Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87506 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I don't remember having any real sense of what Barn had done FOR Jeff in my viewings of hoDS over the years.  What I do remember is that I figured that part of the story out thanks to the Dan Ross book.

Evidently there was another earlier scene involving Jeff and Barnabas which hasn't survived in ANY existing recension of the screenplay.  Jeff mentions that the two had already met when they're introduced to one another at the Ball.

Researchers have attributed Roger Davis's abrupt departure from the daytime series to all the material he had in the movie that was cut. Reportedly, Davis tossed his head, cocked his chin, snapped at Dan:  "Well, if that's the way you feel about me... GOODBYE."  And, as the saying goes today, flounced dramatically from the room, to a scattering of applause, while a certain ingenue blew kisses. 

G.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Cool story, Gothick. Though I wonder who got the last laugh. Roger's stint in HODS is one of his final jobs as a leading man. His post DS career soon settled into unsold pilots, a short lived series and a bunch of undistinguished guest shots.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh, but RD had a very busy career as a voiceover artist, didn't he?

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Yes, the voiceover work continued for quite some time. The on camera stuff tapered off.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And though it's not related to acting per se (well, unless he used acting techniques on his clients to seal the deals), who could forget RD's real estate career? Though it was next to impossible for any Fest attendees to forget because we were consistently being handed T shirts each year. And some attendees are probably still having nightmares over those promo videos...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

191    EXT:  GREENHOUSE - COLLINWOOD GROUNDS - DAY        191

A blanket is spread out on the grass in front of the
       greenhouse.  Maggie and Jeff, arm in arm, are slowly
       walking.  David can be seen playing in the greenhouse
       in b.g.

MAGGIE
                 You'd better get started.  You want
                 to be in Boston before dark, don't
                 you?

JEFF
                      (looking at watch)
                 I still can't believe this is
                 happening.

And that's when Thursday's first quote -

Page 85/Scene 191 - Maggie: 'Barnabas thinks you're very talented.'

- comes up, followed by Thursday's second quote -

Page 85/Scene 191 - Jeff: 'I guess he must -- to recommend me to the Evanston Gallery.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene also ended up on the cutting room floor. But then, why would anyone watching the film be the slightest bit curious what Barnabas had done for Jeff. The audience is simply watching and waiting for the next blood, gore and violence sequence, right? And the audience is getting antsy because there hasn't been anything since Carolyn's staking - just stupid music box scenes between Barnabas and Julia, and Barnabas and Maggie. And who cares if Willie is worried about Maggie or not? Let's get to it!! Well, at least that's the way DC was probably thinking...

But getting back to the script, there's additional dialogue added in the margin of the page for this section of the scene, but I'm going to hold off sharing that until next time because it's going to take quite a while to format it and I don't have the time to do that right now...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
When I saw the movie in the theater, I remember being puzzled about what suddenly happened to Jeff.  The scene with Barnabas telling Willie he did something "for" him was all that was mentioned and then he was gone until returning for the climactic blood bath.  It wasn't until I read the novelization that it all made sense.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here's the way this part of the scene appears in DC's script:

191    EXT:  GREENHOUSE - COLLINWOOD GROUNDS - DAY        191

A blanket is spread out on the grass in front of the
       greenhouse.  Maggie and Jeff, arm in arm, are slowly
       walking.  David can be seen playing in the greenhouse
       in b.g.
                 |you?                               | I know it's
                 \______________________________/ a great break
                             JEFF
                      (looking at watch)              But I still
                 I still can't believe this is        don't fell right
                 happening.                           about leaving
                                                      you
                             MAGGIE                        MAG
                 Barnabas thinks you're very talented. Don't worry
                                                  It'll be fine  anyway
                             JEFF                     you'll only be
                 I guess he must to recommend me
                 to the Evanston Gallery.           gone for few days

Presumably the added dialogue was intended to replace Maggie's first lines. And as we'll see as the scene progresses, there's actually several places where DC has dialogue changes in the scene. Seems almost like a waste of their time when the scene doesn't even make it to the film...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm intrigued by the thought of a world where Jeff Clark is an up and coming young artist. And vampire Barnabas Collins, who at this point has barely been out of his coffin six weeks if that, is somehow in a position to "recommend" an unknown artist to a prestigious gallery.  I suppose he could have done it if he had made a trip to the gallery, dropped a huge amount of money on a few pictures, and then told the amazed owner that he knew of a young painter who was going to be "hot."  I'm still having trouble envisioning this.

I'm quite sure however that you are bang on the mark in your scenario regarding the great director's thought process in chopping this scene.  I've wondered how long the cut he originally delivered to MGM was.  My impression is that material such as the current scene wasn't even in the original delivered edit, but doubtful we will ever know for sure...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 191:

191    CONTD                                        CONTD 191

They walk along a bit.  Jeff senses a change in her
       mood.  She is very somber.

And that's when Friday's quote -

Page 86/Scene 191 - Jeff: 'Hey, what's the matter. Be happy.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

they stop           

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 86/Scene 191 - Maggie: 'I can't be Jeff -- remembering Carolyn.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

JEFF
                 Don't.

He pulls her to him.  They look at each other and kiss.

I'm sure that wasn't the intent (at least one would hope not), but it almost seems like Jeff is telling Maggie to forget all about Carolyn.  [hall2_rolleyes]

But anyway, once again when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor. But one moment from this portion of the scene that we can see, at least in still version, and a very rare still at that, is Jeff and Maggie kissing:

To my knowledge that still has only been published once and it was in an article on the film that was done by the daytime magazine TV BY DAY (the article actually contains several photos that have never been published elsewhere)...

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Maybe Barnabas made a field trip into Boston while he was still in vampire mode and enslaved TPTB, just exerting enough influence to bend them to his will. We don't see any of Jeff's work to be able to juggle his artistic merit but if he were indeed that talented, wouldn't Roger or Elizabeth have already recommended him?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
That still is an amazing find, MB.  Maybe that was the day when as KLS was riding home, she was writing in her diary about all the pastry she was going to start eating because DC had said he thought she and Davis had great chem together and he was going to put them together on the show again...

Uncle Roger, LOLOL!

Best, G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm afraid I almost literally laughed out loud when I read today's script excerpt.  First I imagined Roger delivering the line while literally fondling his own hair.  Then I wondered about the appropriateness of a grown man "rumpling" a fourteen year old's hair.

An interesting moment... well, that's one way to describe it... in our journey through this beleaguered screenplay.

Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 191 with what happens after Jeff and Maggie kiss:

As they do they hear the SOUND OF GLASS SHATTERING in
the greenhouse.  Maggie looks O.S.

And that's when yesterday's first quote -

Page 86/Scene 191 - Maggie (calling): 'David, please!! I’ve told you it’s dangerous in there! Now stop playing and come out.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

David comes out.                                     

And that's when yesterday's second quote -

Page 86/Scene 191 - David: 'I wasn’t playing, I was practicing my throwing arm..'

- comes up, though when it comes to the script, this section actually looks like this:

Mag   
                             MAGGIE                  David are you
                      (calling) they come in              all right
                 David, please!!  I've told you         David   
                 it's dangerous in there!  Now stop Hey Maggie come on
                 playing and come out.               in for a minute
                                                      I want to show
       David comes out.                                 you something

DAVID
                 I wasn’t playing, I was practicing
                 my throwing arm.  Here look at
                 this  (shows him a bird nest)

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor. And because of that as well as the fact that this time around none of the originally scripted dialogue is put in a box, who knows if the added dialogue replaces anything or if it's additional to what's scripted? But at least once again I can share a still - and time it's of DC directing RD, KLS and DH inside the greenhouse:

And this is actually the only still I have ever seen of DH from Scene 191...

(And who knows what RD is holding - but it certainly doesn't look like a bird nest.  [ghost_nowink])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That still is an amazing find

An even rarer one will be showing up in the graphic for the 4th...

Maybe that was the day when as KLS was riding home, she was writing in her diary about all the pastry she was going to start eating because DC had said he thought she and Davis had great chem together and he was going to put them together on the show again...

Unfortunately, it's not that day. In fact, she writes very little about that day's shooting. Mostly she complains about having to wear a "silly, skimpy" dress. And I bet she really was freezing her buns off because they shot Scene 191 on March 27th. And to compound the situation, RD wore a jacket and DH wore a sweater in the scene - but she was only in the skimpy dress...