Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 22836 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Mark Perry (if I've got the name right--I am not familiar with his work, because as we all know, I live in a cave) has the good taste to quote Grayson Hall.

'My plan is to take as few liberties as possible with the Dark Shadows canon, while bearing in mind a quote from a 1970s episode delivered by the inimitable Oscar-nominee Grayson Hall as Dr. Julia Hoffman: ‘The Collins family history is not particularly famous for its accuracy.’”'

That remark is obviously giving us a clue about something. But I'm not quite sure about what...

As for Mark Perry, I checked his writing credits on IMDb and I was actually most impressed that he wrote for Pasadena. Some might have no idea what that show was. But it was a really trippy/twisty soap that ran on Fox back in 2001/2002. It was definitely ahead of its time. And Martin Donovan, who played Roger in the '04 pilot, was a part of the cast. I loved it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Still going through dozens of new alerts to the news. So far none have more info than what Deadline shared. But I'm sharing this link -

CW Plans New “Dark Shadows” Series

- simply because it contains the following -

"The WB did a pilot in 2004 which starred Alec Newman as Barnabas Collins along with Jessica Chastain, Kelly Hu, Martin Donovan, Matt Czuchry and Jenna Dewan."

and it's nice to see so much info on the '04 pilot being mentioned for a change. Though apparently Marley Shelton is chopped liver even though she's made many TV appearances since doing the pilot, including starring in three TV series...

- and this link -

The CW Knows Its Audience, Wants to Resurrect Another Classic With Dark Shadows: Reincarnation

- simply for the comment about Johnny Depp's Barnabas wig.  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Their article about the script deal is currently the most commented article on TVLine.com:

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Mark Perry also wrote for The Wonder Years, a big favorite of mine. So I think the reboot is in good hands.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I actually watched a few episodes of THE WONDER YEARS back when it was on, and I thought it was a really well done show. Of course I have no idea what calibre Mr Perry's more recent work has shown. I did think his comments in that press release were thoughtful and on a hopeful track, and that wasn't just because he quoted Grayson (I actually don't recall her saying that line on the show).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
(I actually don't recall her saying that line on the show).

I figured she must have said it in 1970 while researching 1840. And sure enough, when I did a search of Robservations, up came this from Ep #1075:

... Julia and Barnabas are going through massive tomes down in the drawing room. After all our research, complains Barn, the only things we've been able to find out are Tad and Carrie's dates of birth and death. This can mean a great deal says Julia--Carrie and Tad died at about the same age that David and Hallie are now. We've got to find much, much more, insists Barnabas. So far, we haven't come up with much, agrees Julia. At least the fact that they both died at the same time warranted some explanation, he says. Try to remember that the Collins family history isn't famous for accuracy, says Julia--I mean, what happened to you was important, and you were deliberately omitted. ...

As for Perry, when I checked IMDb I noticed that I've watched several of the shows he's written for - though I certainly don't recall his specific scripts. And, unfortunately, I don't own any of the shows on DVD, so I can't pop in a disc and revisit them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As for Perry, when I checked IMDb I noticed that I've watched several of the shows he's written for - though I certainly don't recall his specific scripts. And, unfortunately, I don't own any of the shows on DVD, so I can't pop in a disc and revisit them...

Actually, I take that back. I own the first season of Revenge on DVD - and after pulling it out, I just noticed that 3 of his eps are on that set. The first season of that show was by far its best, with an amazing season finale, which Perry wrote. So, I suspect that if I revisit them, I'm going to discover Perry is an amazing writer...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Thanks for looking that line up, MB! I do remember that scene now, but it's so long since I last watched those shows that I don't recall the line at all. I'm sure Grayson had fun with that bit of dialogue.

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article.  Is this another remake or a reboot?  If it's the latter, is it DS 50+ years later/  Who of the characters (based upon the performers) is still alive?  We've got Carolyn, David, Quentin and Maggie (among the main ones - there are other minor ones).  Even Angelique, in some form, would still be alive.  Everyone else has gone to the great beyond.  I forgot, Willie is still alive.

Do they intend to get the original actors/actresses back?  Will they be recast?  Dallas was rebooted with the OC, as was Will and Grace and Roseanne (now The Connors after Ms. Barr did her whoops and got knocked off).

Like I said, I'm a pessimist.  Guess we all need to wait and see.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm very fascinated with the idea of original cast members showing up for stints as their original characters. I think it could work so well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the article.  Is this another remake or a reboot?  If it's the latter, is it DS 50+ years later

At this point nothing is known for sure. Some fans are taking remarks in the article, particularly Mark Perry's references to Star Trek: The Next Generation along with the show's title, Dark Shadows: Reincarnation, to mean the show will be some sort of "next generation" take on the original. But that isn't made absolutely clear in the article, so it may not be. We really need more details from TPTB before we'll know anything for sure...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm very fascinated with the idea of original cast members showing up for stints as their original characters. I think it could work so well.

That would certainly be interesting. Normally I'm not a fan of a new version of a show bringing something like original actors as their original characters in - at least not initially or even in a first season - I'd like to see the new show stand on its own first. But if this new show is going to have a "next generation" take, as you say, it could work...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Their article about the script deal is currently the most commented article on TVLine.com

The article is still the most commented - now with 79 responses...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This news is beyond exciting! (Although I do have to keep in mind how long the Depp/Burton project took to become reality--and what that reality turned out to be, for better or worse.)

One wish I have for this is that they keep the essence of Sy Thomashoff's set designs--in particular the foyer and drawing room of Collinwood and the Old House. Not full carbon copies, of course, but tweaked a bit to make them more grand (and realistic), and it would be a treat to see all the walls in each of the rooms! Since this is intended to be a continuation, keeping the same basic architecture just makes sense.