Author Topic: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD  (Read 36258 times)

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« on: August 04, 2005, 07:09:46 PM »
They just announced that the 1991 Dark Shadows is comming out on dvd 10185.

Evan Hanley

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 04:33:29 AM »

Thanks Evan for the news on the 1991 series to be finally released on DVD! I guess it will be released by MPI?

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:12:09 AM »

Who is they and where did you see/hear this?  I'm curious because they told me there were no plans and that it was all going out of print.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 04:58:29 PM »
MGM will be releasing them on DVD.

The pilot will be the broadcast version and not the extended cut that MPI put together. The rest of the eps will be the broadcast versions as well. Not sure whether ep 2 & 3 will be two separate ones or the edited together broadcast version. I think they'll be 2 separate episodes.

They should look terrific. They're from High Definition masters made within the last few years.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »
MGM will be releasing them on DVD.

The pilot will be the broadcast version and not the extended cut that MPI put together. The rest of the eps will be the broadcast versions as well. Not sure whether ep 2 & 3 will be two separate ones or the edited together broadcast version. I think they'll be 2 separate episodes.

They should look terrific. They're from High Definition masters made within the last few years.

Thanks Darren for the information! I am very excited to see the 91 series on my new 50 inch plasma TV with surround sound and all. It is also great to see the big studio remember that it had/has a tremendous franchise with DS.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 05:16:26 PM »
Gee....isn't it a shame that people who were hoping for the '91 series to be released on DVD ran out and bought (about-to-become-obsolete) VHS copies, because word went out that the series wouldn't BE released on DVD.  But now, lo and behold!...here it comes on DVD.

Sombody tell me you don't believe this was a carefully arranged scenario from the start, please.  I have a bridge, in Johnny Karlen's old neighborhood, for sale.

::)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 05:33:47 PM »
Gee....isn't it a shame that people who were hoping for the '91 series to be released on DVD ran out and bought (about-to-become-obsolete) VHS copies, because word went out that the series wouldn't BE released on DVD.

Well, at least anyone who ran to buy the VHS tapes do have footage that it sadly appears won't be on the DVDs.  :(  Both the pilot and the finale are extended with footage that was never shown on NBC. Also, for some strange reason one of the act closers for Episode #7 is edited slightly differently than the version NBC showed.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 05:47:08 PM »
Raineypark did raise an interesting issue as to the timing of the news of the 91 series DVD release although my point is not exactly on target. Just curious as to what gave MGM the impetus to release the series on DVD? Perhaps its awakening may lead to more DS projects. In any event this is a huge development for DS fans and for the franchise.

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:06:59 PM »
I'm fortunate. I didn't buy the '91 series on video...I didn't know if I wanted to shell out the money for it because I've never seen it. Depending on the cost of the DVD set, I'll pick it up.

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 06:54:21 PM »
Gee....isn't it a shame that people who were hoping for the '91 series to be released on DVD ran out and bought (about-to-become-obsolete) VHS copies, because word went out that the series wouldn't BE released on DVD.  But now, lo and behold!...here it comes on DVD.  Sombody tell me you don't believe this was a carefully arranged scenario from the start, please.  I have a bridge, in Johnny Karlen's old neighborhood, for sale. ::)

I am with you on this one I came so close to buying the whole set at the fest because they were only $6 a tape cheep enough but since I was low on funds I just got the revisited tape. Now I will be waiting for the DVD with the rest of you all. I hope they release it in a box set and not just one show per disk.

LdyAnne

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:02:04 PM »
If I recall correctly, victoriawinters originally asked MPI whether they intended to release the series on DVD. They weren't lying when they said no. MGM is doing the DVD release. I can't really blame MPI for wanting to unload their VHS copies before the DVDs hit the shelves rather than directing fans to a competitor for DVD copies. That sort of stuff only happens in Miracle on 34th Street;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:17:12 PM »
I don't feel so bad that I purchased the entire video set or received some of them as gifts.  The extended footage really added to the plot points and atsomphere of the series.  The DVD would have disappointed me with their omission.

Truthfully, Michael T. Weiss and Adrian Paul are just so hot that it doesn't matter what format they end up in. [62b2]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 09:28:39 PM »
Truthfully, Michael T. Weiss and Adrian Paul are just so hot that it doesn't matter what format they end up in.

About a month ago I wound up spending the night in the hospital emergency room.  The gurney was too short for me and there were no pillows available.   There was a personal TV available to pull up right to the gurney and I watched GLADIATOR and ROB ROY.  I can now attest that looking at Russell Crowe and Liam Neeson for an extended period of time had restorative powers for me!  ;D

Nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
Gee....isn't it a shame that people who were hoping for the '91 series to be released on DVD ran out and bought (about-to-become-obsolete) VHS copies, because word went out that the series wouldn't BE released on DVD.  But now, lo and behold!...here it comes on DVD.

Sombody tell me you don't believe this was a carefully arranged scenario from the start, please.  I have a bridge, in Johnny Karlen's old neighborhood, for sale.

Oh Rainey . . it is sad to see you so cynical. ::)

Nancy ;)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 09:44:26 PM »
what a mistake mgm is making in choosing not to release the extended versions. i thought that was the whole marketing strategy behind dvd releases was to have deleted scenes etc. however i see it as a good sign that it is being released by mgm. perhaps if sales are good it will prompt them to release hods and nods and maybe the 2004 pilot too. arent mgm and wb partners now?