Author Topic: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD  (Read 36266 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 09:48:28 PM »
The extended footage really added to the plot points and atsomphere of the series.  The DVD would have disappointed me with their omission.

Exactly. Anyone who's a fan of the '91 series should definitely buy the VHS tapes before they disappear. It's really a major shame the extra 14 minutes of pilot footage was never shown by NBC.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 10:56:08 PM »
This is a pisser. I'll buy the DVDs, but of all media for the extended scenes -plus- whatever other extras the producers could see fit to include, this is really it. What a waste.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 11:51:38 PM »
Nope, MGM and Warners have nothing to do with each other.

You may be thinking of Sony which just bought MGM.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2005, 12:16:07 AM »
obviously i love the original series and was greatly looking foreward to the 2004 version when it was in production.but for some reason the 1991 version has never held any interest for me.i can't explain it but i've never seen it and really don't plan to. :-
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 12:47:28 AM »
Miss Winters,

I found out through barns and nobles where i work. It`s going to cost 39.99. Iam so excited to buy it.

EVAN HANLEY

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 01:06:50 AM »
The extended footage really added to the plot points and atsomphere of the series.  The DVD would have disappointed me with their omission.
Exactly. Anyone who's a fan of the '91 series should definitely buy the VHS tapes before they disappear. It's really a major shame the extra 14 minutes of pilot footage was never shown by NBC.

I totally agree. I wonder what MGM's thought process was when they decided not to include the extra footage. It seems studios are intentionally filming extra footage when shooting theatrical movies knowing that in the future it will be marketed as a DVD with footage never before seen etc... Hopefully, MGM will go out and obtain new interviews with the cast and crew or are they going cheap? I do like the idea of it being released as a box set. I thnk it is great that the DVDs release will keep DS in the media and may attract new fans.

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2005, 01:08:35 AM »
My big concern is the format/price for the whole 13 episodes.  I mean, I don't  keep track of prices for TV series DVD releases, but Miami Vice season 1 was squeezed onto 3 discs and costs $40 for 22 hours of solid 80's goodness (plus some featurettes).  DS '91 is a half season of TV.  I won't be feeling generous if I feel someone is trying to rip me off.

obviously i love the original series and was greatly looking foreward to the 2004 version when it was in production.but for some reason the 1991 version has never held any interest for me.i can't explain it but i've never seen it and really don't plan to. :-
It's solid.  A relative lack of hot chicks though.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »
It'll be one release- the entire series in one set.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2005, 02:09:48 AM »
My big concern is the format/price for the whole 13 episodes.  I mean, I don't  keep track of prices for TV series DVD releases

$39.99 is the typical list price for 13 episodes. A full 22 episodes tends to list for $59.99 or more.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 04:55:06 AM »

I'm glad they are releasing the 91 series on DVD.  Bummer about not including the extra footage though.  That's a weird decision.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2005, 05:09:34 AM »
but for some reason the 1991 version has never held any interest for me.i can't explain it but i've never seen it and really don't plan to. :-

I'm sorry to hear that.  Joanna Going was an incredible Victoria Winters.  She brought a great deal of depth to the character and was totally believable with some of the crazier things they had her do.

I found out through barns and nobles where i work. It`s going to cost 39.99. Iam so excited to buy it.

Thank you for letting me know.  That's not a bad price for the entire thing.  I may wait for a sale or get it at a discount through other outlets.

About a month ago I wound up spending the night in the hospital emergency room.

I hope you are well now Nancy.  I truly hate the ER.

...I can now attest that looking at Russell Crowe and Liam Neeson for an extended period of time had restorative powers for me! ;D

Eye candy has amazing curative powers.

Offline Satan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2005, 06:12:06 AM »
MGM will be releasing them on DVD.

The pilot will be the broadcast version and not the extended cut that MPI put together. The rest of the eps will be the broadcast versions as well. Not sure whether ep 2 & 3 will be two separate ones or the edited together broadcast version. I think they'll be 2 separate episodes.

They should look terrific. They're from High Definition masters made within the last few years.

I've known since last month this show was coming to DVD, but I didn't know they were going to be the edited episodes. Where did you get the info that they will be the broadcast versions and not the extended versions?

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2005, 07:00:45 AM »
DVD Planet already has the 3-disc box set listed -- at a price of $27.97 !!  I can't find it anywhere else as of yet... I usually like Deep Discount DVD myself because it offers free shipping.  Anyway, FYI.  Yay for inexpensive DS!!   :)

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2005, 07:07:48 AM »

I hope you will at least rent the first one to see if you like it. It was pretty good at the time.

I'm really excited about this and hope that you are mistaken about the extra footage not being included. I'll have to buy the first and last videos if the extra scenes aren't included. I also heard that American Gothic is finally going to be release around October too. So I hope you check it out if you haven't seen it. It too was a fun show.

I hope that this release will bring in new viewers for the original show and maybe help get a new show on the air too.

Misa ;D

ClaudeNorth