Author Topic: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD  (Read 36226 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2005, 02:38:16 PM »
DVD Planet already has the 3-disc box set listed -- at a price of $27.97 !!  I can't find it anywhere else as of yet... I usually like Deep Discount DVD myself because it offers free shipping.  Anyway, FYI.  Yay for inexpensive DS!!

It is already getting exciting. Here is a link to an article on its release:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3853

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2005, 04:13:26 PM »
This is fascinating!!  While at the fest, MPI had a table in the Dealer's Room so I asked the lady if they planned on having the 1991 revival on DVD.  She said they had no plans of it for the next year.  Guess they plan one year at a time as to what they do.  Maybe this lady didn't know about these plans or them made them after the fest.  Could have been a common question in which they took back to headquarters but looks like it was planned before that.
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2005, 04:28:18 PM »
This is fascinating!!  While at the fest, MPI had a table in the Dealer's Room so I asked the lady if they planned on having the 1991 revival on DVD.  She said they had no plans of it for the next year.  Guess they plan one year at a time as to what they do.  Maybe this lady didn't know about these plans or them made them after the fest.  Could have been a common question in which they took back to headquarters but looks like it was planned before that.

Yeah that is odd. I too remember asking the same question to MPI several years ago and they told me that they would release the 1991 series only after every single classic DS episode was out on DVD. I guess it comes down to MGM/UA simply wanting to earn some bucks (since they own that series anyway) and perhaps this will lead to another DS project. You never know.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2005, 06:45:18 PM »
Doesn't MGM also own the rights to HoDS and NoDS?  If the Revial Series set is successful, I wonder if it would inspire them to finally release DVDs of the two films?? 

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »
Nope. They're owned by Warner Bros. who also own every MGM film made before 1986.

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2005, 07:25:11 PM »
Nope. They're owned by Warner Bros. who also own every MGM film made before 1986.

Thanks Darren.  Too bad... maybe Warner Bros. will wake up and take notice.  We can hope anyway. 

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2005, 07:31:25 AM »
By the way, if anyone needs a revival series fix until the DVD news becomes official (sometime this week?), the DS Journal Online has a link to a site devoted to that series:

http://www.darkshadows-resurrected.com/

:)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2005, 03:25:04 AM »
I wonder if there is any chance whatsoever that the 2004 pilot will make it to DVD.  I assume that the reporter at the Fest who talked about the pilot was invited to do so by DCP. Right?  Who owns the pilot?  Is it DCP or The WB or both?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 02:33:21 PM »
The Digital Bits website has an announcement that the 1991 Dark Shadows revival series will be released on DVD this fall. The set is currently scheduled for 10/18 and will be 3 discs. Here's a link to the page...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa107.html#1943     Look for the 8/8/05 entry, below the "King Kong" release information (which will probably be of interest to many of us as well).  :o
   I picked up volume 1 of the 1991 series on VHS at this years show to see the longer cut of the '91 pilot. It was better than I had remembered it, not having watched it for a few years. The box will be a nice supplement and somewhat unexpected. The SRP is $39.95. The only bad news is that no extras are listed.  :-  (What no screen tests for Joanna Going? No commentary by Sam or Matthew Hall? I'm sure Ben Cross had SOME bloopers!)
Michael
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 04:33:18 PM »
Sorry I had missed this original thread. I've been really busy since we got back from California, straight from vacation into a week and a half of volunteer work in addition to my regular job. But, I really enjoy the volunteer work, the congregations here in Richmond VA rotate a shelter for homeless families and its our week. In the past when we've had single adults we have run some (requested) horror films at night including Hammer films and House of Dark Shadows but with small kids we can't run anything scarier than say, "Haunted Mansion" or "Ghost and Mr. Chicken." They have watched the original Wonka twice tho!
     Like most of you, I hope we get surprised with a few extra on the DS '91 DVDs.

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 04:38:48 PM »
DVD Planet already has the 3-disc box set listed -- at a price of $27.97 !!

Amazon now has it listed for the same price.

I can't find it anywhere else as of yet... I usually like Deep Discount DVD

Usually they've had one of the best deals, if not the best deal on the DVDs I've bought online - but it still isn't listed there.  :(

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2005, 04:55:58 PM »
The only bad news is that no extras are listed.  :-  (What no screen tests for Joanna Going? No commentary by Sam or Matthew Hall? I'm sure Ben Cross had SOME bloopers!)

There are bloopers, interviews, behind the scenes footage, outtakes, and deleted scenes on MPI's Dark Shadows Resurrected VHS tape. But there are probably licensing issues with including any of that material on the DVDs. Normally when one distributor releases a property on VHS and a completely different one releases it on DVD, things can get dicey in that respect.  :(

MPI's DS Resurrected tape is actually a must have for any fans of the '91 series.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2005, 05:26:16 PM »
Warner owns the pilot, though it would take a miracle for it to be released on DVD.

If the two features ever get greenlighted for a DVD release, I'll try my best to convince the powers that be, but I think its both a legal nightmare (I doubt in the rush frantic to dealmaking and production that any of the contracts had video rights worked in) and would require more money poured into it to remove the temp music and replace it.

Hold onto your memories of seeing the pilot, as its doubtful you'll ever see it again for a looong time...

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2005, 05:56:20 PM »
Don't say if the two feature films are released, it's WHEN!!!!!!  We don't need defeatism in the world of Dark Shadows.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2005, 07:11:34 PM »
Freudian slip. ::)