Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 22908 times)

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
For some more unrelated bad news, the tvbythenumbers ratings website has shut down...  [offtheair]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think the fact that SHADOWGRAM UPDATE  #433, the first since the CW finalized all its pilots for this year, doesn't mention a thing about DS:R actually speaks volumes...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Maybe Shadowgram is pulling a Barney Fife and waiting for the official verification before posting anything ... lol.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The CW's Walker Texas Ranger Reboot Casts The 100 Star Lindsey Morgan

This article lists DS:R among the projects "still in various stages of development" at the CW - and the fact that we haven't heard otherwise would seem to support that. Though it would just be nice if someone among TPTB or someone representing them actually came out and said so. But it often is the case that TPTB invovled in these things love to remain tight lipped when it comes to how things are developing. And that would certainly seem like the case here because we haven't heard word one since the script deal was announced with great fanfare back in September. And given that fact, it's mostly a case that we all assumed DS:R was being developed for this pilot season. The September Press Release never actually said that. And we know what happens when you assume...

I suppose our mantra needs to be: Patience.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Although I do have to keep in mind how long the Depp/Burton project took to become reality

You would seem to be the only one with words of warning that the development of DS:R might take longer than most were expecting...

Though Brandon Collins did wonder if there was enough time for DS:R to be ready for next fall. I honestly did think there was, mostly because I've seen so many other shows do it in as little amount of time. But obviously each case is different. And as Brandon also said, we wouldn't want them to move too fast at the risk of bungling things...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to the CW - something I alluded to, and something that just came up in TV Critic Matt Roush's Friday Ask Matt column - is that "CW is programming mostly year-round" so new shows can pop up on the network at almost any time of the year. New network programming is no longer limited to just being introduced in the fall or at midseason.

Also, as I also mentioned, the CW, like the streaming services, has many shows that run for 8-13 eps rather than a full 22 eps (or more) season.

Even if DS:R were to get an 8 ep order, I'd gladly take it over not getting any new DS at all...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Well, I admire your optimism MB, but I really think you're glossing over reality here. Despite the limited number of openings for new shows which worked against Dark Shadows from the get go, the CW didn't just go out of their way not to select DS but REALLY went out of their way not to. Walker was given a series go without even a pilot, Kung Fu was a rejected project from a completely different network for pilot...but worst of all Lost Boys was given a redo for a 2nd pilot -almost unheard of these days. It's pretty clear if they are going forward with a vampire themed project, it's Lost Boys not DS. As for sister networks picking up DS, the CW is a sister network to CBS - which also owns Showtime and CBS Sports channel. In the Viacom merger, CBS just acquired an eclectic bunch of cable channels including TV Land, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, BET and Paramount Network. None of which are even remotely compatible with DS. (Could you imagine DS on BET with Wesley Snipes as Barnabas or moving Collinwood to Nashville for Paramount Network ...lol)

Nobody wants a DS reboot to happen more than me and I feel Perry's project has a lot of promise, it just feels like 1991 all over again. I organized the NBC rally here in Orlando. and with the rallies , letter and phone call campaign, I really thought DS had a good chance of getting renewed. Wrong. It wasn't till after the fact we learned that Warren Littlefield who took over NBC programming from Brandon Tartikoff hated the show and had no intention of renewing it. No matter how big the fan effort was, the fix was in. I get that same feeling now. I looked up what pilot scripts cost and Perry got the standard fee of around $40,000. The cost of shooting a pilot is a million or more, so what the CW has invested to this point is minimal. I would imagine the rights will reverent back to Perry at some point to shop around or just put out there. Networks are copycats, so if Lost Boys makes it to series and does well, DS will get another look see for sure. Otherwise, I think this project is a goner.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When DS:R wasn't picked for the last two pilot spots, I was definitely depressed because I also thought it was a goner. But the more time that goes by makes me wonder why no one has said as much. Back when the '04 pilot was passed on, there were all sorts of articles to say so, particularly in places like Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. There hasn't been anything like that. Not to mention there hasn't been a peep from any of the Twitter feeds I mentioned, and Twitter is rarely silent, even when the news is bad. And perhaps more significantly, nothing from ShadowGram - SG was one of the first entities to report that the '04 pilot was dead at the WB, but in this week's SG Update there was nothing mentioned regarding the pilot script's fate.

Rather than seeing it as a bad thing that the two projects from last year were picked over DS:R, I see that as something potentially good because it means that the CW is willing to give projects extended time to develop. And as I said, nowhere did it say in any of the announcements for DS:R that it was being developed for this coming season. That was our assumption - and it was a logical assumption - but that doesn't mean it was a correct assumption. It would be nice if we knew one way or the other, but TPTB are maddening silent when it comes to what's actually going on with the project.

Then there's the article that claims DS:R is still among the projects in various stages of development at the CW. Granted, I might feel more confident if the site saying that was one that's more substantial in online entertainment news. I honestly don't know what comicbook.com's reputation for accuracy is. But for what it's worth, they posted the news of Lindsey Morgan's casting in the Texas Ranger pilot almost 2 days before Deadline.com did, and Deadline.com is a powerhouse site in online entertainment news which generally scoops everyone else. (As an example, let's not forget Deadline.com broke Mark Perry's deal with the CW.)

The truth is I'm not sure what we should believe when it comes to the status of DS:R. But as more time passes without word of its death at the CW (especially no word from places like SG and Twitter), and as circumstances come around to point to how it could potentially still be alive, I'm willing to be more optimistic than pessimistic...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I wouldn't necessarily look at Texas Ranger or Lost Boys being picked up as a detriment to a potential DS:R getting the pilot treatment in the future. TR is probably a no brainer for the CW because it's a property with a built in fan base that is going to star an actor from a show with a built in fan base. I'm sure they probably figured no pilot order needed since I'm sure whatever research they've done for how the show is expected to perform has probably placed it about even with the shows they currently air.

As for LB, I think that maybe is a stab at them to revitalize something that has arguably more of a relevant cult following for today's target audience (although that same audience does skew to be older than CW's usual teenage watchers) so maybe they felt it was a better shot at making a successful show compared to something like DS. Then again, I'm sure LB purists are just as hardcore about their fandom as some of our DS fans are, so there's always the chance that the show bombs and makes the CW hesitant to go down that road again.

As for DS, it does have a lot working against it. Two failed television revival attempts (although at least 91 got half a season) and an abysmal 2012 movie outing that was panned by critics and fans alike. The property doesn't really scream "gold mine" at this point, so I'm sure the CW is being careful with how they roll it out, if they intend to do so.

I said it before, and MB mentioned it above, the longer the DS project takes (though not TOO long) the better I'm thinking it will be. We don't want it to be rushed, but we also don't want to wait a decade for it. My hope is that maybe it becomes a mid season replacement and does well enough to garner future seasons. These days a season can be anything, really, from 6-26 episodes depending on the platform or network. There's no hard rules for how to air a show.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This article seems like it's just getting around to reporting the initial news (where have they been - plus they also seem like English isn't their first language) instead of indicating DS:R is still in development. But who knows...

Dark Shadows TV Show in Development at The CW

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
L.A. Writers Center Announces Webinars BY Writers FOR Writers

Well, here's what this reliable site is reporting with regard to Mark Perry:

Mark is currently developing a sequel series to the cult class DARK SHADOWS with Amasia Entertainment and Warner Bros. TV.