! I can never see it often enough.  [62b2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2010, 08:45:41 PM »
Cobert did coroborate the story that he had a cameo in the party sequence in HODS, where he was playing the piano, as I recall, which was cut.  There's lots of stills from material cut from that sequence- it's probably about 1/3 as long as it was supposed to be, with much more character interaction, and story points elaborated on, etc.  I've seen several pix of David in period costume from the scene and lots of coverage of other little trimmed bits, but no image of Cobert or DN.

Thanks, Darren.  Oh the pain!

LOVE that seance too.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »
thank you for your kind words Darren. i'm Stimpy25 on that site if ya ever see me on it. anyways, i apologized cause i didn't want to appear like i  knew everything cause i admit freely, that i don't.  i'm sure you've had to deal with people who think they DO know everything. who hasn't? he he. ya know? anyways, i think i recall DN saying it was during the party Sequence.

it's kinda funny how we can't trust 100% somone who did the show!  & sad at the same time. cause she doesn't seem to appear to me anyways like she thinks knows everything either. i wish i could have met Dan Curtis to ask him about it. oh well i guess.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »
Hi Midnite, I can't resist noting that Bob Costello couldn't have appeared in hoDS because at that point in the scheme of things, he was living in Beautiful Downtown Ottawa acting as producer for one of my favorite series, Strange Paradise!

I don't recall at all Denise Nickerson ever giving a reason why she left the series.  I think I was at that Collins Assn. party too, because I remember standing with Denise just outside the building talking to her about Grayson, who she remembered as very professional, courteous, and always being on top of her lines which she indicated wasn't always the case with other cast members.

Then again I don't remember her story about being the movie either, so I must have missed her presentation at the event.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 10:30:48 PM »
But I spied Bob Costello at the costume party.

Seeing HoDS again on the big screen along with having the advantages of both sitting up front and next to Guy Haines (who pointed it out) allowed me to see a goof-- a crewmember reflected in a glass pane that I'd never noticed before.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:22 PM »
Well, that's very interesting that Costello did appear in the film.  I had always wondered whether his departure from DS was an amicable one or not.  DC did not, to say the least, have a good track record when it came to amicable departures.

I thought Costello was in Ottawa pretty much full time from around October of 1969 through July of 1970 but evidently he made trips back to NYC...

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:48 PM »
I don't recall at all Denise Nickerson ever giving a reason why she left the series.

In an article in the DS Almanac (Millennium), she wrote that she had to leave DS to head to Germany for the filming of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.  At Lyndhurst, she said she left the show to make The Neon Ceiling.  I don't know which was accurate and I know memories aren't always perfect, but did her story change from 1998 to 2000?

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2010, 11:53:29 PM »
the mystery continues. well i don't know about the other film but Willy Wonka was film at some point in (1970) & her part was pretty big. other than "Dark Shadows" making her a star did doing films ever do that for her? to be honest i've only ever see her in 'Willy Wonka" so that's why i ask. i'd love to see her other work to be honest. & when i 1st saw her on "DS"

it took me a LONG TIME to get used to the idea really cause i have Littery seen "Willy Wonka" at least almost a thousand times i'm guessing. or close to it.  he he. i don't know the number. so seeing her in something else before that film was made or released took me some getting used to. & really the only films i've seen with any cast member Of "DS" is a few with "Joan Bennet" who hasn't?   'David Selby" i think a bit with "Kate Jackson" & that's all i can think of for now. oh & a couple with "Lara Parker" in short there hasn't been many films i've seen with actors from DS.

anyways you beat me to the punch. i was just going to ask why she left the show? one actor that i wish did the show even for a short time like "Abe Vigoda" did who looks EXACTLY the same as he did back than. he he. is "Christopher Lee" or "Vincent Price" one question though, i've seen places online that  say "Harvey Keitel" did the show as an extra at the blue Whale" i've seen the entire show a few time completly through & looked for him too. i just can't see him. "IMBD" i think lists him doing 2 or 3 in episods #35 or something like that, did he in fact do the show?

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:46 AM »
Thanks for answering my "Night of Dark Shadows" question, Darren (about why it wasn't in widescreen at the festival). I realize that the answers to many of my questions are probably to be found in the "Dark Shadows Movie Book" and have likely been addressed many times on this forum; fortunately, I have located my copy of the movie book now.*  [ghost_grin]

HODS was certainly effective on the big screen at the Vista Theater ... but reading about those deleted scenes and scenes that were never shot shows how much better the movie could have been. To take just one example - the scene where Barnabas and Julia begin to develop a relationship, which was never shot. That would have gone a long way to the jarring moment when Stokes announces to Julia "you're in love with him." So many things needed to be established or fleshed out that weren't.

A longer costume scene (and some mention of it beforehand, unless I missed it), would have been welcome. I do think children would have been out of place at an adult cocktail/costume event, and it would have looked odd to see Denise Nickerson there. But I guess if David was originally intended to be present, in costume, then I suppose he could have had a friend of his own age as a guest; so who knows - maybe Ms. Nickerson was planned for the scene.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
To take just one example - the scene where Barnabas and Julia begin to develop a relationship, which was never shot. That would have gone a long way to the jarring moment when Stokes announces to Julia "you're in love with him."

Do you mean the scene I referenced back in reply #61 - the scene in which Julia and Barnabas take a walk? If so, that was shot. In fact, there are many photos of it - one even in the DS Movie Book.  [ghost_smiley]

So many things needed to be established or fleshed out that weren't.

So many things weren't fleshed out because DC didn't want them to be fleshed out. Blood, gore, mayhem and death was quite obviously his philosophy over character development.  [ghost_rolleyes]

If I remember correctly, lost footage for NODS was found after the publication of the "Dark Shadows Movie Book."

[ghost_nowink]  It was actually found before.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »
Regarding Denise Nickerson in films.  I happened to catch her in a movie with Darren McGavin (saw the last half hour or so of it).  She must have been in her late teens/early twenties..she was quite a decent actress back then.  Because of her acting skills, physical features, etc., I think she would make an excellent Lisbeth Salander if she were about 30 years younger.  Hopefully Hollywood will choose someone with the right skills and physical appearance to play that role..but it things run true to form, they will pick someone for their beauty.  They've signed Daniel Craig for the role of Blomqvist..which is a good start. I too had heard the rumors about DN being in a 3rd DS movie.  When I think of what might have been, I get quite sad..but, if we can get NODS restored... [ghost_smiley]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »
If I remember correctly, lost footage for NODS was found after the publication of the "Dark Shadows Movie Book."

[ghost_nowink]  It was actually found before.

Actually it was found afterwards... working on the movie book lead me to propose going all out and looking into the missing footage with some serious effort...
;)