Author Topic: **‘Dark Shadows’ Gets New Blood As CW, Warner Bros Television Set Pilot Script Deal**  (Read 22825 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The article is still the most commented - now with 79 responses...

Still the most commented - now with 95 responses...

(It's interesting how many new/younger than 50 fans seem to be watching DS on Decades. One might expect the Decades Channel itself wouldn't attract many but the 50+ crowd - but one could seemingly be wrong...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Looks like collider.com has been won over by what they've read:

A ‘Dark Shadows’ Spinoff Series Is Coming to The CW and It Actually Sounds Good

It's actually quite fascinating how many sites are reporting the news of the script deal. I must have received close to 100 alerts/links to sites - and I'm still sifting through them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
b]"The WB did a pilot in 2004 which starred Alec Newman as Barnabas Collins along with Jessica Chastain, Kelly Hu, Martin Donovan, Matt Czuchry and Jenna Dewan."[/b]

and it's nice to see so much info on the '04 pilot being mentioned for a change. Though apparently Marley Shelton is chopped liver even though she's made many TV appearances since doing the pilot, including starring in three TV series...

It's nice to see that this one -

Dark Shadows sequel series in the works

- remembers Marley Shelton was in the pilot -

"... the WB created a pilot for a Dark Shadows remake. The pilot featured the likes of Alec Newman, Marley Shelton, Alexander Gould, Martin Donovan, Jenna Dewan, and Jessica Chastain ..."

- as well as Alexander Gould. Though they omitted Kelly Hu and Matt Czuchry. Seems like there's no getting all the actors in.  [ghost_nowink]  No one yet has mentioned Blair Brown...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Still the most commented - now with 95 responses...

Now with 97.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I was very excited to hear this news the other day. I know a lot of fans are die-hard for the original and are very skeptical when it comes to any sort of reboot/remake/continuation. And they should be. But I'm hopeful. At a bare minimum, even if this doesn't work out, the fact that DS can still pop in in mainstream pop culture after 50 years and potentially generate new interest just speaks to the power of this brand (and those working behind it).

I'm also encouraged by Perry's comments regarding the original and his love for it. I think he hit the nail on the head when quoting Julia Hoffman's comment about the family history not being particularly accurate. This is a great approach to take that could allow for them to rewrite some of the history, the bumps in the road, and mine some further story out of this franchise. It also could lend itself to the inclusion of some of the original actors as their original characters when done correctly.

I also think that the CW is looking for somewhere to drive fans of Supernatural, a long running and successful show for them, because that is ending with this newest season. So if things work out correctly, perhaps DS could slide in and absorb some of their fanbase.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
[headbang] [hello] Ohhhh this is exciting!! I'm cautiously optimistic about it being on the CW, as I would've preferred to see it on a streaming service due to the limitations of network releases. I'm wondering if perhaps with the popularity of shows like Outlander, they will dabble into the time-travel aspect of DS. That is really what I'm hoping for. Theoretically they could go the route of the J.J. Abrams Trek movies and create something of an alternate time-line via I-ching or the stairway thru time in the first episode. The possibilities are endless really. I'll be crushed if they don't have some cameos, or people playing their old characters. Hands down, the best news I've heard in a looooong time. 
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now with 97.

Now with 104. Obviously the news is really registering with the TVLine.com readers.

And one thing that I find fascinating in general is that the news of the script deal has actually gone international. Today I received alerts for sites in Asia, Panama and Australia...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
If they're eyeing it as a replacement for Supernatural, I predict that the story will focus on teenage versions of Barnabas and Quentin, frequently eyeing one another with smolderingly slashy ambiguous eyes while shirtless and damp from their exertions trying to banish this week's MonsterCurseMemeHorror that will SPELL DOOM FOR THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE.

It will be fun!

cheers, G.

Offline morlock

• I create new DS shows, of course.
    • View Profile
    • The Pit of Ultimate Dark Shadows
I was on that mindset as well, hearing that "Supernatural" was ending soon so something on a similar level could fill up the slot.
I am Count Vladimir Dracula. I do not sell life insurance!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I apologize to the moderators for how many times variations on the word "eye" appeared in my post.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Apparently, there were Leviathans on Supernatural. Maybe the new DS is going to be set up as a Supernatural spinoff. Seems highly plausible.

Remember, you read it here first.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmm - the author of this one certainly seems confused:

The Vampire Comedy 'Dark Shadows' Is Getting A Reboot On The CW
A new adaptation of the American cult series is now on the cards.

I'm not sure which country this site is in, but they do use the European method for dates (the article is dated 12/09/2019) so perhaps they can be forgiven for only knowing the Depp/DS film. But still, they manage to claim the original series was a comedy, which it obviously wasn't...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I apologize to the moderators for how many times variations on the word "eye" appeared in my post.

No apology necessary.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I would think that in order to capitalize on the fanbase of Supernatural, they are going to have to move quickly with this new version of DS. After all, Supernatural will end probably sometime next spring. Is there enough time to have a new DS ready for air by next fall to take Supernatural's spot in the line up? I know Hollywood can move fast, but I wouldn't want them to do that with the risk of bungling this whole thing.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran