Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 88335 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
- looks around (and you all know who you are who want to see that -

- up closer  [b003])

I'm quite sure you had someone else in mind when you posted this, but thank you, MB!  [easter_wink]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

I really love this sequence, and thinks it's by far the best "vampire hunting" scene ever put on film (at least that I've ever viewed).

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm quite sure you had someone else in mind when you posted this, but thank you, MB!  [easter_wink]

Given some of your recent posts, you were certainly among the people I was thinking about!  [nodassent]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I really love this sequence, and thinks it's by far the best "vampire hunting" scene ever put on film (at least that I've ever viewed).

I totally agree - and it's often been cited as such. And what truly makes it so is how Nancy Barrett is so excellent as doomed vampire Carolyn.  [thumb]  I mean, when even Variety singles out your performance in a scene like that, you know you've done something right!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now the differences in Scenes 176 and what we've covered so far of Scene 177:

The only thing that's different about Scene 176 is that it emphasizes that Stokes has the black leather bag -

- (the bag isn't brought up in the script until Scene 177).

Back inside the stable we don't immediately see that Carolyn and Todd are completely hemmed in by the officers because all we see at first is Carolyn gasping as she reacts -

- to the crosses - and next we see Sheriff Patterson -

- come up the stairs -

- followed by Jeff -
- and then we see that Carolyn and Todd are hemmed in -

- and soon the sheriff and Jeff join the group -

- and Carolyn seems none to pleased about that -

- and as scripted she tries to make a break for it -

- but all she manages to do is get hemmed in again -

- and after we see that Stokes and Roger have joined the group, Stokes orders an unscripted -

"Jeff, take care of Todd."

- and after two more reaction shots from Carolyn -

- Jeff attempts to get a hold on Todd -

- but Todd easily pulls away -

- to position himself in front of Carolyn -

- however, unlike how the script says that when two of the men try to stop him, Todd turns furiously and lunges at them, Todd actually lunges at Sheriff Patterson all on his own -

- but as the graphic for Saturday indicates -

- Todd's quote for Saturday, "Stay away from her!! I won't let you take her!!", is completely dropped from the scene - and after Todd grabs Sheriff Patterson by the throat -

- Jeff and a policeman attempt to pull Todd off -

- and after two more reaction shots from Carolyn -

- Todd is subdued -

- but as the graphic for Sunday indicates -

- Stokes' quote for Sunday, "Hold him!! Don't let him near her again!!", is completely dropped from the scene - (and for those of you who know who you are, here's an expanded view -

- of Todd being subdued) - and then Todd -

- is carried off.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Carolyn is such a resourceful vampire. In some ways, she is actually more focused than Barnabas. Which makes me wonder why she doesn't attempt to turn into a bat and hightail it out of the stable. None of the HODS vampires seem to use the "disappearing into thin air" trick that was pretty common on the show. But it seems that only Barnabas does the bat gag here.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Beautiful shots of beautiful Don Briscoe.  I bet his pajama pants fell down frequently while they were filming that.

This scene was, IMO, based on one in the 1966 Hammer film DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, featuring the incredible Barbara Shelley.  But I think this sequence is more effective--and more brutal. 

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Something just dawned on me: Don Briscoe must have been absolutely freezing in those pajamas when they shot the outside scenes because they supposedly shot them on the 3rd day of shooting, which was March 25th - and as anyone who's been in the northeast then can tell you, that's still a cold time of year. And they had him shoot it with his pajama top unbuttoned yet (which is interesting when one considers it was fully buttoned when he was at Collinwood - but then we all know why it somehow found its way to getting unbuttoned, now don't we? [wiseguy]).

At least when they shot the interiors at the stable it was on the 17th day of shooting, which was April 14th. It should have been somewhat warmer and they were indoors, though quite possibly with no heat...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Carolyn is such a resourceful vampire. In some ways, she is actually more focused than Barnabas. Which makes me wonder why she doesn't attempt to turn into a bat and hightail it out of the stable. None of the HODS vampires seem to use the "disappearing into thin air" trick that was pretty common on the show. But it seems that only Barnabas does the bat gag here.

I've often said that Barnabas was very negligent when it came to Carolyn's vampire education!! In hoDS it would seem that the bat gag doesn't come instinctively - and outright disappearing must be even harder...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I bet his pajama pants fell down frequently while they were filming that.

And I'm sure you're hoping Briscoe was method and, therefore, wore no underwear under them.  ;D

This scene was, IMO, based on one in the 1966 Hammer film DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS, featuring the incredible Barbara Shelley.  But I think this sequence is more effective--and more brutal.

I have no memory of the sequence with Barbara Shelly, probably because it's been years since I've seen that film. I'm going to have to check it out the next time I notice it's on...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on with Scene 177 as it appears in DC's script, picking up with Stokes' actions:

Close  up   Carolyn

177    CONTD                                        CONTD 177

He turns his attention back to Carolyn, who is still
       backing away desperately. Whip   pan to    one side
       see   cops     advancing
       REVERSE ANGLE

From behind the circle of men, Carolyn is about to be
       backed into a corner.

REVERSE ANGLE

Carolyn's back dominates the F.G.  Stokes and the
       Sheriff are very close to her now.  The Sheriff
       suddenly moves forward and grabs her by the arm.  As
       he does, he suddenly looks horrified.

CAROLYN - CLOSE SHOT

She has exposed her fangs.  The cross is shoved in her
       face.
       Carolyn   -  P. O V
       FULL GROUP SHOT

The men struggle with Carolyn and slowly force her
       toward the floor.  She continues to struggle like a
       wild animal, but the men finally pin her arms and
       feet down.

CLOSE UP

Stokes opens black bag.  Takes out stake and hammer.

CAROLYN - DOWNWARD ANGLE

Stokes, with weapon, approaches Carolyn.  She is held
       down by the men.  A look of pure terror comes into her
       eyes.

CAROLYN'S POV - STOKES

as he hovers over her, the deadly weapon in his hands.
       REVERSE
       WIDEN as she goes on writhing and SCREAMING.  He poises
       the stake over her heart.  The deputies have all they
       can do to keep her under control.  Stokes raises the
       hammer.  rack   focus   to    Roger

SHOT OF ROGER

A look of deep anguish on his face as he shouts at
       Stokes.

177    CONTD (2)                                (2) CONTD 177

And that's when Monday's first quote -

Page 75/Scene 177 - Roger: 'No, Eliot, don't do it!! You can't destroy her like this! There must be some other way!'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the differences in this part of the scene, I'll be back to do them later...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
So, if I'm understanding this right, some of the staking-Carolyn scene was improvised (unscripted).  Now, that's what made it work so well, and that's what's called method acting.  It's a difficult thing to do and all involved must be in-sync.  Many of the best scenes in film and TV were the result of improvised acting, from drama to comedy. 

One classic scene from a movie comes to mind.  In Raiders of the Lost Ark, Harrison Ford went through a grueling shoot where he battled hordes of bad guys in a middle-eastern city, up and down the streets.  At the time he was suffering from Tourist Trots from drinking unprocessed water and really needed to, shall we say, "relieve" himself.  The climax was to have him battle, with his whip, a huge man wielding a massive sword.  Ford could no longer wait to find the local "privy," and improvised.  He pulled out his pistol and shot his opponent.  The guy portraying the scoundrel played along and fell dead and all the extras surrounding them responded appropriately. 

Then there was The Turning Point, where Anne Bancroft threw her drink in Shirley Maclaine's face.  Even though it was unscripted, the director whispered to Bancroft to do it without Maclaine's knowledge.  Maclaine's  reaction of shock was real, but she played along.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now the differences in the latest part of Scene 177, up to Roger's quote from Monday:

Stokes is suddenly seen with the black leather bag prominently in view as he holds it -

- which is followed by yet more shots of Carolyn -

- reactions to the crosses - and next unlike how the script says Stokes turns his attention to Carolyn, it's Sheriff Patterson who moves in as Carolyn whimpers an unscripted -

"No."

- and after he swipes at her with his right hand, she whimpers another unscripted -

"No."

- and in close-up she whimpers a third unscripted -

"N..."

"...o..."

"...o."

- and then we see the men advancing on Carolyn -

- and Carolyn reacting to their advances -

- and the men move closer still -

- and then the men move in to grab her -

- and to force -

- a struggling Carolyn back onto -

- a mattress (not on the floor) and pin down her -

- arms and legs - and at first Carolyn is decidedly angry about the situation -

- she finds herself in, but soon her expression begins to turn to fear -

- the black leather bag that Stokes is holding and removing a stake -

- from inside as, unlike in the script where it happens later in the scene, Roger actually begs Stokes "Don't do it, Eliot!!" at this point in the film. (And as an aside, even though it's clearly Louis Edmonds' voice that's heard from off screen, an interesting goof with the Subtitles on the DVD and Blu-ray of hoDS is that Roger's line there is attributed to Todd! ::) But then, what would anything related to DS be without some sort of goof?! [b003])

And as I said we would only cover things up to Roger's quote, the rest of what has already been posted of Scene 177 as well as the conclusion of the scene will wait until next time...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So, if I'm understanding this right, some of the staking-Carolyn scene was improvised (unscripted).

I'm not sure if we can say the unscripted bit of dialogue was improvised - all we know for sure is that it doesn't appear in DC's script. Sam Hall was on hand during shooting and often made changes to scenes the night before shooting or even on the fly during shooting, both of which are things that some of the actors, particularly KLS, weren't happy about. However, the staking scene was well rehearsed because it was such a complicated shoot - and because it was rehearsed, it is possible that Stokes' unscripted "Jeff, take care of Todd" was improvised by Thayer David during the rehearsal process. Though it's also possible that it was something Sam Hall came up with after it was decided to drop Stokes' "Hold him!! Don't let him near her again!!" We'll probably never know.

Speaking of Thayer, though, I do love the story of how DC made him do an upcoming bit in the scene over and over again until DC felt he got it right. But we'll get more into that after I post the conclusion of Scene 177 and we get into the remaining differences...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Let's backtrack a little and then wrap up Scene 177 as it appears in DC's script:

CAROLYN - DOWNWARD ANGLE

Stokes, with weapon, approaches Carolyn.  She is held
       down by the men.  A look of pure terror comes into her
       eyes.

CAROLYN'S POV - STOKES

as he hovers over her, the deadly weapon in his hands.
       REVERSE
       WIDEN as she goes on writhing and SCREAMING.  He poises
       the stake over her heart.  The deputies have all they
       can do to keep her under control.  Stokes raises the
       hammer.  rack   focus   to    Roger

SHOT OF ROGER

A look of deep anguish on his face as he shouts at
       Stokes.

177    CONTD (2)                                (2) CONTD 177

Page 75/Scene 177 - Roger: 'No, Eliot, don't do it!! You can't destroy her like this! There must be some other way!'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

WIDEN       as  he   runs   in  and
       CAMERA PANS HIM to Stokes.  He grabs Stokes' arm that
       wields the hammer.

Page 75/Scene 177 - Stokes: 'There is no other way, Roger! You must believe that!'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

The Sheriff has moved in and removed Roger's hand from
       Stokes' arm.  He tries to steady Roger, who stares in
       horror at the upraised hammer in Stokes' hand, then
       down at Carolyn's terror stricken face.

EXTREME CLOSE UP - CAROLYN'S EYES

We see the burning hatred she feels for Stokes.

CLOSE SHOT OF HAND HOLDING THE HAMMER

As the hand brings the hammer down, CAMERA WHIP PANS
       with it until it smashes into the stake and we see
       the stake being driven into Carolyn's chest and the
       blood spurting out.  SHOT WIDENS TO include Carolyn's
       face as she lets out an UNEARTHLY SCREAM.  CAMERA
       WHIP PANS to Todd as he emits a WILD, HALF-CRAZED
       SCREAM and collapses.

CAROLYN - DOWNWARD ANGLE

The stake has been driven through her heart.  Blood
       oozes out of her chest.  Her eyes are closed.  CAMERA
       SLOW ZOOM TO CLOSE UP of her face looking serene.
       CAMERA PULLS BACK AND VIEW WIDENS to show Roger
       standing over her.  He realizes she is at piece now.

End of scene and end of sequence.

And when it comes to the differences in this part of the scene, I'll be back to do them later...