Author Topic: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD  (Read 36277 times)

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Series To Be Released On DVD
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2005, 02:47:32 PM »
Has any one seen a single promotion for this release from MGM/Sony in any magazine/publication?

I haven't seen anything either. But then they obviously didn't put any effort into creating a decent DVD, so not promoting it doesn't surprise me.

It just seems MGM and Sony are almost embarrassed by this release.

And well they should be! Everything single thing about this DVD release reeks! It's pretty evident that not a lot of care went into anything related to this release. The art department spent 20 seconds on the artwork, which is just plain ugly. They didn't even have the decency to use the correct DS logo, instead using one of the REJECTED logos. As for the content of the DVDs themselves, well, not only are the episodes NOT the uncut/expanded versions, but they even decided to cut more of the show by cutting the top and bottom of the picture to create a FAKE and WORTHLESS "Widescreen" print that no consumer (let alone fan of the series) wants. Also there isn't a single extra, not even the TV commercials on it. The only thing that could've made this a bigger disaster is if they decided to replace some of the original music with generic elevator music like some DVD releases.

MGM and Sony should definitely be embarrassed by this release. It totally reeks and isn't worth a dime!

The strange thing is that MGM recently released a GREAT set of classic Hammer Horror films in great looking packaging with all films presented in their original aspect ratio and at an ultra-cheap price. They obviously knew that there was a fan base for these films and cared enough to do it right. Too bad they didn't give a rat's ass about the DS fans. :(

Dan

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2005, 09:12:45 PM »
The strange thing is that MGM recently released a GREAT set of classic Hammer Horror films in great looking packaging with all films presented in their original aspect ratio and at an ultra-cheap price.

Actually, that was released by Universal.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2005, 03:20:49 AM »
My goodness, so much negativity about the "widescreen" presentation of the '91 DS series when no one has even seen it!

There once was a TV show called SOAP that was attacked by the conservative religious element as an assault on Christianity and a jeopardy to the moral fabirc of this great country--BEFORE THE SHOW EVER AIRED--all because of the homosexual character played by Billy Crystal.

My point is--let's not pass judgement until we see the DS widescreen version.  Most likely, the aspect ratio will only be 1.66:1, as opposed to the normal TV ratio of 1.33:1.  Frankly, to the average eye, there isn't much difference.  Now, if MGM uses an aspect ratio of 1.85:1 or 2.35:1, then we might have some issues to discuss.  Further:  Sony/MGM did not have to release this at all!  So let's give them credit for at least acknowledging the franchise.  (WB, are you paying attention?)

BTW, my Amazon copy was shipped today--I'll look for it on Friday.  Meanwhile, my VHS copies are still here and I'll transfer the unaired footage to DVD for supplemental use.

Brian

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2005, 12:47:06 PM »
The strange thing is that MGM recently released a GREAT set of classic Hammer Horror films in great looking packaging with all films presented in their original aspect ratio and at an ultra-cheap price.
Actually, that was released by Universal.

Oops. You're absolutely right. So much for that. No points for MGM at all then. ;)

My point is--let's not pass judgement until we see the DS widescreen version.  Most likely, the aspect ratio will only be 1.66:1, as opposed to the normal TV ratio of 1.33:1.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but regardless of what the aspect ratio is, whether it's 1.66:1 or 1:85:1 it doesn't make any difference. The fact that the image was trimmed at all FOR NO REASON is enough to make me hate this release.

Further:  Sony/MGM did not have to release this at all!  So let's give them credit for at least acknowledging the franchise.  (WB, are you paying attention?)

You're definitely more generous than I am. Giving someone credit for releasing a bare bones and butchered product is beyond me. And frankly, I wish they hadn't released it at all. Because as long as it hadn't been released, there was always a chance and a hope that a great release, comparable (if not superior), to the MPI video release would come our way. MGM's crappy bare bones release puts an end to that. It's a shame that MPI couldn't have gotten off their butts and released their version on DVD a couple of years ago instead of saying that they'd release the series after releasing the entire run of the original series on DVD.

Dan

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2005, 05:53:27 PM »
The MGM set is presented at 1.78. That's the standard 16:9 HD aspect ratio.

The opening titles are presented windowboxed, so at least that's okay, but its an reminder that the show you're watching is not being presented correctly.

1.66 is a theatrical ratio and very few video releases are put out in 1.66 anamorphic. It's why the WB Hammer films are presented at 1.78/1.85. WB doesn't support anamorphic 1.66.
1.66 anamorphic discs have a tiny sliver of black pillarbars on the left and right sides of the frame, though, TBH, due to the overscan on 99% of TVs, you wouldn't see the black bars anyway. It's a subject of much heated debate on the home theater community...

I don't think anybody's jumping the gun here on their reactions. If the original DS was presented in artificial widescreen, fans would be burning MPI to the ground.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2005, 06:53:57 PM »
Could someone tell me why MGM/Sony is releasing the 1991 DS instead of MPI? Did MPI own the rights and sell them, or did they only have the rights to release it on VHS?

I agree that if the show comes out on DVD and sells badly it isn't going to be redone correctly. If it sell respectably, some time in the future someone might decide to release a better version. Why did they have to do it wrong the first time.

Whoever is working in their art department should be fired for the awful piece of crap they created for the cover.

I'm also afraid that if this DVD does badly it will hurt the chances of a new show being made.

Misa [hall2_cry]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2005, 07:41:43 PM »
MGM has always owned the series. MPI licensed the video rights from them to release it on VHS in the early 90's.

MPIs license agreement expired a few years ago and they've been offloading their VHS overstock ever since.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2005, 08:20:08 PM »
I don't think anybody's jumping the gun here on their reactions. If the original DS was presented in artificial widescreen, fans would be burning MPI to the ground.

Yes, damn straight I'd like to be burning MGM.  However, this is not the original.  The originalists don't care about the newer series.  As far as they are concerned, it's a non-issue for them.  But, they don't realize that when the newer performs poorly the original doesn't get much notice.  Business equates them in the same category as all bad money loosers.  It does warrant some good outcry from the fans for this reason whether they like the newer or not.

Had the 2004 WB Pilot been a successful TV Show, the older one might have made a come back from the closet.  Perhaps, have even sparked an interest in restoring the movies.  But, alas. 

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2005, 08:21:39 PM »
I don't know a damned thing about the technology by which old TV shows are reproduced, but I would like to make a comment.

I am one of the group Gothick so delightfully refers to as the "Ancient Blood"....the kids who ran home after school to watch the original show.  I remember the terrible anguish of getting home late and missing even the fewest of minutes of that day's show.  Once we missed it, it was gone....no way to get it back.  The idea of it being re-run at some later date was unimagined.  We just got over it, and made damn sure we ran faster the next day.

The fact that DS, in any of its incarnations, is available to us, in a succession of formats, is a miracle, pure and simple.   Yes, it would be nice to have it all, in a perfect and pristine and original state....... but it seems to me to be more than a bit ungrateful to keep bemoaning the lack of perfection, when we could be discussing the show entirely from our ever more faulty memories....and nothing else.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2005, 09:08:52 PM »
Yes, damn straight I'd like to be burning MGM.  However, this is not the original.  The originalists don't care about the newer series. 

That's probably true, but a huge amount of age 30 and under DS fans discovered DS through the 91 series. Whether the original series is better or not, is beside the point.

To a significant amount of people (and I'm imagining these will be the people who will form the core audience for this MGM release), the 91 series is all they know of DS, and it's a shame its being presented in such a compromised way.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2005, 04:18:49 AM »
Folks, come on, let offer more positive reflections on the MGM 91 release.  6 months ago, I left the Median Domain ONE LIFE TO LIVE board ONCE AND FOR ALL because of the horrible, destructive and personally insulting posters who attacked not only the writers and producers, but the actors as well.  That site had many sad, unhappy and vindictive people posting.  Let's not see that here at the DS forum.  DS fans are and have always been nice, positive, supportive folks.  Let's keep that attitude here on the board.

Brian

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2005, 04:48:50 AM »
I think we still are nice supportive folks, but we don't like MGM treating us badly. Which they are by producing an inferior product. They could have given us a nicely packaged 1991 DS with extras, and not cut even a microscopic piece of the frame off. But instead they are releasing the show with the top and bottom cut off, a piece of awful artwork on the cover and no EXTRAs. sob! WHY? Oh why? If they had given us the best they could it would have sold better, and possibly interested new people in the original show.

Gerr [hall_angry]

Misa

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »
Folks, come on, let offer more positive reflections on the MGM 91 release.

Hmmm... Like what? You must've read Darren's post stating that the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 and not 1.66:1 as you had hoped, so that means that a full 25% of the image has been trimmed. There are no extra scenes like in the MPI video releases, no extras whatsoever, and the packaging is ugly. I don't see anything positive about this DVD release.

6 months ago, I left the Median Domain ONE LIFE TO LIVE board ONCE AND FOR ALL because of the horrible, destructive and personally insulting posters who attacked not only the writers and producers, but the actors as well.  That site had many sad, unhappy and vindictive people posting.  Let's not see that here at the DS forum.  DS fans are and have always been nice, positive, supportive folks.  Let's keep that attitude here on the board.

I appreciate the sentiment and I agree with you, but I don't think being critical about a billion dollar corporation like MGM/SONY for chosing to release the most inferior/cheaply produced bare bones product they can is the same as insulting posters, actors, writers and producers. The fact of the matter is that MGM didn't care about the fans of this show or for that matter the producers of the series who were opposed to them creating a faux widescreen print and ruining the integrity of the framing, etc...

And it's mind boggling to think that this is what MGM chose to release when a relatively small company like MPI could (and did) release a version that is infinitely better: complete image intact, extra footage added by MPI (including getting actress Joanna Going to do a NEW voice-over for episode 3), and a full 60 minute retrospective/documentary which is a great "extra".

MGM deserves no praise whatsoever for this DVD release but they most definitely deserve our disapointment and anger.

Dan

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2005, 12:54:04 AM »
Hornet, I totally agree.  Brian, I get where you are coming from, but this is the most civilized messge board I've ever visited... I don't think anyone is mean-spirited about this subject, I think we are just looking out for ourselves as consumers and fans.   [hall2_wink]

The big question now is:  Has anyone been able to actually obtain a copy of the set yet?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2005, 01:43:29 AM »
Just got word that mine shipped today. Got mixed feelings about it, as I'm happy to have the set on DVD... utterly peeved that it's such an inferior product. Grrr.