Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87546 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 16 and moving a bit forward. First up, Roger's next move and Maggie's reaction:

He starts to leave the room.  Maggie is astonished.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 6/Scene 16 - Maggie: 'Aren't you even going to go look for him?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 6/Scene 16 - Roger: 'No. And if you do, don't come running to me with any more tall tales.'

coming up, followed in the script by:

17     He exits.  Liz looks at Maggie and Mrs. Johnson.   17
       A look which says this is not finished yet.

LIZ
                 He'll look for him.

She exits as CAMERA TRUCKS INTO TIGHT SHOT OF MAGGIE.

End of sequence.

And again, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if what's scripted is how things actually played out because blah, blah, blah...

Coming up next is the remainder of the first draft of the sequence...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And here's how the rest of "Hanging David" plays in the first draft:

12     INT. MAGGIE'S ROOM - NIGHT - CLOSE UP MAGGIE       12

CAMERA TRUCKS her to closet.

MAGGIE
                  We had a fight about his home-
                  -work.  Then, I couldn't find him.
                  I was getting my coat to go out...
                  in case he had gone to the cot-
                  tage...I opened that door.

WIDER

As Roger opens the closet door.  There is a flash of
       lightning.  He looks in, as Liz and Mrs. Johnson enter
       shot.

ROGER
                  I don't know what you expected us
                  to see, Miss Evans.

13     THEIR POV - CLOSET - ZOOM IN                       13

It is empty.

14     MAGGIE                                             14

She is confused, not understanding.  CAMERA TRUCKS her
       to GROUP SHOT.

14     CONTD                                        CONTD 14

MAGGIE
                  He was hanging there --

They move aside, as she goes to the open door.  She
       shakes her head, not understanding.

MAGGIE
                  He was!

She turns to them.

15     GROUP SHOT                                         15

MRS. JOHNSON
                  It was one of David's tricks. That's
                  what it was.

ROGER
                  I think, dear sister, that Miss Evans
                  needs a vacation. Obviously her
                  nerves have gotten the better of
                  her.

He starts to leave the room.  Maggie is astonished.

MAGGIE
                  Aren't you even going to go look
                  for him?

ROGER
                  No. And if you do, don't come
                  running to me with any more tall
                  tales.

16     He exits.  Liz looks at Maggie and Mrs. Johnson.   16
       A look which says this is not finished yet.

LIZ
                  He'll look for him.

She exits as CAMERA TRUCKS INTO TIGHT SHOT OF MAGGIE.

End of sequence. Some is different - much is exactly the same. Originally Roger never asks "What the devil are you talking about?" after he enters Maggie's room and sees nothing - and Maggie originally says much more than "We -- we had a fight about his homework --" - but then, prior to delivering that, she gets new dialogue when "There -- there -- the closet" is added in the rewrite.

Interestingly, the sequence that will begin on Monday is set in a totally different location in DC's script than it is in the original draft. But more on that after we finish the first scene in DC's script's version of that sequence...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I know I'm unduly fussy about this stuff, but IMO, had Clarice played Mrs. Johnson, the line would have sounded properly in character if she had said Davy, not David. 

When she spoke to him, I remember her calling him Davy.  But that could be a misremembering...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Nope, you're not misremembering - that exactly what she always called him - at least when he was younger...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Before we get to the scene featuring today's quote, I want to post the scene leading up to it and its counterpart in the original draft so everyone can see how totally different it is, and not just with regard to its location.

First up, DC's script:

18     EXT:  COLLINWOOD - STABLE AREA - NIGHT             18

Maggie comes along the drive, enters through the
       archway.  There is thunder and lightning.  She crosses
       to the stable door, opens it, goes inside.

And now the original draft:

17     INT. WILLIE'S COTTAGE - NIGHT                      17

WILLIE LOOMIS, a thin, seedy young man in a chauffeur's
       uniform puzzles over an old piece of paper.

WILLIE
                  The three Graces spin...high above...
                  The Lion's head looks down at the dove.
                  And in the womb beneath the hill...
                  The secret fire glows bright and still.

17     CONTD                                        CONTD 17

He obviously can't fathom the meaning.  He takes a pint
       of whiskey from the table, drinks it.  He has been
       drinking steadily.

18     EXT. COTTAGE DOOR - NIGHT                          18

Maggie knocks on the door.

Quite interesting, no? I mean, who knew Willie was originally supposed to be the Collins' chauffeur??!!  [shkdg]  And what I find even more fascinating is that Scene 17 in the first draft is so much like Scene 23 in the pilot for the '91 DS:

23     INT. WILLIE'S GARRET ROOM - NIGHT

Where WILLIE LOOMIS, 30, slovenly and nasty-looking, sits
       hunched over a small desk, scribbling notes on a piece of paper.

In front of him are aged, open reference books, paper, an
       antique map, etc. ... Also a half-empty bottle of bourbon.

At the moment, he’s trying to figure something out, puffing
       excitedly on a cigarette, muttering:

And that point is when Friday's quote -

Page 10/Scene 23 - Willie: '"...three Graces spin-- high above-- lion looks at the dove..."'

- comes up. However, unlike the script, Willie isn't puffing on a cigarette (though there is one burning in an ashtray on his desk) and after delivering the above quote, Willie takes a swig of his liquor and in a moment that's unscripted, he excitedly repeats "Lion looks at the dove!"

Who knew that not only did DC "borrow" from the final version of the hoDS script, he also "borrowed' parts of the first draft that had been deleted from subsequent drafts of the script?! But then, does that really surprise any of us?! I mean, really?!  ::)

And another thing, many fans don't realize that Maggie's path to the stable in DC's script's Scene 18, while not shot exactly the same way, is sort of an homage to Vicki's path to Matthew Morgan's cottage in Ep #13 in the daytime series:

And as we can see, an homage right down to the trenchcoats... And probably the only reason Scene 18 isn't staged exactly like Vicki's version is because Lela Swift and not DC directed it. As we know only too well, DC is not above using his previous stagings over and over and over and... But considering that in many respects, on the film Lela is for all intents and purposes the co-director of hoDS, I suppose DC figured he really shouldn't rip off, er, of course I mean "borrow" from her work...

And as far as Scene 18 in the film goes, once again there is no thunder and lightning.  [sad10]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Amazing that I have been in DS fandom for all these years (hell, all these decades ) and still find there are things that I haven't seen before. Very impressive, MB!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up today's new scene:

19     INT:  STABLE - NIGHT                               19

Maggie crosses to a stairway which leads to Willie's
       apartment.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 6/Scene 19 - Maggie (calling up the stairs): 'Willie! Willie Loomis!'

- comes up.

And there's nothing to comment on because everything plays pretty much exactly as scripted.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Amazing that I have been in DS fandom for all these years (hell, all these decades ) and still find there are things that I haven't seen before.

Well, so far as Willie being a chauffeur in the first draft, we have to recall that at the time it was written, John Karlen was no longer on DS because he'd moved to LA after his exit from the 1897 storyline and he was pursuing work there. They may have thought they wouldn't be able to get Karlen for the film and would have to recast the role so they decided to take Willie in a somewhat different direction. But then when they were able to get Karlen back and he returned to the fold starting at the end of Leviathans (and continuing throughout the rest of the show), adjustments to the script were made accordingly...

Truthfully is was wonderful that they could get Karlen because Willie is one of the few fantastic things about hoDS. And that's probably why Karlen looks back so fondly on hoDS while many of the other actors do not...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with DC's script's Scene 19:

There is no answer.  She turns to leave when suddenly
       a figure jumps out at her from the darkness.  She
       SCREAMS.  We hear the sound of WILLIE'S INSANE LAUGHTER.

MAGGIE
                 Willie!

She moves from him.  He starts toward her.

MAGGIE
                 What's the matter, Maggie, I scare
                 you?

19     CONTD                                        CONTD 19

He tries to put his hands on her shoulders.  She pulls
       away from him.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 7/Scene 19 - Maggie: 'Don't touch me, Willie! How many times have I told you? Don't you touch me!'

- comes up.

And when it comes to any differences in the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Maggie doesn't actually turn to leave after there's no answer from Willie because she continues to look and shine her flashlight around -

- and she calls out another time -

Willie.

- shortly before Willie jumps out at her - and Willie actually tries to put his hands on Maggie's arms, not her shoulders - and afterward Maggie actually tells him a slightly different "Don't touch me, Willie! How many times do I have to tell you? Don't you touch me!"

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Truthfully is was wonderful that they could get Karlen because Willie is one of the few fantastic things about hoDS. And that's probably why Karlen looks back so fondly on hoDS while many of the other actors do not...

I would venture to say that of all performances in the film, Karlen's is the very best. He's a very fine actor, and I really enjoy watching him on DS. (I also did not know that he was gone from DS when the film was being written. How fortuitous that they were able to get him back! I just can't imagine the film, or the rest of DS, without him.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Willie Loomis, chauffeur.

That seems somehow more horrifying, at least potentially, than anything that happens onscreen in hoDS. LOL!

Brilliant captures, MB!  I have to watch some 1966 shows again!!

Bouncily,  G.

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
There's one thing that I have always wondered about, though I'm not sure how or if it will pertain to the slideshow: the Easter blizzard of 1970. KLS alludes it somewhat in Scrapbook Memories and the movie book. I wonder how much of an impact that storm actually had on the filming and if that might be the reason that some scenes were rewritten or simply not filmed at all.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
You bring up an interesting point. It's always been my understanding that the original intent was to begin the shoot at Lyndhurst  to shoot all the Collinwood exteriors, then follow with the interiors, then to shift locations to Beechwood (the Schoales Estate) to do the Old House exteriors and interiors (mostly interiors), then to switch locations to Wilton, CT and the Three Bears Restaurant to do the exteriors and interiors of the Collinsport Inn, and to make the final location switch to the Lockwood-Mathews mansion to shoot the abandoned monastery interiors. And for the most part, I believe things stuck to that. However, when it snowed while they were still doing Lyndhurst/Collinwood exteriors, they simply juggled things a bit and moved inside to shoot interiors instead and then moved back outside once the snow was cleared.

I have a copy of the original shooting schedule (which I do intend to share at some point) but believe it or not, I've never compared it to KLS' diary. But I definitely intend to compare the two here (again, at some point).

Online Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I don't have Scrapbook Memories in front of me but I seem to remember KLS relating a story about how the weather prevented everyone else but her from making the trek to Tarrytown. I know that she can be the patron saint of selective memory but I suspect that in this case her memory may be more accurate.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That would conflict with her diary because in that she says something like on the first day of shooting after the blizzard only Louis Edmonds missed making it to Tarrytown (because he was snowed in) and after DC had a fit that Louis couldn't make it, he gave all Louis'/Roger's lines for that day's shooting to Dennis Patrick/Sheriff Patterson.

I'd trust the diary more than Scrapbook Memories because the diary was written on the day. But then I don't trust much in Scrapbook Memories. The photos are wonderful and make it well worth owning, but that book should really be title Ben Martin's Fantastic Photos and Kathryn Leigh Scott's Faulty Memories Of Dark Shadows...