Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87442 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Cool article.  I'd buy FLIP when I could find it (and my allowance hadn't run out!) because they'd run stuff like this.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the current scene:

137    BACK TO THE SCENE                                  137

There is a long silence.  All except Stokes are
       shocked beyond words.  Before anyone can say anything,
       a shadow falls across the room.  Roger is the first to    |
       react to it.  He turns and looks toward the entrance.     |
       CAMERA PANS to the entrance to reveal Liz standing        |
       there, a shocked and outraged look on her face.           V
LIZ                                                          Zoom to
Roger                        ROGER (OS)                        CU Liz
They react         Elizabeth!!

And that's when Wednesday's quote -

Page 60/Scene 137 - Liz: 'You knew how I felt about this, Roger! And yet you came here anyway! You allowed these men to desecrate her grave!!'

- comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Cool article.

The photos are great, four of which were never published elsewhere, but the text could have used a bit more accuracy. The glaring error is it saying that Carolyn is David's "sister." Though at the time we didn't know if that was right or wrong, so the possibility that it was right got my circle of DS friends wondering (needlessly, as it would soon turn out) what else the film was going to change. But if they weren't simply judging by who was in the photos, they would have known that Grayson Hall, Thayer David and John Karlen had actually begun work on the first day of shooting because both Julia and Stokes were part of the funeral and the scene with Willie outside the mausoleum was also shot that same day. And even Jonathan Frid began shooting a couple days later. But those are minor quibbles in the overall scheme of things because it was quite thrilling to see actual photos of production and to get tidbits about the plot, even if Carolyn becoming a vampire was a major spoiler, but definitely a really exciting one!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
At least it's a little better than the Debbie Reynolds/Shelley Winters movie What's The Matter With Helen? where the poster gives away the ending.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Really? I don't remember that. I'm going to have to track a copy down.

But speaking of posters, now that you mention it, even though it isn't as bad as revealing the ending, both versions of the hoDS poster don't exactly keep secret that Carolyn becomes a vampire, now do they?! And when it comes to one of them, even the fact that she gets staked is on display for all to see!!  ::)  Although, I don't think I ever saw that poster until years after I saw the film. All the theaters around here used the version with the characters on the lawn - both at their theaters and in the larger newspaper ads...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And speaking of the alternate hoDS posters, talk about being unobservant!! I never noticed until today when I was looking at them that the the color version adds blood on Carolyn's chin that isn't there in the B&W version (or as bloodied on her chin in the actual photo) and the B&W version removes the blood tricking from the corner of her mouth (which is trickling from the corner of her mouth in the actual photo):

[6184]

But I wonder if it was a standards thing in certain cities? Pehaps the bloodier color version wouldn't have been allowed to be displayed in those places...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
And is that really Frid in the coffin? It looks more like a drawing to me.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
With all the problems with uploading this week, I forgot that I wanted to share this behind the scenes still from Scene 134:

I know it's been widely circulated - but I just love it!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And is that really Frid in the coffin? It looks more like a drawing to me.

It looks like that whole section of the poster is a drawing:

There's a still of Willie with the chained coffin, but I don't remember any stills of the hand grabbing Willie's throat. Though in the film, even though the arm/hand is real, it's the arm/hand of an extra. As for the face, whoever put the montage together for the poster just stuck a face in there.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 137:

CAMERA PULLS BACK to include Roger as he crosses to
       her.  Liz is far enough away so that she can't see
       into the coffin.

And that's when yesterday's quote -

Page 60/Scene 137 - Roger: 'Elizabeth -- I don't know how to tell you this --'

- comes up, followed by today's quote -

Page 60/Scene 137 - Liz: 'I am not interested in anything you have to say! You are to get these men out of here and let my daughter rest in peace!'

- coming up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, we really have no way of knowing how things might have played in the film because this scene ended up on the cutting room floor.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
With all the problems with uploading this week, I forgot that I wanted to share this behind the scenes still from Scene 134:

I know it's been widely circulated - but I just love it!

Physician, heal thyself!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  Considering what she thought of DC's directing, she might have felt she needed to.  [b003]

(Though it's interesting that she was so impressed by how far he'd come by the time she did The Great Ice Rip-Off with him in 1974.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now that I've shared parts of two others, I thought I'd share a third still from the "exhumation party" sequence, as Gothick termed it:

Given they're all looking down, one could presume it's the moment they discover Carolyn's coffin is empty. But given that in all likelihood the footage from the scene has been destroyed, I suppose we'll never really know for sure...