Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87954 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up today's scene:

14     INT:  MAGGIE'S ROOM - NIGHT                        14
       CLOSE UP - ROGER

He sees nothing in the room.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 5/Scene 14 - Roger: 'What the devil are you talking about?'

- comes up.

And again, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if anything might have changed or things might have played as scripted because blah, blah, blah...

And once we finish this version of the sequence and I post the original draft, it will be interesting to compare things with the way they were originally scripted because in this rewrite, not only is there new dialogue, but original lines are moved all around...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up where we left off with Scene 14:

SHOT WIDENS as everyone stares at Maggie.  She points
       to the closet.

Page 5/Scene 14 - Maggie: 'There -- there -- the closet.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

CAMERA PANS Roger to the closet.

MAGGIE
                 We -- we had a fight about his
                 homework --
               looks in
       Roger opens the closet door.  There is a flash of
       lightning.  He looks in as Liz and Mrs. Johnson enter
       shot.              them

And again, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if what's scripted and/or crossed out is how things actually played out because blah, blah, blah... Though we do know that Mrs. Johnson is replaced by Daphne...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I can see why all of this was either never shot, or cut.  I presume DC excised most of this before he even delivered his completed print to MGM.

I of course would have loved to have seen it all, especially Roger complaining that nobody would leave him in peace and quiet to get on with his Proust... and brandy.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Actually, everything we've covered in DC'd script so far, except for Scenes 9 & 10 (
Reply #16
), were in the print DC delivered to MGM for the preview screening. It wasn't until after the preview that all but Scenes 4 and Scene 8 were cut...

It's really too bad that further cuts were made because, if they stuck to the script, some of Roger's best lines in the film were taken out.  [snow_sad]  But then, it would appear that too many characters had some of their best stuff (or at least best stuff in the script) left on the cutting room floor...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up the current scene and moving forward, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 5/Scene 14 - Roger: 'I don't know what you expected us to see. Miss Evans.'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

15     CLOSET - THEIR POV - ZOOM IN                       15

It is empty.

16     MAGGIE                                             16

She is confused, not understanding.  CAMERA TRUCK her
       to GROUP SHOT.
       MAG. P.O.V - GROUP IN F.G. - TRUCK IN AS THEY PART - SEE
           CLOSET

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 5/Scene 16 - Maggie: 'He was hanging there --'

- comes up.

And once again, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if what's scripted, crossed out, and/or added are how things actually played out because blah, blah, blah... But one other thing that DC added to his script besides the notes included above is that he added  "(O.S.)" after Maggie's name for today's second quote.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with DC's Scene 16:

They move aside, as she goes to the open door.  She
       shakes her head, not understanding.
       CLOSE UP MAG.
                             MAGGIE
                 He was!

She turns to them as SHOT WIDENS.  They stare at her.

Page 5/Scene 16 - Mrs. Johnson: 'It was one of David's tricks. That's what it was.'

- comes up.

And once again, when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way of knowing if what's scripted, crossed out, and/or added are how things actually played out because blah, blah, blah... But one thing we do know, which is obvious in today's graphic -

- is that Mrs. Johnson was replaced with Daphne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing DC's Scene 16:

16     CONTD                                        CONTD 16

Page 6/Scene 16 - Roger: 'I think, dear sister, that Miss Evans needs a vacation. Obviously her nerves have gotten the better of her.'

- comes up.

And once again, when it comes to the dialogue for this scene, we have no way of knowing if what's scripted is how things actually played out because blah, blah, blah... Though I must say that today's quote is probably the one that I'm most disappointed doesn't appear in the film. It's classic Roger, I can't imagine they would have altered or dropped it, and I'm sure Louis Edmonds must have delivered it brilliantly in Roger's patented condescending snip. But alas... Not to mention it explains the relationship between Roger and Liz, something that is never explained in the film as it is now, and something that many in the audience who weren't DS fans (including many film critics) were quite confused about...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can hear Louis saying this with that perfect touch of icy disdain. These pre Barnabas scenes establish the Collins household as a dysfunctional but somehow functioning family unit. Wouldn't it cool if Big Finish were to do an audio version of the complete script?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Roger's dialogue explains something else that always throws me for a loop whenever I watch this film.  Obviously, at some point there was a scene where Maggie informed Roger and Liz that she was resigning.  Then Barn turns on the charm at the ball and Maggie suddenly changes her mind.  The ball scene doesn't really make sense unless you already know the story since there has been nothing shown or said about Maggie leaving up till that point.  There's at least a hint here that Roger thinks it would be a good idea for Miss Evans to go on a "vacation."

Another reason why these early scenes would have been helpful from a narrative point of view is that they establish who is who--as you've pointed out.  In Elvira's rap about the movie (her clips talking about it, I guess from when she ran it on her show, are on Youtube), she keeps saying, "Who are all these people anyway?"  Initially I thought she was just being characteristically sassy.  But if you've never seen the show, the movie really tells you very little about just who anybody is and why they're there.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Two upcoming parts of the script relate directly to Maggie's decision to leave. In DC's script they're Scene 21 and then Scenes 68 through 68C - and needless to say, in both cases they were shot but DC, in his infinite wisdom, left them on the cutting room floor.  [snow_rolleyes]

Quotes from Scene 21 will be coming up in the slideshow from January 24th through the 27th. Quotes from Scenes 68 through 68C won't be coming up until sometime in late February though early March. We don't have specific dates for those because, even though we've already done a breakdown of the script for the entire year (what pages/scenes are assigned to each month), we haven't picked out the specific quotes for February and March yet...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Page 5/Scene 16 - Mrs. Johnson: 'It was one of David's tricks. That's what it was.'

Oh, it would have been wonderful BOTH if Clarice Blackburn had been in the film and that this scene had remained. I can hear Blackburn's delivery of this line very clearly in my mind!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Lisa Richards really made out here. Not only does Daphne fill in for Mrs. Johnson but she also [spoiler]gets some of the staging intended for the Nancy Hodiak scene[/spoiler]. Was Daphne originally a much smaller part in the script?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So far Daphne has only come up in the script in the scene on the stairs when Maggie asks her about David. I honestly haven't checked to see how big her other stuff in the script is. But we will certainly see...