Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87662 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the next party scene:

103    MAGGIE - BARNABAS' POV                             103

as she enters the foyer from opposite end of the hall.
       She is dressed as JOSETTE DU PRES, the first Barnabas'
       great love.

And that when Monday's quote -

Page 38/Scene 103 - Barnabas (OS): 'Who -- who is that girl?'

- comes up.

End of very brief but important scene. However, things play slightly differently in the film because we see Maggie already in the foyer -

- and talking to someone ("John") - and Barnabas actually asks "Who is that girl?" with the "Who --" part dropped.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Those Lyndhurst behind the scenes photos are awesome!  Brilliant finds!

I've always thought they're a hoot.  [nodassent]

I would love to know who played "John"!

I checked IMDb because a lot of times they list uncredited actors. Unfortunately, though, he's not listed - nor are many of the other guests or the maid or the barman. I wonder if Darren might have any documentation on them? But as far as "John" goes, he gets quite a bit of screen time, including an, uh, memorable moment of him dancing during a montage. The sad thing is the way the party sequence is edited he gets more screen time than many of the principal actors.  [easter_rolleyes]  (Which might lead one to wonder if he was another of DC's man crushes?  [easter_undecided])

Clearly, that was before she realized her life's work was going to be serving as professional Queen of Dark Shadows!

Clearly!  [b003]

I wonder if copies of the hoDS novelization ever show up at less than extreme prices?

Whenever I've seen it offered, it's always been for a ridiculous price. Blame the photos insert...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with next party scene:

104    CAROLYN - JULIA - BARNABAS - TODD                  104

Carolyn and Julia turn to look.

And that when Tuesday's quote -

Page 38/Scene 104 - Julia (OS): 'Maggie Evans. She's David's governess. Have't you met her?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

Barnabas does not take his eyes from Maggie.  He shakes
       his head.

CAROLYN

And that when Wednesday's quote -

Page 38/Scene 104 - Carolyn: 'What a shame ...'

BARNABAS  PAN  TO  CLOSE  UP  BARN                       

Still staring at Maggie.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions, what Julia actually says to start off is "Oh, that's Maggie Evans" - and unlike how the script indicates it, as can be seen in Tuesday's capture, she delivers -

- all of her lines on screen, not off - and she delivers the rest of them exactly as scripted - and there's a notation in DC's script that Julia would start to move between saying the words "governess" and "Haven't", though move where is not indicated, and what actually happens in the film is that Julia simply turns -

- back to Barnabas - and from that things switch to 3 shot of Barnabas with Carolyn and Todd somewhat out of focus as -

- Barnabas nods no - and after Barnabas does so, as can be seen in Wednesday's capture, the camera actually racks focus from Barnabas -

- to Carolyn when she says it's a shame he hasn't met Maggie, and she says so in such a deliciously bitchy manner! But, unlike DC's added notation to his script, after that there is no pan to a close-up of Barnabas still staring at Maggie.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Oh yeah MB "John" has gotta be one of DC's crushes!--er, I mean, guys he liked to hang out with. LOL!

When I learned of his huge "admiration" for Roger Davis, it suddenly explained a lot.

Is John the guy seen doing the twist when the dance had gone out of fashion about five years before?

Nancy was so brilliant in this sequence.  I loved how they did her hair for it, too.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And setting up the beginning of the next scene:

105    MAGGIE - BARNABAS' POV                             105

She crosses from foyer into organ room bar.

And that when Thursday's first quote -

Page 38/Scene 105 - Julia (OS): 'This is her last night at Collinwood, isn't it.'

- comes up.

And we're going to leave it there for now because up to this point everything plays pretty much exactly as scripted - though party guest "John" is still -

- seen with Maggie as she moves off toward the organ room. The only new thing that's different is Julia adds a "Yes," before her scripted line. But after this point things in the film are altered from the way they appear in the script - including things crossed out in the script actually taking place in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up with Scene 105:

CLOSE UP - CAROLYN  PROFILE

She is aware that Barnabas is experiencing something 
       importa-t.

MAGGIE - WIDE ANGLE

She is at the bar.  Jeff joins her.

BARNABAS

And that when Thursday's second quote -

Page 38/Scene 105 - Barnabas: 'Let me get you some champagne, Carolyn.'

105.   (CONT'D)

Barnabas as he moves toward Maggie and Jeff at the bar.

JEFF
                            (to Barman)
                       Scotch and Soda and a dry
                       Rob Roy.

And that when Friday's quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Maggie: 'Quite a crowd. Doesn't everyone look great!'

- comes up, followed by Saturday's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Man (V.O.): 'Jeff!'

- coming up, followed by Saturday's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Jeff (as he sees his friend): 'Maggie, I'll be right back.'

- coming up.

And we're going to leave things there because there's quite a bit to get into because the film doesn't quite play like that. There is no close up in profile of Carolyn where the script combined with DC's notation indicates because there's simply a few seconds shot with the same camera set up as before with -

- Barnabas, Carolyn and Todd as Carolyn continues to stare at Barnabas and his gaze shifts to presumably spotting Maggie in the organ room (and speaking of that shot, the "Yes, this is her last night at" portion of Julia line is delivered over the shot of Maggie as she moves off toward the organ room, whereas the "Collinwood, isn't it" portion is delivered over the above shot) - and then, despite the fact of the portion of the script that says we would see Maggie at the bar and Jeff joining her being crossed out, something very similar does indeed appear in the film because things switch from Barnabas, Carolyn and Todd to Maggie entering the organ room, seeing Jeff in costume while another woman in the room watches them, and then Maggie blurts out an unscripted -

"Oh, Jeff!"

- (and l love how not only Barnabas is watching them from the drawing room, but -

- so is Julia) - and Jeff laughs as Mrs. Johnson appears -

- and moves towards the drawing room and the other woman begins to move toward the bench before Maggie moves to hug Jeff and remark an unscripted -

"Oh, you look great!"

- rather than what appeared in the slideshow as Friday's quote: "Quite a crowd. Doesn't everyone look great!" - and then "John" appears at the door to the organ room as Jeff asks Maggie and unscripted -

"Want a drink?"

- and soon after John comes into the organ room and -

- the other woman smiles at him and he soon moves toward her before Maggie answer Jeff with an unscripted -

"Yes."
-

and then things actually do go back to Barnabas, Carolyn and Todd in the drawing room as Barnabas turns to Carolyn and offers to get her a drink, though rather than champagne, he actually offers "Let me get you some punch, Carolyn" - and after he moves off is when we actually see Carolyn looking quite none too pleased as she -

- definitely knows something important is afoot with Barnabas. And yes, "important" is actually spelled as "importa-t" in the script.

And even though there's more to get into when comes to the part of the script that I've shared, I'm going to hold off and do what's left in another post so as to give everyone a chance to absorb what's covered in this post before embarking on even more changes and unscripted additions in the remainder...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up with the next section of Scene 105, we do indeed see Barnabas in the backgroud as he makes his way into the organ room as Jeff places his order with the barman, however, the order is not the same as scripted because what Jeff actually says is -

"All right, one punch and nothing for me."

- (apparently a dry Rob Roy may not be Jeff's drink of choice) and I do love how Barnabas comes to a stop and -

- carefully waits for an opportunity (and this time around not only is Julia watching from the drawing room, but, naturally, so is Carolyn) - and apparently since Maggie had already complimented Jeff in the earlier unscripted section, she doesn't get to say "Quite a crowd. Doesn't everyone look great!" at all as that's dropped completely - and then, again unlike the script, instead of it being a man's voice calling out to Jeff, it's the other woman in the room who is then heard to say an unscripted -

"Jeff, I'd like you to meet John."

- as Maggie and Jeff turn to look behind them and Jeff presumably sees the woman who's actually his friend - and then Maggie and Jeff turn back to each other as Jeff actually says -

"Excuse me a second."

- rather than the scripted "Maggie, I'll be right back" as "John" looks over behind them - and Maggie quickly responds with an unscripted -

"Okay."

- as Jeff turns to go over to the man and woman behind them.

And that brings us up to all the changes and additions to the part of the script that I'd posted earlier. But if you think those are all the changes and additions to Scene 105, don't fool yourself because there's more to come next time...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow. Nancy conveys more with just her facial expressions than any dialogue ever could.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 105, beginning with Jeff's action after he excuses himself to Maggie:

He exits as Barnabas comes up to Maggie.

CAROLYN

as she reacts with a definite burn.  During the following
       INTERCUT HER REACTIONS.

BARNABAS - MAGGIE

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Barnabas: 'I beg your pardon. I am Barnabas Collins.'

MAGGIE
        Oh, Mr. Collins, how nice.

And in the script Barnabas and Maggie's conversation continues from there - but as we'll see shortly, DC had other ideas.

And when it comes to the differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions, after Barnabas comes up to Maggie, we do not see Carolyn as she reacts with a definite burn and during Barnabas and Maggie's upcoming conversation there are no intercuts with her reactions - though there will be something with Carolyn coming up. The moment Jeff moves to the people who called him, as we can see in yesterday's capture, Barnabas swoops in -

- and delivers yesterday's quote, though he actually delivers it as "I beg your pardon, I'm Barnabas Collins" - and Maggie actually replies with "Hello, Mr. Collins" - but from there things switch to the drawing room with Todd and Carolyn, with her looking decidedly anxious if not actually frightened by what's transpiring between Barnabas and Maggie, and with him pointedly asking her an unscripted -

"What's wrong with you tonight?"

- but her only answer is to turn to him -

- and then turn to walk away from him -

- once again leaving poor Todd -

-even more confused.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow. Nancy conveys more with just her facial expressions than any dialogue ever could.

Especially when it comes to her reactions to Todd in this scene. You can pretty much feel the temperature drop 30 degrees in the room.  [easter_wink]

[spoiler]And it's sad to think that the above exchange is apparently their last interaction before her death. What must have he been thinking while he mourned her and through the funeral? Though little did he know that a huge "surprise" would be coming for him after her funeral...[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I don't think Carolyn looks anxious or frightened.  Just jealous as hell.

Nancy is a brilliant actress and deserved more opportunities in her career.  Grayson said more than once that she thought Nancy was the best actress, bar none, in the group.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't think Carolyn looks anxious or frightened.  Just jealous as hell.

She definitely looks jealous as hell in the captures in replies 287 and 290 - but I can see anxiety in her first capture for 293.

Nancy is a brilliant actress and deserved more opportunities in her career.  Grayson said more than once that she thought Nancy was the best actress, bar none, in the group.

(Nancy has always said she was just too "lazy" to pursue more work than she did. Sad for those of us who are her fans. But if she was happy, I suppose that's all that's important.

Other than a lot of theater, did she do anything after appearing in the film Belizaire the Cajun? Being a film, more people would have been able to see that. And I was lucky enough to get to record it when it was aired on PBS. Although I think there's a special anniversary DVD edition available now...)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently that was her last screen appearance. Her last soap role was Debra Van Dryden on OLTL in 1982. She's done theatre intermittently as well as her cabaret act. And she did reprise Carolyn with the Collinsport Players in Tarrytown last summer.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving through more of Scene 105, beginning with yesterday's quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Barnabas: 'Your dress -- you must have found it here.'

- coming up, followed by today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Maggie: 'In an old trunk upstairs. It was made in Paris.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to yesterday's quote, Barnabas delivers it exactly as scripted, but it can't go without saying how wonderfully DC directorial style captured Barnabas delivering it -

- as well everyone else in the scene in those moments.  (Yeah, right!  [easter_rolleyes])  And when it comes to Maggie's quote for today, what she actually says is "Yes, I did. I found it in an old trunk in the attic. It was made in Paris, I think." I wonder if they decided to adjust her lines or KLS decided to pad them on her own?  [easter_cheesy]  But either way she does look beautiful in today's capture -

- so it's easy to understand how Barnabas could become mesmerized by her...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Beginning the wrap up of Scene 105, starting with today's quote, Barnabas' story about Maggie's dress -

Page 39/Scene 105 - Barnabas: 'Yes -- and if I'm right, it belonged to Josette Du Pres who came here to marry my ancestor over one hundred years ago.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

^
              | CU
              |
              |
       They look at each other.
              |      INTERCUT   -   W  MAG
              |                                        CONTINUED
              |
              |____

REV. - 3/13/70

105.  (CONT'D)    |  CU Barn
                  |
                  |            BARNABAS
                  |   There's a portrait of her at the
                  |   Old House wearing that dress.  You
                  |   look very much like her.
                  |___

End of scene - though certainly not end of sequence.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions, as we can see in today's capture -

- Barnabas is shot more over the shoulder than in a single close-up when he tells Maggie about her dress (and he changes the end of his lines to "marry my ancestor almost 200 years ago"), and he's seen on camera for the entirety of his delivery, so there isn't any intercutting with Maggie there - but what is cut in is a shot of Jeff becoming aware of their conversation as he and -

- "John" look over - and Barnabas is shot the same way as he tells -

- Maggie about the portrait, but before he tells her she looks like it, Maggie actually comments with an unscripted -

"I've never seen it."

- as we see Jeff moving in the background, and then as Jeff's moves to the barman's table -

- and retrieve's Maggie's drink -

- is when we hear Barnabas in voice over say that Maggie looks very much like Josette. So not only aren't there any true close-ups of Barnabas, he's actually intercut with both Maggie and Jeff. And even though it was never specifically indicated, it's easy to tell from the way it was typed that the 3/13/70 revision actually began with Page 39 of the script (we're ending Scene 105 on Page 39A).