Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76546 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
Hi Steve.

Well, you can see the 9 sec shot (or maybe it's 7secs- going off memory here) on the DVD/Blu-ray trailer with the text over it, but you've probably seen it already...  A brief 2 sec bit of it is on the international trailer, and without text.  I'm sure you know it well!  Also keep your eyes out as the very first shot of the trailer is from a cut sequence (zoom in to glowing tower), and a few alternate angles in the hanging- the wideshot looking toward Angelque on the scaffold, for one.

The HODS trailer is the full 2:30 version, again sourced from the laserdisc and looking a bit grotty...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2012, 11:18:14 PM »
Thanks, Darren.  As I am sure I have mentioned multiple times, I own the laserdisc and my VHS tapes of the films are sourced from that.  The friend who made the tapes for me (I have never owned a laserdisc player) was kind enough to include the trailer from each disc. 

Even then WB home video was cheap, lazy, and disrespectful of these films.

Just calling it as I see it.

Steve

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
when i play the trailers to either hods or nods it freezes my entire player and the only way to resume playing is to unplug my blu ray player and plug it back in again! anybody else experience this problem?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 12, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »
I haven't even looked at hoDS - but I don't have that problem with NoDS.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 12, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
It's actually the same trailer that was on the laserdisc, and even the same exact 20+ year old transfer, from a damaged film element- You'll note the rip in the last shot of it.

I don't think I've seen the laserdisc version - well, unless it's the one that has shown up on a few Web sites, perhaps even your former Restoration site. I know I have seen a version on the Internet where Strak's line is included. But the odd thing is that it's completely missing in the version included on the DS Tribute (aka the DS 30th Anniversary). When it comes to that point in the trailer, there's just dead silence. And that's all the odder now that you've pointed out that it certainly appears that that version and the version on the DVD/Blu-ray are the same because they both have that rip near the very end. It's very odd.  [hall2_undecided]  Though I've also noticed that the version on the DS Tribute has somewhat of a green tint that isn't present in the Blu-ray version. (I'd show a side by side comparison, but my Blu-ray playing software on my computer doesn't have a screen capturing feature. Though a capture from the DS Tribute version is upcoming in this post.)

Plus if they transferred it from one of the elements that doesn't have the superimposed text and title card, you'd be able to see a full 9 second shot from the lost Poolhouse sequence, without the text over it...

Yes, here are screen caps with and without the NoDS logo:

Click here for a 640X480 version.)

-1min TEASER- this is the one that's mostly audio over the long-shot of Collinwood from HODS, with lightning flashes

That one has to be the most bizarre trailer for the film. But then I'm not particularly a fan of the radio spots, so using one of them over footage from hoDS is not something I'd respond to well anyway.  [hall2_wink]

-2min International trailer- this is on one of the DS bonus DVDs, but it's one without the superimposed text, and my fave of the bunch.

Yes, it's on DS Collection 26. It's probably my favorite as well, and I like to refer to it as the "He came from the house on the hill/She came from the grave" trailer because of the way the voiceover includes those tag lines over, among others, these two shots:

Plus it includes some great shots from the seance:

-TV spots (one was on the laserdisc- there are 10, 20, and 30 second varieties) a shot or two of a deleted scene is included on one of them.

I believe I've only seen the 10 and 30 second varieties of these. The 30 second version is on the DS Behind the Scenes VHS and segment of the DS Special Edition DVD. And I saw the 10 second version back in the day - though it wasn't much to get excited about because all it featured was the shot of Angelique approaching Tracy with the voiceover "From the makers of house of Dark Shadows, Night of Dark Shadows. (Laughter) A night of...TERROR."

Is the 20 second version of any interest compared to the 30 second version? At least the 30 second version includes deleted material.

The Miss American Ghost contest teaser- scrolling text over a Collinwood background.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen that. The only thing connected to Miss American Ghost that I've seen is the poster:

Click here for a 1680X2543 version.)

And radio spots.

Yes...well...

[hall2_wink]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 12, 2012, 07:21:48 PM »
Great stuff, MB.

I love this DS place.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 13, 2012, 05:03:38 AM »
Latarnia posted three good screen shots of the new hoDS disc here (look for page 6, middle of page, in this thread):

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/42499/master/1/?page=6#.UKHFGY7FXu0

He gives comparison shots from what he says is an Italian DVD--it looks a lot like the previous iteration we've seen of the movie, although I haven't seen the version Amazon offered for streaming/download.

I have to say the color, particularly on the third shot (Maggie lying on the altar from the final sequence of the movie) is stunning.  It actually looks a lot more crisp than what I recall from what was shown in the local movie house in Aberdeen Maryland in 1970.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 13, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
I don't know what "Italian DVD" was referred to in that thread. It looks like a bootleg made from the old VHS, and released by some shady company.  If the HODS/NODS DVDs will be available in Italy, and it's pretty certain they will be, then the will be identical to the US releases, with maybe slightly different audio/subtitle options.

I have no qualms on the colors for HODS- it looks mostly terrific to me.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 14, 2012, 04:23:26 AM »
I haven't bought mine yet, but -- looking at the captures -- I am extremely impressed with the way HoDS looks.  Simply gorgeous.  Now, I would like the studio to release NoDS "as it was meant to be." 

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »
A few interesting home forum threads on the Blu-ray/restoration controversy... Hop on over and throw your two cents in...  The studios do monitor the threads on the HTF...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/325284/night-of-dark-shadows-butchered-on-blu-ray

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/42499?page=7

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:36 AM »
Darren, your tireless and astounding efforts are truly heroic. I'll keep the faith till the fat lady sings!
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2012, 10:15:44 AM »
Amen. I'm staying optimistic. Never say die.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
That's a fabulous thread, Darren.  Way to go! and of course now i'm more frustrated than ever with the latest releases of the films. Aargh!

If I can think of something civil and eloquent to say, I'll post, but some of the posters, particularly yourself and Richard W, have already said it all much better than I could have.

If James Aubrey really did target Grayson's performance for cuts, that's yet another reason to loathe and detest the man.

Happy Thanksgiving!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
If James Aubrey really did target Grayson's performance for cuts, that's yet another reason to loathe and detest the man.

I had the exact same reaction when I read that.  [vylnt]  IMO Grayson's performance as Carlotta is absolutely one of the best things about NoDS.

David

« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »

[hall2_smiley]
My review of both films will be in the next issue of Videoscope. I refer to HODS as Dan's Hammer film, and NODS as his Ingmar Bergman film.