Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 75847 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
For the record, the decision is not mine, nor do I believe it's the home video department's, who I'm certain feels they'd get a bigger sales bump if these were out during the new film's release.

Because of the unique take on DS that the trailer description out there and stills seem to convey, someone in the studio or the production team does not want brand confusion.  They're probably thinking of the long game here- turning this new film into a franchise series, apart from the works that came before, with the hopes that it could ultimately generate a half billion or more dollars like the Pirates series.  In the face of that, several hundred thousand dollars of sales generated by the movie releases on video probably seems like chump change in comparison.

For reasons I cannot go into right now, this may all be for the best.  There are things I'm working on right now in preparation for this project that are taking up a great deal of time and will need a couple of more months to play out...until I'm satisfied we can proceed in the best possible manner for the most polished possible result.  Hopefully this will all turn out to be a remarkable case of fate intervening in the timing, and hosannas will be sung this time next year.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
There are things I'm working on right now in preparation for this project that are taking up a great deal of time and will need a couple of more months to play out...until I'm satisfied we can proceed in the best possible manner for the most polished possible result.  Hopefully this will all turn out to be a remarkable case of fate intervening in the timing, and hosannas will be sung this time next year.

Sounds good to me. If the delay means we'll be getting a more polished/interesting release in 2013 than we would if it came out earlier, I'm more than willing to wait. After all, what's a few more months when we've been waiting for over 10 years.  [snow_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2012, 05:25:46 PM »
I agree. Although it is very frustrating, if the delay brings us a more superior release then it will definitely be worth the wait. Best of luck Darren and thanks for the update.

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
Thanks, Darren -- I appreciate all the years of hard work you've poured into these projects!
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Darren!  While it means a longer wait, I'm kind of accustomed to waiting longer than I'd like to for various entertainment releases, and if it makes the final result better it's all for the best!

Cathy

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the news, Darren, and for the hints that the delay may help you to deliver a superior product.  After all the YEARS of your own time you have put into this project, you deserve to be allowed to get it right.  I appreciate the fact that the films are in the hands of such a knowledgeable fan as yourself.

In the old days, whenever a remake came along, it meant that the original or previous iterations of a story were buried in the deepest, darkest vault known to humankind and sometimes lost for a time altogether.  This happened with both the 1932 Old Dark House and the 1935 She, I believe, in the Sixties.

G.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2012, 12:50:16 AM »
Ok Darren,if you feel that we can have a better Blu Ray and DVD of the restored version of Night, and also House, I will step back from my anger and frustration at this and wait a little longer.I really don't have much choice anyway. However, since I have a great love and affection for the original DS, and also the 91 series, I will have to calm down and relax. Forgive me for being so blunt about this. But, we are waiting an awful long time for this. Good luck Darren.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
thank you "Darren" for an update. since you are going to be working on it, to make it a better product i think i can wait a little longer as well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
The two questions/comments in the previous post about other topics have been moved to those topics. And though we certainly more than accept your apology, B.Collins, in the future we beg members to please try extremely hard to post in the correct topic. [beg]  Dividing individual posts and sending parts off to other topics is a pain in the you know where for us to do because, unlike being able to split entire posts out of topics and merging them with other topics, dividing posts isn't a feature that's built into the system for us so it's something we have to do on the fly on our own.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2012, 05:50:09 PM »
These will not be coming out until several months after the new film is released on Blu-ray and DVD, so sometime in 2013.

Only thing questionable there is that the new movie will definitely be out on blu and DVD before the end of the year. Big studio movies that came out in May and June of last year were on home video by September and October. Waiting til 2013 to release the new film on video is a big window.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2012, 10:33:44 PM »
Because of the unique take on DS that the trailer description out there and stills seem to convey, someone in the studio or the production team does not want brand confusion. 

It may be for the best if the original Dark Shadows movies (and the original DS series) are NOT closely associated with the new movie ... they may have little in common other than the basic plotline. Some DS "purists" may want to distance themselves from what is to come . . .
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
Something tells me they distanced themselves from the new film a long time ago - probably from the moment they learned about the film because for them all there is and all there ever will be is the original series. And that's certainly their decision to make so long as they don't behave irrationally towards the fans who are open to new and different versions of DS - but sadly that's not always the case. And even when it comes to the original films, there are plenty who vehemently dislike both of them because they're not the original series, so the fact that they're coming to DVD/Blu-Ray wouldn't interest them in the slightest bit, anyway, regardless of the new film...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2012, 01:47:58 AM »
In the old days, whenever a remake came along, it meant that the original or previous iterations of a story were buried in the deepest, darkest vault known to humankind and sometimes lost for a time altogether.  This happened with both the 1932 Old Dark House and the 1935 She, I believe, in the Sixties.

I believe this also happened with the classic Fredric March 'Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde' when the Spencer Tracy version came out.

Darren, thanks for all you've done and continue to do!  I look forward to the eventual release!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2012, 10:05:38 AM »
I'm glad both movies will be on Blu-Ray.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
In the old days,

Darren, thanks for all you've done and continue to do!  I look forward to the eventual release!

Thanks Penny and B. for the shout-out!

While I can't explain myself fully, if something I'm deep into right now, that began a month and a half ago doesn't yield some more results soon, I may end up at Windcliff.