Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88008 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just in case anyone is wondering why there's a NoDS capture with today's hoDS quote, it's because at the moment I'm experiencing some computer issues and I'm unable to get new hoDS captures. But I'm working on it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Today's capture is finally up, so if you're still seeing the NoDS capture, you need to clear your browser's cache.  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now yesterday's scene in the slideshow and one other:

Rev. 3/25/70
60     INT BEDROOM - NIGHT

Maggie gasps as she hears the CLICK OF THE KEY BEING
       TURNED IN THE LOCK.  The door starts to open.
       She stares at it in horror, beginning to back away.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 19/Scene 60 - Jeff's Voice (O.S.) (from downstairs): 'Maggie! Where are you?'

- comes up, followed in the script by this notation from DC:

INT. HALL - NIGHT

After which is when yesterday's second quote -

Page 19/Scene 60 - Maggie (A scream): 'Jeff!'

- is scripted to come up, followed in the script by:

61     INT - CORRIDOR - NIGHT

The booted feet as they run down the hall from the
       door.  The CAMERA FOLLOWS them in the opposite
       direction from which they have come.

And as far as any differences in the dialogue, the directions, or the descriptions go, Maggie doesn't begin to back away form the door so much as she turns her back to the door (a stupid move if ever there was one) and sobs - and, as can be seen in yesterday's first capture, she sobs an unscripted -

"Oh, David."

- just before she hears Jeff simply call out "Maggie!", with the "Where are you?" part dropped - and then thing become quite different from scripted because things shift to Scene 61, but instead of seeing the booted feet as they run down the hall from the door with the camera following them in the opposite direction from which they've come, we see the figure quickly -

- dart away and out of sight - and then, as can be seen in yesterday's second capture -

- we see Maggie turn around as she calls out to Jeff.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And similar to what was the case previously, there's no need to share how things appear in the original draft because in this case things are written exactly the same in DC's script's versions of Scenes 60 and 61 as they are in the original draft.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now here's a chart with the available info regarding when Scenes 41 through 60 were scheduled to shoot on the original shooting schedule:

||||Day of||
Scs. #s:|Location:|Pages:|Description:|Shoot:|Date:|Cast:
======|=================|======|===========|=====|=======|========
41|Int. Old House (N)|2/8 Pg.|Maggie looks|18th|Wed. 4/15|MAGGIE
|||for David|||
_______|____________________|_______|_____________|______|________|__________
42|Int. Old House (N)|1/16 Pg.|Maggie walks|18th|Wed. 4/15|MAGGIE
|||up stairs|||Cat
43 - 44|Int. Old House|4/8 Pg.|Maggie looks|   ??? |   ???   ??? |MAGGIE
|Hallway (N)||for David|||
44A|Int. Old House|4/8 Pg.|David locks|   ??? |   ???   ??? |MAGGIE
|Bedroom (N)||Maggie in|||DAVID
52|Int. Old House|2/8 Pg.|Maggie hears|   ??? |   ???   ??? |MAGGIE
|Bedroom (N)||doors slam|||
53 - 54|Int. Hallway, Card|2/8 Pg.|David returns|6th|Mon. 3/30|CAROLYN
|Room & Stairs (N)|||||TODD
||||||DAVID
||||||ELIZABETH
55 - 59|Int. Old House|4/8 Pg.|Maggie hears|   ??? |   ???   ??? |MAGGIE
|Bedroom &||noises|||Barnabas
|Hallway (N)|||||Double
60|Int. Old House|2/8 Pg.|Maggie hears|   ??? |   ???   ??? |MAGGIE
|Bedroom &||Jeff call out|||JEFF
|Hallway (N)|||||Barnabas
||||||Double

You'll notice that Scenes 54A through 54D are not listed on the schedule and that may be because all the 54 scenes were considered as one.

You'll also notice that Scenes 43 through 44A, Scene 52, and Scenes 55 through 60 don't have a Day of Shoot or Date listed. And that's because, as KMR suspected -

Were the upstairs scenes in this sequence filmed at Lockwood-Mathews?  The architecture seems to fit with that house.

- those scenes were shot at the Lockwood Mathews Mansion but the copy of the original shooting schedule that I have ends with the 21st day of shooting, perhaps because the rest of the shoot hadn't been planned out yet. However, even though KLS' movie diary doesn't supply the actual dates of those scenes shooting, we do know they were shot near the end of April (along with the wedding finale material)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The reason why I haven't been posting anything here lately is because my beloved computer of the last 7 years died on me recently - and when I say died, not only did the motherboard die but so did the CPU - but they went out in a blaze of glory! And honestly, 7 years is the longest I've ever used the same computer. Normally, I've upgraded every 3 to 4 years if not even more frequently. But I was so satisfied with the way the computer worked that I never saw any need to upgrade. But alas, computers don't last forever...

But anyway, I'm currently using a friend's computer that he no longer needs because he upgraded about 6 months ago to a new computer. Eventually I will upgrade on my own, but I don't just walk into a store and buy off the shelf because I've yet to ever find an off the shelf computer that has all the features that I like to have, so I buy all the hardware separately and put everything together myself. I've started looking around for what I want, but apparently I'm not the only one who has wanted what I want because nearly everything that I want to buy is currently out of stock due to high demand. So, it looks like I may be using my friend's computer for longer than I would like. But hey, things could be much worse - I could have no computer to use while I wait to get exactly what I want. But on the other hand, I'm having a hard time getting this computer to do things that I totally took for granted with my sadly departed one, like play huge Blu-ray quality MKV files (that I created to get screen caps of the Blu-ray versions of the two original films because it's not possible to get captures directly from the Blu-ray discs). I can play them, but for reasons I haven't quite figured out yet, the video and sound are out of sync (which they never were when played on my computer) - and that makes it rather hard to get captures of short bits of dialogue that might be needed to explain what's different - and in particular what's different in Scene 62, which is next to come up after where we left off - which is why I've yet to pick up where we left off. But today I came up with a few different ideas to try to fix the problem, and hopefully one will work. If not, I'm not going to hold off posting here much longer because I don't want to fall too far behind. In the future I'll simply go back to whatever I post to add whatever I can't currently do...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Good luck getting it all worked out, MB!  Life happens...

Saluting, G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I *think* one of my ideas is actually going to work. It may not work perfectly, but so long as I can get captures from the short bits of dialogue that I need to use to explain what's different, it'll be all the success I need for now...

It's going to take more than eight hours for the computer to reencode a new hoDS file. and by the time that finishes I won't even be home because I have plans to go out tonight. But once I get home, one of the first things I'll be checking is to how see how the file turned out. preliminary tests went well, so I'm extremely hopefull...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally moving on to Scene 62 as it appears in DC's script:

62     INT - CORRIDOR - NIGHT

Maggie, hysterical, comes running from the
       room.  She is crying.

MAGGIE
                   David-

Jeff and Todd run in.  Maggie runs to
       Jeff's arms.

And that's when February 13th's quote -

Page 19/Scene 62 - Maggie: 'David...down the hall...I was so frightened. Why do I let him frighten me so...He opened the door---'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

JEFF
                 Who did?

MAGGIE
                 David- Todd go and get him.
                       he's in there

And that's when February 14th's quote -

Page 19/Scene 62 - Todd: 'Maggie, Jeff caught David sneaking into his room ten minutes ago.'

- comes up, though in the script it's like:

I     TODD
                                        Maggie, Jeff caught David sneaking
                                        into his room ten minutes ago. just a few minutes
                                                                        ago
                                                       MAGGIE
                              Maggie  She is shocked and horrified.

But even if we ignore the typos and other oddities that whoever typed the page brought in, we know that the scene doesn't play that way in the film because an hysterical Maggie does indeed run from the bedroom, however she calls out an unscripted -

"Jeff!"

- rather than calling out David's name - and Jeff calls an unscripted -

"Maggie."

- to which Maggie calls out another unscripted -

"Jeff!"

- and Jeff follows with another unscripted -

"Maggie."

- as she reaches him - and as we can see, Todd is not with Jeff (quite possibly because the shooting of Scene 62 took place subsequent to the taping of Ep #1001 of the daytime series, which was Don Briscoe's last ep before the incident that caused him to abruptly leave the daytime show, so it may have also caused him to be unavailable for the shooting of Scene 62 of the film) - and rather than delivering the 13th's quote, what Maggie actually says is -

"It's David. David. He locked me in there."

- to which Jeff replies with an unscripted -

"Come on, Maggie, calm down."

- and so then Maggie simply says -

"David."

- which Jeff questions with -

"David?"

- rather than the scripted "Who did?" - and Maggie explains -

"David. He locked me in there. He locked me in there.
He's in there, Jeff. He's in there."

- rather than what's scripted instructing Todd to get David or even what it was changed to in DC's script - and since there is no appearance of Todd in the scene, rather the 14th's quote, Jeff actually gets to say -

"Maggie, I just caught David sneaking into his room back
at Collinwood."

- to which an extremely confused Maggie replies with -

"Someone-- Someone was--"

- and then Jeff says -

"Now come on. Todd's downstairs looking for you."

- (which is an interesting nod to the original intent of Todd being a part of the scene) and Jeff begins to lead Maggie away as she repeats -

"Someone was--"

- and Jeff comforts her by saying -

"Take it easy."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And before we get into DC's script's version of Scene 63, here's the original draft's version of Jeff (and Todd) finding Maggie:

INT. STAIRWAY - OLD HOUSE - NIGHT

Jeff and Todd race up the stairs.

INT. CORRIDOR - NIGHT

Maggie, hysterical, crying, runs from the room.

MAGGIE
                 Jeff!

Jeff and Todd run in. Maggie runs to Jeff's arms.

JEFF
                 You're all right?

MAGGIE
                          (crying, incoherent)
                 David...he was outside the door.  He
                 wouldn't answer me.  He -- he ran
                 when he heard you.

Jeff and Todd look at each other.

JEFF
                 Maggie, David's been back at Collin-
                 wood for ten minutes.

MAGGIE

She is shocked, horrified.

It's quite interesting that in the original draft there is a scene of Jeff and Todd running upstairs. It's also interesting that Jeff's original line explaining David's whereabouts is given to Todd in DC's script's version but then goes back to Jeff in the film because of Todd's absence. But what's also quite interesting is that the intermediate version of the script that was used for the novelization version is identical to the original draft with both the stairway and corridor scenes but for one exception: Jeff's line is already given to Todd. But what's most interesting is that, unlike Scenes 45 through 51, which are indicated as having been deleted in DC's script, there's no such indication for the stairway scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now here's DC's script's version of Scene 63:

63     INT - JULIA'S ROOM COLLINWOOD - NIGHT

Sheriff examines Daphne's wound.  Julia adjusts the blood transfusion
       bottle.  Nurse watches.

And that's when February 15th's quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Sheriff: 'It almost looks like a human bite.'

- comes up, followed by February 16th first quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Julia: 'No human made those punctures, George.'

- coming up, followed by February 16th second quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Sheriff: 'Well, I don't know any animal that could do it either. Do you think she'll be all right?'

- coming up, followed by February 17th first quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Julia: 'I don't know. She's lost an enormous amount of blood.'

- coming up, followed by February 17th second quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Sheriff: 'How? All from this one wound.'

- coming up, followed by February 18th first quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Julia: 'I know. I don't understand it either. I'll move her to the hospital tomorrow for a central venous pressure test. That may tell us more.'

- coming up, followed by February 18th second quote -

Page 19A/Scene 63 - Julia (to nurse): 'I'll sleep in the next room tonight. If there's any change, wake me.'

- coming up.

Tomorrow we'll examine the few things that are different, make some observations, and get into not one but two previous versions of the scene...

But before all that I'll leave with a still that shows the opening of the scene from a totally different angle than the film uses:

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Now, wait--is "punctures" said in the final film?  I certainly wouldn't describe the wounds in this movie as "punctures"!!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And as for the differences in Scene 63 compared to DC's script's version: the Sheriff never examines Daphne's wound - in fact, he never goes near her during the entire scene - and we never see Julia adjust the blood transfusion bottle - nor do we ever really see the nurse except for brief glimpses that I'll point out below.

As for what we do see and hear: as can be seen in February 15th capture, the scene actually begins with a shot of Daphne though -

- a quatrefoil cusp opening of Julia's bed as Julia tends to Daphne's neck and the sheriff is actually heard to say "It almost looks like a human bite, doesn't it?" - and then as Julia shrugs as she moves away from the bed to the sheriff, as we can see in February 16th's first capture -

- she does indeed remark "No human made those punctures", but dropping addressing the sheriff as "George" - and as we can see in February 16th's second capture, Julia moves toward the mirror in her room (where we start to see reflections of the nurse) -

- while the sheriff continues to look toward Daphne as he actually remarks "Yes, well, I certainly don't know any animal who could have done it either", but then turns to Julia to ask "Do you think she'll be all right?" - and then, as we can see in February 17th's first capture, Julia has turned back and -

- she answers with "I don't know. She's lost an enormous amount of blood", exactly as scripted - and as we can see in February 17th's second capture, a puzzled sheriff actually asks -

- "But how? Just from that one wound?" - and after Julia nods in the affirmative, as we can see in February 18th's first capture, Julia actually responds with -

- "I know", and then pauses a bit before actually saying "I'll move her to the hospital tomorrow. They'll do a central venous pressure", with the "I don't understand it either" part and "test" dropped, and actually following that with "That'll tell us more" - and in the script, among the many weird things going on with the typing (way too many to actually get into here), "venous" is misspelled "venus" (and leave it to nurse extraordinaire Midnite to spot that [wink2]) - and then as we can see in February 18th's second capture, Julia moves back toward the bed -

- as she actually addresses the nurse with "Miss Shepherd. I'll stay in the room next door tonight. Wake me if there's any change" - and then both Julia and the sheriff move to leave the room.

And next up we'll get into the first of the two previous versions of the scene...