Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76234 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2012, 01:30:52 AM »
Darren, I think we all have a lot of faith in you!  We know how hard you have been working on this. 

I know I can't wait to see the results, and I am sure those results will be the best they can be! 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2012, 05:29:54 AM »
Darren, when the films finally see the disc release, I wish those of us who have been following this saga since the days of your classic Video Watchdog review essays could throw a very special party for you.  You deserve it!

cheers, Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2012, 05:27:36 AM »
Thank you...

No champagne corks will be popped until this thing is actually a fait accompli and not just promises...

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »
Good Luck Darren. I hope that all your hard work on the restoration of NODS will be a great success. I am really looking forward to it, especially on Blu Ray. Take care.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Adding my thoughts and best wishes, too.  I look forward to this, especially NODS.  Cheers to Darren!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
Maestro Gross! We're starved for information, man [nerv] !
Throw us a bone, some crumbs from the table, anything [nuts] !
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
Your secrets are safe with us [bigok]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:16 AM »
I greatly appreciate all the nice comments and well wishes.

Unfortunately, at this time, I am not at liberty to discuss anything.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
We wish you the best Darren.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:27 PM »
The feeling is mutual!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2012, 03:19:05 AM »
We're extremlyy fortunate that the project is in such good hands.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2012, 11:48:05 PM »
I thought of starting a separate topic about this, but it doesn't seem significant enough to warrant its own niche.  I was listening today to a Youtube post that combines 2 or 3 versions each of the surviving hoDS and NoDS trailers. In the NoDS trailer, it always sounds like Roger Davis doing the v/o to me, but then today I started to wonder.  Has anyone else thought that it was Davis on that trailer? Is there any confirmation one way or the other that we know of?

I thought this "cameo" in the NoDS trailer would be a pretty amusing touch if true, given that Davis was an outright star of the first film.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
In the NoDS trailer, it always sounds like Roger Davis doing the v/o to me, but then today I started to wonder.  Has anyone else thought that it was Davis on that trailer? Is there any confirmation one way or the other that we know of?

I know exactly where you're coming from... it's the way he says, "that house of dark...shadows" with the pause that probably triggered it.  It's not Davis though.  After years of poking around, I tracked down the company and editors (the reknowned Chuck Workman and his Calliope Films) that put together the HODS/NODS trailers, and it was one of the voice-over guys they normally used, but not Davis... No luck identifying the music track used in both, but he was fairly confident that it was probably a Bach organ piece, though not Toccata & Fugue in D minor.  The HODS trailer was something they were very proud of at the time, and it was up for an advertising award that year.  Workman & co went on to do some of the major trailers of the era, including Godfather 2, American Graffiti, Close Encounters..., and this little film called Star Wars...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
How wild because all these years I've thought it was Roger Davis. And that's mostly because there was many reports back in the day that said it was him. But then, we're talking about the same magazines that reported that Denise Nickerson had been cast in Death of Dark Shadows[ghost_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2012, 01:31:14 AM »
Hey MB,  I remember that mag, or should I say rag?  lol.

Darren, once again I bow to how incredibly far-reaching your research on these films has been.  Can't wait to read the new essay in the new PomPress book.  That is very cool that the hoDS trailer was up for an award.  I wonder which one.  I hope it was the one where the ghoulish horror-host-esque narrator says, after Grayson Hall's line "you're not really serious!" ... "Oh, but he IS, Julia," over footage of the unfortunate Dr.'s demise.  Just great stuff.

It's wild about that NoDS voiceover.  I was listening through headphones and it suddenly struck me (after the MANY times I've played that trailer) that there was something about the timbre of the voice that just didn't quite fit with Davis.

G.