Author Topic: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD  (Read 36269 times)

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2005, 06:16:08 AM »
I purchased the 91 DVD set just so I would have it, but the whole widescreen thing, for a TV series that was not originally shown in widescreen just escapes me.  There may be legitimate reasons for doing this as far as marketing goes, but while I have nothing against widescreen format, for films shot that was, the use of it with this release is just beyond me.  I just don't get the reason for doing it or what I don't get is the reason someone gave for thinknig this would be a good idea.

Richard Holt

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 04, 2005, 02:52:45 AM »
Interesting indepth review of the entire 1991 Dark Shadows series. Don't know where writer is getting his information from. He states that the WB executives thought the 2004 pilot was "too psychedelic"; that the Sci fi Channel may be interested in remaking DS like they did with Battlestar Galactica.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/darkshadowsrevival.php

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #197 on: November 04, 2005, 04:05:38 AM »
Interesting indepth review of the entire 1991 Dark Shadows series. Don't know where writer is getting his information from.
It doesn't help that he has a tendency to refer to actresses by their first names (Barbara, Lysette), but sticks to the standard convention of using last names when referring to actors (Cross, Weiss, etc.).

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 04, 2005, 04:59:05 PM »
It doesn't help that he has a tendency to refer to actresses by their first names (Barbara, Lysette), but sticks to the standard convention of using last names when referring to actors (Cross, Weiss, etc.).
???

"We were seeing poor Ben sweat, and it didn't quite cut it"

"...Steele had an icy resolve that was all business."

"Going was perfect, and I'm surprised she didn't rise..."

"Simmons is truly regal, and brings the Hollywood royalty aura with her..."

I think you may be jumping at "shadows"  ;)

P.S.
The reviewer also states that the Revival DVDs contain "additional footage in the series' premiere episode, and a couple of short scenes added to the finale."

Can anyone confirm this?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #199 on: November 04, 2005, 06:16:22 PM »
I think you may be jumping at "shadows"  ;)

I did miss the reference to Cross by first name.  ;)  So, it looks like he does it at least three times. Even if you don't want to look at it as gender-based, it's still piss poor writing to just toss in a first-name only reference whenever the mood hits you.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2005, 06:18:21 PM »
I can confirm that it absolutely does not; perhaps the reviewer got the super-secret special edition that nobody else can purchase.

;)

--M

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2005, 11:27:59 PM »
I can confirm that it absolutely does not; perhaps the reviewer got the super-secret special edition that nobody else can purchase.

That is all so true. Hard to imagine MGM spending another penny to impress the critics. lol I don't know if the writer has some information about the Sci fi Channel showing an interest in a new DS project. It could be based on old rumors although he alluded that it was ongoing. Perhaps with NBC now owning the channel, perhaps the Sci Fi Channel can now afford to pay for an expensive new DS series/mini-series.

Offline ksgemini

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique rules
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 06, 2005, 04:01:39 PM »
Beyond the murkiness and cropping has anyone noticed artifacts/blemishes..I just watched Ep 1 and just before Vicki looks at the picture of Josette there were bluish whitish marks that just flashed for split second...I dont think this is pixellation because I can always hear my DVD player start to "choke" or sound a little off when that happens This seemed like it was in the print.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2005, 07:33:49 PM »
Well, Netflix has it for rent, so if you have an account, you can get it from there are I did  and saved myself the money....I enjoyed watching it again, but was not worth buying it...

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2005, 08:25:55 PM »
I bought it on dvd. I don't regret the purchase, even though I dislike that it's in widescreen and that the dvd set is so bare bones with no added features. I just didn't feel like hunting down the VHS set, and was previously not all that interested in seeing the revival. I did enjoy some aspects of it though, with Joanna Going being first and foremost on the list.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2005, 09:59:50 PM »
Was surfing, and I saw this article.

I don't know if *perhaps it would be better in CE&A, with the AOL/buy TVshows.

http://www.calgarysun.com/cgi-bin/publish.cgi?p=111684&x=articles&s=hype

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2008, 02:13:10 AM »
Yes, damn straight I'd like to be burning MGM.  However, this is not the original.  The originalists don't care about the newer series.

That's probably true, but a huge amount of age 30 and under DS fans discovered DS through the 91 series. Whether the original series is better or not, is beside the point.

I would be in that age group.  I am so thankful DS was reimagined in the nineties or I doubt I would be here. :)  The widescreen and lack of extra footage is f**king annoying though!! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:28 PM »
I would be in that age group.

How old are you, Taeylor?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2008, 03:31:39 AM »
I am 30 and had just turned 13 (in October) when the 1991 series hit the airwaves! I am so glad too because I LOVED IT and it introduced me to the original which I love for different reasons and to fandom and all the amazing people I have met on this wonderful board!! MUAH to all!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/