Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87707 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
It's such a weird scene, when Stokes visits the deserted Old House. I figured you would just skip over this brief sequence since, as you say, there is no dialogue. The way the film is cut, from what I recall, it seems as if only one day at most has passed, but the house has reverted to a grey ruin strewn with dead leaves and rubbish. At least, that was the impression I got from what I saw. I wondered if that scene was shot in advance of the scenes in the furnished house, around the same time as when they shot the scenes where Maggie is searching for David there, at the beginning of the movie.

I am sure you are having a very busy time and I understand if you're unable to do what you'd planned with posting about the remainder of the movie.  Wishing you and yours a very happy holiday season!

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Even when I saw the movie in the theater as a kid, I wondered about that, too.  At the most, only a few days passed when a scene occurred in the Old House and it was all spit and polish, ready for a photo-shoot for Better Homes and Gardens.  And then when Stokes arrives, it's nothing but dead foliage, broken furniture, dust and cobwebs.  Maybe Willie ran out of Windex.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I specifically chose today's capture to commemorate that extra's moment in the spotlight:

Can you just imagine what was going on in RD's mind when the extra upstaged him? But we all know what they say: payback's a bitch!!  That extra was standing in for every actor that RD had upstaged on the daytime series!!  [santa_wink]  [santa_grin]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It would be funny if the regular cast put him up to it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
A truly precious moment. I could make further rude comment but I'll restrain myself. 

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It really is a shame that VampStokes was destroyed by Jeff -

- because can't you just imagine what a formidable and amazingly cunning adversary Stokes might have been if they had done a direct sequel to hoDS?! And given that it's implied (with Barnabas' body disappearing and a bat flying away) that Barnabas wasn't really destroyed, just imagine the storyline possibilities. Would Barn and Stokes have joined forces? Would they have been enemies? Would Stokes have come around to the idea that vampirism is quite possibly a disease and want to be cured? Though he seemed to have been having a great time while he was attempting to attack Jeff (and did that fact tell us something about Stokes that we never knew?). The possibilities could have been myriad. But alas...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
It's interesting that you posted about this (great shots, btw, though I definitely think the DVD/BD grading of this scene is too dark for my taste). Because I was just reflecting looking at today's slideshow how the whole plot point of Stokes becoming a vampire was completely wasted by DC in his rush to hustle towards the bloody finale of the story.

One thing I'll never understand is why DC didn't make sure the edit of Stokes' demise wasn't corrected so that we couldn't see him twitch when he was lying "dead" in that very cold water.  Detail oriented much, Dan?  That shot goes on for far too long in any event.

I'd have traded the sequence of Roger's vampire death, which is really just adding an irrelevant shock to a part of the movie that's already loaded down with gore moments, for a scene where Stokes was musing about the beauty and terror of having found a new existence as one of the Living Dead. But, again, alas...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I remember reading, probably in one of the PomPress books, that DC did reshoots of Jeff and Stokes' fight. It didn't say what was reshot or why, but knowing DC, it was probably because the original footage wasn't violent and bloody enough.  [santa_rolleyes]

Unfortunately, what's scripted to take place between VampRoger and Jeff is somewhat more interesting than how it plays in the film. Perhaps they were running out of time on the day the scene was shot. Or perhaps DC simply decided he didn't want to do it for as long as it's scripted. Who knows? But Roger/Louis got short shifted in a lot of scenes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention that there's actually a blooper in the scene with Roger and Jeff - something I never noticed until doing this slideshow. Has anyone else ever noticed it?

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If you're thinking about a mirror, MB, I have a theory that makes it not a blooper.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What I'm speaking about does involve a reflection - but it may not be in the way you might be thinking...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Were the original vampire attacks on Eliot and Roger ever scripted to be shown on screen? It's generally assumed that Barnabas attacked both of them. But one particularly interesting piece of fan fiction stated it was Carolyn who turned them. Todd had removed the stake and she picked up where she left off, though more discreetly. She went after Eliot as revenge and Roger for not doing anything to hold Stokes back.
The idea of Eliot as a vampire is extremely interesting. Far more intelligent than the other vampires, he would certainly have made an extremely cunning and resourceful vampire. Perhaps with Todd as his lackey, mirroring the Count Petofi/Aristede relationship.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Uncle Roger, I'd never heard that theory about Carolyn coming back and disposing of Stokes and Rogers. What you describe sounds far more fascinating than anything shown in the last 15 minutes of the movie as completed.

I missed the additional notes about the encounter between Jeff and Roger in his "new un-life." 

Best, G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Gothick, the story is called Told At Twilight and was written by Megan Powell-Nivling. It appeared in The World of Dark Shadows issue #35, which was an all Nancy Barrett issue. It is definitely one of the more satisfying post HODS stories that I've read. It ends with Carolyn and Todd married and residing in California. Todd eventually became a mortician which kept Carolyn supplied with blood. She found that she preferred cold blood to warm and never attacked anyone again. For Dark Shadows, that is a happy ending.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thanks, Uncle Roger.  I have a really old TWODS issue that has a drawing of Nancy as vampire Carolyn on the cover but not sure just where it is...

Excitement builds as my personal favorite moment of the final reel of hoDS nears the slide show.  I thought yesterday's first capture where Jeff looked like he'd had one too many Vodka Collins at the annual staff holiday party and Willie was looking at him all like "Is this bitch for real?" was a hoot. Excellent work MB!

Happy Holidays all!

G.