Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 22938 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Hi everyone, coming out of lurkdom to say I heard about this series the other day, and while I know nothing is certain until it happens, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this series will be made and will be a good one! I look forward to reading more news and updates about it here.  Hope everyone's been well!!
Cathy

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Our newspaper's TV column regularly has a section called Kept/canceled/etc. and today (still calling Friday today) after listing a few programs renewed or canceled, it had "A continuation of the 1966-
71 “Dark Shadows” is in development at The CW."
Josette

Offline morlock

• I create new DS shows, of course.
    • View Profile
    • The Pit of Ultimate Dark Shadows
Hmm - the author of this one certainly seems confused:

The Vampire Comedy 'Dark Shadows' Is Getting A Reboot On The CW
A new adaptation of the American cult series is now on the cards.

I'm not sure which country this site is in, but they do use the European method for dates (the article is dated 12/09/2019) so perhaps they can be forgiven for only knowing the Depp/DS film. But still, they manage to claim the original series was a comedy, which it obviously wasn't...

We-l-l-l-l, it actually says "a mix of soap opera and the comedy typical of the era." That's pretty close to me as when I started viewing the original. I thought, "Wait, that person cracked a joke! I can't remember ever hearing this kind of humour on a soap opera before." Of course I was growing up on things like 'Eastenders' and 'Another World' (sorry), and other ones I saw were always dead-serious in tone. Then, with 'Dark Shadows', things like Carter's issue with his mustard on ham from the deli came up. That seemed to be really important to him over the details of Roger's accident.

At first I was thinking, "Maybe they are considering the era as the 1960's for having humour," but the only semi serious drama I can (at present) remember with that went back to the 1950's on radio, X Minus One, which had quite a bit of humour at times that kept me interested over other science fiction stories. I've often wondered if there was a window of time in broadcast and silver screen where humour was expected or natural as a basic cushion, whereas "comedy" in label might be more in keeping with never ending gags piling up.
I am Count Vladimir Dracula. I do not sell life insurance!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
definitely exciting news...

but having lived through the highs and lows of 2004 and 2012 i'm going to sit this round wish-list casting, storyline speculation, irrational demands that the 80-something original cast be involved, "Jonathan Frid is the ONLY Barnabas!!!" meltdowns, wails of discontent when this-or-that character is not on the roster, and the usual litany of fandom tantrums, false hopes, and go-nowhere pilot disappointments.

i'll watch it when it comes on.  [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
[pointing-up]  Think of those of us who also lived through it with the NBC DS (some of the initial comments in the fanzines were beyond the pale!) and the 2002 Fox pilot (which never got past DC writing a script).

And if the '91 DS proved anything, it doesn't end with the show actually getting aired...

Also, you're not the only one not looking forward to the fan arguments because last month when The Collinsport Historical Society reported that the rumors of a potential new DS being shopped around were true because an article on Bradley Gallo in Forbes Magazine confirmed them, the author of the article wrote: "I'm already dreading the inevitable Facebook arguments this is going to provoke."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
morlock, I agree that the original DS had a lot of humor, particularly the snide remarks during the 1897 storyline, many of which were totally priceless.  [ghost_cheesy]  But I don't think that's the kind of "comedy" that site is inferring, especially when they've chosen to use photos from the Depp/DS film to promote their article. So anyone seeing that could easily presume the kind of comedy the article is referring to is of a similar sort to the Depp/DS film. But I doubt the CW will be going that route...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's very interesting that an article on Netflixlife.com -

A Dark Shadows sequel series is in the works at The CW
The CW is rebooting Dark Shadows again! Dark Shadow: Reincarnation will be a sequel series and is in the works now.

- details that -

"Deadline reported that The CW will once again attempt to resurrect Barnabas Collins to pay residents of Collinsport, Maine a visit."

- when there's no such claim in Deadline's report. In fact, other than mentioning how popular Frid became playing Barnabas, there's no mention of Barnabas in the article or anything approaching an indication that Barnabas will even be a part of the show. So here's another clear example of a site injecting their own assumption into a piece and presenting it as a fact their source contained when it actually didn't. But then, we see that all too often on the Internet, and not just in regard to DS...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"Darkish Shadows"??!! Do they think it's a part of Black-ish, Grown-ish and the upcoming Mixed-ish?!

Warner Bros. and The CW Developing Dark Shadows Sequel Series

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
In addition to MeTV, I see where COMET also has an article on their site about the script deal. But then it shouldn't be any surprise that the retro stations would report the news.  [ghost_nowink]

Though I have to say that I love how a soapcentral.com author starts off her article with, "Oh My Gothic!"  [ghost_wink]

Offline morlock

• I create new DS shows, of course.
    • View Profile
    • The Pit of Ultimate Dark Shadows
Aye-aye, MB. I suppose it would have been more helpful if they expressed it as "humour" instead of "comedy". Thanks for explaining the article a bit more there. Glad to see this board at last too, after years of not being able to see it. You all really understand the load of missteps that arrives in so much reporting out there. It's a treat and relief to see.

I am Count Vladimir Dracula. I do not sell life insurance!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I own the first season of Revenge on DVD - and after pulling it out, I just noticed that 3 of his eps are on that set. The first season of that show was by far its best, with an amazing season finale, which Perry wrote. So, I suspect that if I revisit them, I'm going to discover Perry is an amazing writer...

That would actually be an understatement. I just finished watching those 3 eps and was nearly instantly reminded what a fantastic show Revenge was - but more to the point for us, what a great writer Mark Perry is. If he writes for the potential DS series in any way like he wrote for Revenge, we're going to be in for a totally character driven, incredibly spellbinding, edge of your seat thrill ride. And trust me, I'm not exaggerating when I say that...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
In fact, other than mentioning how popular Frid became playing Barnabas, there's no mention of Barnabas in the article or anything approaching an indication that Barnabas will even be a part of the show. So here's another clear example of a site injecting their own assumption into a piece and presenting it as a fact their source contained when it actually didn't. But then, we see that all too often on the Internet, and not just in regard to DS...

Don't they also get quite ahead of things when they say "Dark Shadows is officially coming back!"?? I mean, all we were actually told is that they have the go-ahead to write a pilot. There are still the steps of approving the shooting of the pilot, actually shooting it, and then praying it gets picked up for series.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Some fans speculate about the new series. I don't really have time to read through all of this, but perhaps it will be of interest to some of you.

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2019/09/a-few-thoughts-about-dark-shadows.html

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I also think that the CW is looking for somewhere to drive fans of Supernatural, a long running and successful show for them, because that is ending with this newest season. So if things work out correctly, perhaps DS could slide in and absorb some of their fanbase.
I was on that mindset as well, hearing that "Supernatural" was ending soon so something on a similar level could fill up the slot.

You're both right in that the CW is looking for a replacement for Supernatural, however, a potential DS isn't the only possible replacement. Members who have been following the development of a Lost Boys series -
Lost Boys Adaptation
- know that has been in the pipeline since this past January. And while this past May the pilot that was shot was passed on by the CW, there were reports almost immediately after that the CW would recast practically every role and reshoot it later this year. So, a potential DS would seem to have competition in the replace Supernatural department. Though the interesting thing is that over the past few weeks I've been seeing rumblings that the CW may no longer be interested in reshooting. None of the reports of that have been official, so they might all be rumor and everything might still be completely on track. Though it is interesting that the rumblings would seem to coincide with the negotiations for the DS script deal. But it's way too early to read anything into that.

Could the CW have both a Lost Boys series and a Dark Shadows series? Sure - they already seem to have 1001 superhero series! And judging by the LB movie, which the pilot was closely based on, LB and DS aren't really anything alike. But only time is going to tell how things will play out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Classic soap Dark Shadows gets another chance at life and death

"One thing’s for certain, there’s always room for another soapy drama!"

I couldn't agree more...