Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88132 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is so much fun seeing all these different ads for the movie. Thanks for posting them, MB! I can't believe how cheesy some were--especially that one with Carolyn's mouth open and Barnabas' face inside.  [hall2_rolleyes]

The montage of the cast in front of Lyndhurst as seen on the cover of the Ross novel is the same image from the primary one sheet poster design. (I actually have a three sheet version--which despite the name is really in two pieces--that I've yet to display anywhere. That sucker is 6 feet tall!)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally getting back to conclude Scene 188:

After Barnabas recovers from having to, shall we say, strongly persuade Willie to leave the room, he delivers the line that's added to DC's script -

"Maggie, I have something for you."

- and he gets up as she wonders -

- what he's talking about - and after going to a table and picking up the music box -

- and turning to look in Maggie's direction in -

- anticipation, Barnabas brings the music box to Maggie and says -

"I want you to have this."

- exactly as scripted - but, as the camera begins a slow truck in on them, Maggie actually reacts by simply saying -

"Oh, Barnabas, it's beautiful."

- without asking what it is or Barnabas telling her to open it to see because, given that both are crossed out in the script, they're dropped from the scene - so what does actually happen after Maggie's remark is that, as she opens the music box and it plays, Barnabas delivers September 17th's quote by explaining -

"It belonged to Josette Du Pres. It was given to her by my
namesake -- just before she died."

- but after being surprised and -

- touched by that info, Maggie doesn't protest with "Barnabas, it's a very thoughtful thing for you to do -- but I would think you would want to keep it", as she does in the script because that's all dropped - and Barnabas doesn't bring up the Josette's portrait because he already has earlier in the scene -  so, instead, things jump to the end of the scene as scripted and Maggie turns to the music box and gratefully says -

"I'll always treasure it."

- with the "Barnabas" dropped.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now let's see how the novelzation of Scene 188 is somewhat different:

But it was not Julia he was thinking of in regard to the
lovely old music box, it was Maggie Evans. And a few
nights later he invited the pretty governess to dinner at
the old house. He'd found out that Julia had to attend a
meeting in the village, which meant she would leave as
soon as she'd given him his injection. So he decided it
would be the ideal occasion to have Maggie over.
  The reason he offered for having the dinner party was
to celebrate the completion of the restoration of the
dining room in the old house. And considering the mag-
nificent work done, this would have been a good enough
excuse. But his true motive to having Maggie to dinner
was to be with her again and to make her a present of
the music box.
  They sat down to celebrate dinner at nine. Barnabas
had spared no pains in having it prepared. Two candles
burned on the table. And when they finished the ecellent
meal they lingered at the table sipping champagne. Barn-
abas gazed at Maggie adoringly. And her smile for him
was warm. Willie, the servant, entered the room sound-
lessly and stood watching them in obvious concern for
a moment before he was noticed.
  Then Barnabas turned to him. "What is it, Willie?"
  Looking uncomfortable, Willie said, "I just wondered
if you wanted anything else?"
  "More champagne," Barnabas ordered.
  Maggie spoke up quickly, "Oh, no, Barnabas. Not for
me. I must get back to Collinwood. I want to be ready
for David's exams tomorrow."
  Barnabas smiled. "You're sure?"
  "Quite sure."
  "Very well,"Barnabas said. "That will be all, Willie."
  "Yes, sir," Willie said heavily and went out.
  Barnabas rose and crossed to the mantle where he'd
put the music box. Offering it to Maggie, he said, "I want
you to have this."
  Her eyes widened with delight. "It's very beautiful,
Barnabas. What is it?"
  He smiled. "Open it and see."
  She did and it began to play. She listened to its thin,
clear tune and looked up at him. "How lovely."
  He nodded. "It belonged to Josette Du Pres. It was
given to her by my namesake, just before she died."
  Maggie was touched. She caressed the music box with
her fingers. "Barnabas, it's a very thoughtful thing for you
to do. But I would think you would want to keep it."
  "No. I'd prefer that you have it."
  "Why?"
  He had a far away look in his deep-set eyes. "I came
across the original portrait of Josette again the other day
and I was struck once more by your resemblance to her."
  "And that is why you would like it to be mine?"
  "Yes. That and other reasons. Please accept it," he
begged her.
  Her eyes were adoring as she told him, "I'll always
treasure it, Barnabas."

It would really be interesting to know if the script used for the novelization went into how Julia wouldn't be around, so that's why Barnabas had Maggie over on that specific night. And it would also be interesting if that script states that Barnabas used the excuse of the completed restoration of the dining room to have Maggie over because something like that would definitely cut down on the seeming inappropriateness of Maggie being alone with Barnabas for a candle light dinner. Though considering in the film they changed the setting of the dinner to the drawing room, that excuse wouldn't work anyway.

One thing that's definitely interesting is that Barnabas only has to tell Willie once that his services are no longer needed and Willie leaves, unlike how that plays out in both the film and DC's script.

Also, the way Josette's portrait is brought up actually flows with the conversation and it makes much more sense than how it's brought up in either DC's script or in the film.

And I love Barnabas' "That and other reasons" remark. You bet there are "other reasons," honey!!  [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And once again it's time to focus on the Fest's 1999 Movie Calendar because April 28th's installment is different from both DC's script and the novelization:

For April 28th:

hoDS: Alternate Version of Scene #188 - Barnabas (to
Maggie): 'I came across the original portrait of Josette.
I was struck once again by her beauty and your resemblance
to her.'

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Since there's no electricity at the old house,  every dinner would have to have been by candlelight, so maybe the dinner didn't appear quite as inappropriate.
But Maggie should have had resisted the gift of the music box more than she did. It's perfectly in character for him to want to give it to her. But Maggie should have realized that was a very expensive gift from someone that she doesn't know that well, especially when she's supposed to be serious with Jeff.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Has anyone else wondered if Willie had always been such an accomplished cook that he could prepare an "excellent meal"--an in a kitchen without electricity, no less! It just seems a tad bit out of character for him... Or maybe Barnabas had also bitten and enslaved a chef from Collinsport whom we never saw?  [hall2_undecided]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wouldn't it be funny if Willie's backstory in the film had been that at one time he'd been Collinwood's renowned chef, but something happened in Willie's life that made him abuse alcohol to such a point that after that he was reduced to being the Collins' alcoholic and resentful handyman?  [hall2_wink]  But then Barnabas comes along and "rehabilitates" Willie, after which Barnabas gets to take advantage of Willie's culinary expertise!  [hall2_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is so much fun seeing all these different ads for the movie. Thanks for posting them, MB! I can't believe how cheesy some were--especially that one with Carolyn's mouth open and Barnabas' face inside.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Apparently whoever designed the DS posters had a taste (no pun intended) for sticking things inside mouths because lets not forget that in the A version of the NoDS poster an image of Angelique hanging is inside Angelique's mouth:

The montage of the cast in front of Lyndhurst as seen on the cover of the Ross novel is the same image from the primary one sheet poster design.

Honestly, something about the aesthetic of the layout of the card and the 6 sheet appeals to me -

- more than the one sheet and three sheet layout -

And is it just me or does Julia look more like she's wearing the "football helmet" wig from the '67 daytime eps than she does the hairstyle she sports in the film? I've often wondered if that photo in the poster was taken before they decided on a final look for Julia?

(I actually have a three sheet version--which despite the name is really in two pieces--that I've yet to display anywhere. That sucker is 6 feet tall!)

That's the problem with those big posters. The one sheets are so much easier to display.

As I've mentioned before, I have the one sheet of NoDS displayed in my home office.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to Scene 189:

189    INT:  OLD HOUSE DRAWING ROOM - NIGHT               189

CAMERA IS TIGHT on Willie's agitated face.

And that's when September 19th's first quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Willie: 'Barnabas, why'd you give Maggie the music box?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

CAMERA TRUCKS BACK TO TWO SHOT:                       

And that's when September 19th's second quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'You know I'm very fond of her.'

- comes up, followed by September 20th's quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Willie: 'You're not -- you're not going to do to her -- what you did to Carolyn -- are you?'

- coming up, followed by last Thursday's quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'Willie, this is going to be very different.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, Scene 189 does not begin with the camera tight on Willie's agitated face because, as can be seen in September 19th's first capture -

- things are already being shot as a two shot - and as Willie moves closer to Barnabas, he actually delivers that day's first quote as "Why'd you give Maggie that music box?", with the  "Barnabas" dropped - and after Barnabas turns his head to acknowledge Willie beside him and then, as can be seen in September 19th's second capture -

- Barnabas turns his head away, he delivers that day's second quote exactly as scripted - but then Willie actually delivers September 20th's quote as "You're not gonna do to her what you did to Carolyn?", with the first "You know" and the "are you" dropped before Barnabas turns completely to face Willie, as can be seen in last Thursday's capture -

- and he delivers that day's quote exactly as scripted.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 189:

WILLIE
                 What do you mean different?               

And that's when last Friday's first quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'Haven't you noticed how much I've changed recently --'

- comes up, followed by last Friday's second quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Willie: 'Look, I don't care about that -- I only care about Maggie!'

- coming up, followed by last Saturday's quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'I'd be the last person to let anything happen to her.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

There is an anguished look on Willie's face.  This
       kind of smooth talk from Barnabas is very unusual and
       he doesn't believe it.

And that's when Sunday's quote -

Page 84/Scene 189 - Willie (pleading): 'Barnabas, please stay away from her. Anyway, you know she's already spoken for!'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notations, Willie actually delivers his unquoted line as "Well, what da you mean different?", and I love the look of confusion on his face before -

- before he does so - and as can be seen in last Friday's first capture, Barnabas turns away from Willie (and a notation in DC's script indicates Barnabas "x toward door") as -

- Barnabas delivers that day's first quote, which he does so as "Well, haven't you noticed how much I've changed recently?" - and as we can see in Friday's second capture, Willie follows after Barn, putting the chafing dish he's been holding down on a table as -

- he delivers that day's second quote exactly as scripted - and as we can see in last Saturday's capture, Willie runs after Barnabas as Barnabas goes into the foyer as -

- Barnabas actually delivers that day's quote as "I'm the last person who would let anything happen to Maggie" - and as we can see in Sunday's capture, Willie cuts in front of Barnabas (and there was a notation that said just that in DC's script but he mostly erased it for some reason) to stop him as -

- he delivers Sunday's quote almost exactly as scripted, except that when it comes to the first part he adds a pause, as in "Barnabas, please -- stay away from her", to change the tone. (And seeing the anguish on Willie's face, it's easy to understand why/how he does the things that he's about to do...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 189:

189    CONTD                                        CONTD 189

And that's when Monday's quote -

Page 85/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'She won't be seeing Jeff for several days. I've seen to that.'

- comes up, followed by Tuesday's first quote -

Page 85/Scene 189 - Willie (panicky): 'What're you talking about? You ain't done nothing to Jeff, have you?'

- coming up, followed by Tuesday's second quote -

Page 85/Scene 189 - Barnabas: 'On the contrary, Willie. I've done something for him.'

- coming up.

End of scene.

And when it comes to the dialogue and the lack of descriptions, directions and notations, as can be seen in Monday's capture, Barnabas starts up the stairs and then turns back to Willie -

- when he sort of gloats as the completion of that day's quote, which he delivers exactly as scripted - and as we can see in Tuesday's first capture, Barnabas continues up the stairs and reaches the top as -

- a worried Willie delivers that day's first quote almost exactly as scripted with the exception of saying "You ain't done nothin' to Jeff, have ya?" - and as can be seen in Tuesday's second capture, Barnabas swings around and with more gloat in his voice he delivers that day's second quote -

- exactly as scripted - and that only causes Willie to become more confused -

- as the camera trucks in on him (and the audience remains just as confused because, as the film stands, we never do find out what Barnabas has done for Jeff... [hall2_rolleyes]).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here's the novelization of Scene 189:

Willie was
in the drawing room with an agitated expression on his
ugly face. He at once demanded of Barnabas, "Why did
you give Maggie the music box?"
  Barnabas frowned. "You know I'm very fond of her."
  Willie was plainly worried. "You're not--you're not
going to do to her what you did to Miss Carolyn, are you?"
  Barnabas shook his head and in a placating tone said,
"No, Willie. This is going to be very different."
  "What do you mean, different?" the servant asked
suspiciously.
  Barnabas said, "Haven't you noticed how much I've
changed recently?"
  Willie hesitated unhappily. "I don't know about that.
I mean, I don't care about it. I only care about Maggie."
  Barnabas was all calm reason. "I'd be the last person
to let anything happen to her."
  He was plainly baffled. "I don't properly understand a
lot of the things that have happened," he said. "But it's
been better lately. And I'd like to see it stay that way."
  Barnabas said, "You needn't worry."
  "You know what could happen," Willie reminded him.
  "There is no danger."
  "I'd like to believe that," Willie said. "But after Carolyn
and the others I don't."
  "Even if I give you my solemn word?"
  "Barnabas, please stay away from her," Willie pleaded.
"Anyway, you know she's in love with Jeff. She's already
spoken for."
  "She won't be seeing Jeff for a while, Barnabas said.
"I've taken care of that."
  Willie was at once alarmed. "What are you talking
about? You ain't done nothing to Jeff, have you?"
  Barnabas smiled wryly. "On the contrary, Willie, I've
done something for him."

Like many other scenes, there's additional dialogue. But even some of the other dialogue is a bit different in places.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Apparently whoever designed the DS posters had a taste (no pun intended) for sticking things inside mouths because lets not forget that in the A version of the NoDS poster an image of Angelique hanging is inside Angelique's mouth:

I'd forgotten about that one! It seems to me that they were really going out of their way to emphasize the horror in that movie (quite overselling that aspect, IMO). It's a much more cerebral work. Whereas for HoDS, as weird as the ad campaign was, it did fit in much more with the aesthetic of the film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And before we reach the current scene in the slideshow, we need to deal with a very short (in DC's script, anyway) scene:

190    EXT:  COLLINWOOD - DAY                             190
       WIDE ANGLE
            INT   Carolyn's  Room
       SLOW ZOOM IN on second story window where Liz is seen
       sitting, staring into space.  As CAMERA MOVES IN, the
       SOUND OF MAGGIE'S VOICE from the next scene slowly
       starts filtering in over the picture.

And that's when Wednesday's quote -

Page 85/Scene 190 - Maggie (OS): 'I'd love to go with you, Jeff, but Mrs. Stoddard needs me so.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

SLOW DISSOLVE TO:

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, the directions, and the notation, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interestingly, the novelization's version of Scene 190 bears little resemblance to the version in DC's script:

Elizabeth paid no attention to the phone when it rang,
merely continuing to stare sadly out the window, her
eyes fixed on nothing in particular. Maggie picked up
the phone and found it was Jeff wanting to talk to her.
  "How would you like to go to Boston for a few days?"
he asked.
  "I'd love it," she told him. "Why do you ask?"
  "I have to go for a special reason," he said in an
elated tone. "I think you'll be interested and it would
be nice if you could be there too."
  "I'd enjoy it," she said. "But I can't leave Collinwood
now. Mrs. Stoddard needs me so."
  From the other end of the line came Jeff's disappointed,
"I'd forgotten about that. There's no chance of your
getting away?"
  "I'm afraid not," she said, genuinely sorry. "But I do
want to hear all about it."
  "Can we meet later in the afternoon?" he asked.
  "Come over here," she invited. "I'll be out on the
grounds with David."
  "Fine," he said. "In about an hour."
  "I'll be looking for you," she told him.

Shockingly more extended Jeff material dropped from the script at some point along the way. Not that it was all that important because we'll learn the important stuff concerning Jeff in Scene 191. All what's really important in Scene 190 is that there's been no improvement with Liz and that was retained in DC's script - though, of course, given it's character oriented and not related to the blood and gore, DC deemed it unnecessary to the film. But still, what was DC thinking, dropping material from his favorite muse RD?!