Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of), Part 2 [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #18,#21,#23,#49,#64,#69,#76,#88,#90,#100,#105,#107,#115**]  (Read 87945 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
You may have already guessed that this slideshow for hoDS would be the follow up to last year's NoDS slideshow. Yes, this year we're going to be focusing on the entire script for hoDS because, well, it's only fair that hoDS get its due. Midnite and I may not be the film's biggest fans, but the film definitely has its share of fans in general fandom as well as here on the forum. And even though Midnite and I aren't the biggest fans when it comes to the overall film, we do realize that hoDS does have several things to offer, including, say, great work from both John Karlen and Nancy Barrett, to name but two (but more on performances like theirs later). Plus, like NoDS, there are somewhat different versions of the hoDS script in circulation, so we'll be sharing or at least referencing alternate versions of scenes when possible.

And, just as is the case with NoDS, considering the Internet as we know it was only but a dream in someone's head back in '70, we'll also be sharing press releases and articles detailing the production and release of the film.

So, hopefully everyone will have almost as much fun as we had with NoDS...

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Congratulations!  You have already found a film still I don't recall having seen before.

I look forward to this new series!  I really think you must have magical powers to find the time for this work in the midst of your busy schedule!

Happy New Year!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think people who have never seen the early draft of the script for this film are going to be a bit surprised by several of the differences between its opening scenes and the opening scenes in DC's script, which is apparently the second draft. But we're going to leave getting into the early draft until after getting into several of the opening scenes in DC's script. And so it begins:

FADE IN:

1      EXT:  COLLINWOOD - NIGHT                          1

LONG LENS SHOT of the somber, EEIRE CASTLE as the
       rain pours down.  FADE IN EEIRE THEME MUSIC.  The
       house is suddenly illuminated by a violent flash of
       lightning.  At the same time we hear LOUD MENACING
       THUNDER.  The CAMERA STARTS TO MOVE IN on the great
       house.  There is a second flash of lightning and we
       up MAIN TITLES.

DARK SHADOWS

Credits continue over the following:

SLOW DISSOLVE TO:

2      INT:  MAGGIE'S ROOM - NIGHT                       2

CAMERA FRAMES BED IN FOREGROUND.  O.S. we hear the
       sound of a DOOR OPENING.  The CAMERA PANS UP to
       MAGGIE EVANS in the doorway.  She is young, pretty,
       plainly dressed, as befits a governess.  She sees a
       note on the bed.  She crosses to it, picks it up.
       CAMERA TIGHTENS ON her face.

3      INSERT SHOT - NOTE                                3

Maggie's hands holding note.  It is written in red
       ink and in a childish scrawl.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 1/Scene 3 - Maggie (reading): '‘It's all your fault. You'll be sorry.’'

comes up.

End of scene.

And as far as the note's contents go, we know that's how it reads because there are obviously stills featuring it.

And when it comes to the descriptions and directions for Scene 1, there is no rain pouring down, nor is the house suddenly illuminated by a violent flash of lightning or is there the sound of anything even resembling thunder, loud, menacing, or otherwise. However what is heard is some sort of nightbird, and what is seen is the camera moving in on the house. But when it comes to Scenes 2 and 3, we have no way at this point of knowing if what's scripted is how things actually played out because those scenes are no longer in the film and appear to be lost.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
dom, Uncle Roger, and Gothick, I'm glad you're looking forward to this new slideshow. I think it's going to be fun.  [santa_smiley]

You have already found a film still I don't recall having seen before.

Hopefully there will be more stills like that to come.  [santa_wink]

I really think you must have magical powers to find the time for this work in the midst of your busy schedule!

If only I did have magical powers - I'd be able to do even more during my day.  [santa_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the current scene:

4      INT:  SECOND FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT               4
       LOW ANGLE

Maggie closes the door to her room, starts down the
       long hall.  CAMERA TRUCKING BACK in front of her.
       She stops in front of David's door.

Page 1/Scene 4 - Maggie: 'David?'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

goes
       CAMERA PANS WITH HER as she looks into the dark room.
       A flash of lightning illuminates it.  She hesitates,
       walks in, goes to the closet, opens the door, looks
       in.  No one is there.  She comes back to CAMERA as we
       GO INTO CLOSE UP
                                               CUT TO:

CONTINUE CREDITS:

End of scene as scripted. However, as all the cross outs suggest, the scene is greatly reworked in the film - more so than even the script indicates.

So, as far as the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions go, indeed the beginning of the scene doesn't include anything that's been crossed out, though it does begin with a low angle shot down the long corridor -

- and then, as she becomes more visible while moving down the corridor toward the camera and looking about, Maggie suddenly hears music (Back at the Blue Whale, though on the HoDS/NoDS Soundtrack it's called David's Radio) coming from David's room, and she actually begins to say -

"David, where have you been? I've been looking for you."

- and when she reaches David's room and starts to enter, she does not find it in darkness because it's fully lit -

- and there's no David in the room - and after Maggie finds that David's transistor radio is mysteriously playing by itself, she goes over to his bureau and shuts -

- it off - and then she moves to exit the room -

- but unlike how DC added to his script, the shot of Maggie never goes into close-up.

And I must say, if somehow the Bronte sisters ever became aware that the dress Maggie is wearing "befits a governess," they must have been rolling over in their graves!!  [snow_cheesy]  And I'm almost afraid to contemplate what that is hanging over David's bedpost?!  [snow_strange]  [snow_laugh]

And it definitely has to be noted that Scene 4 actually plays in the film after Scene 8 - but more on that after we reach Scene 8 in the script...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Another still I don't recall having seen before.  Nice shot of Louis with glasses!

I am already enjoying this new topic so much.  Thanks MB for all your hard work!

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And now moving through a couple scenes (well, they're considered two scenes in DC's script) so that we can reach/set the current scene:

6      INT:  FIRST FLOOR  STAIRWAY - NIGHT                6 - 5

Maggie ENTERS SHOT, comes downstairs.  As she reaches
       first floor corridor she turns left.  CAMERA PANS with
       her, TRUCKS IN BACK of her until she reaches the open
       card room door.  She stops.  Through the open door,
       with Maggie in f.g., ROGER COLLINS can be seen.  He
       is an austere, proud man in his forties and David's
       father.  He sits in an armchair by the fire, sipping
       brandy and reading Proust.  Absorbed in his reading,
       he does not take notice of her. 

MAGGIE EVANS - CLOSE UP                              - 6

She is trying to decide whether to tell him David is
       missing.  She makes her decision, is about to move
       toward him.

7      INT:  CARD ROOM - NIGHT  - 2 SHOT                7 - 7
       ROGER - MEDIUM SHOT

as he senses someone in the room, looks up, sees her.
       He lowers his book.

Page 2/Scene 7 - Roger: 'Yes, Miss Evans? Something I can do for you?'

comes up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for these scenes, we have no way at this point of knowing if what's scripted, crossed out, and/or added by DC are how things actually played out because the scenes are no longer in the film and appear to be lost.

However, I do have a still to share from Scene 6/DC's Scene 5:

And here is the full version of the still I cropped for today's graphic for Scene 7:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Those are both wonderful photos.  Any info to share on provenance and/or publication?  Don't go digging... sheer idle curiosity prompts the question.

Those script pages remind me of how intrigued I was by references to the "card room" in "Marilyn" Ross's hoDS novelization.   I wonder if the room that would have been the study in the TV series Collinwood (or so I would think) was called the card room in the movie because that was how this room was known at Lyndhurst.  Another completely pointless question... I had completely forgotten my pondering of this detail until I just now looked at those pages you posted.

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 7:

MAGGIE EVANS - MEDIUM CLOSE UP

She hesitates for a moment, then decides not to tell
       him.

Page 2/Scene 7 - Maggie: 'No -- nothing, Mr. Collins.'

comes up, followed in the script by:

MAGGIE - ROGER

She turns and exits up the hallway.  CAMERA STAYS ON
       Roger, then MOVES INTO A MEDIUM CLOSE UP as he shakes
       his head in disgust, sips his brandy and goes back to
       his reading.

And when it comes to the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions for this scene, we have no way at this point of knowing if what's scripted and/or crossed out are how things actually played out because the scene is no longer in the film and appears to be lost.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Those are both wonderful photos.  Any info to share on provenance and/or publication?

Unfortunately, I not not completely sure about the history of the photos because they were given to me by a friend when he was moving into a much smaller apartment, didn't have room to store all his DS collection, and decided to give away/sell a good deal of it (he only sold stuff that I already had, and stuff I didn't have he gave me because that way he could still "visit" all of it [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]). I'm pretty sure the photos have never been published anywhere - at least not that I've ever seen.

And speaking of the publishing of rare photos, believe it or not, the only place that I *think* the photo I used for today's graphic -

- was published was in the National Enquirer, of all places, when they did a story on hoDS. Unfortunately, it was back when that rag was published as a newspaper, so all the photos in the article are newspaper quality. (And incidentally, the article is one of the things that my friend gave me.) (And I can't believe that so many fans make fun of the contemporary fashions on the daytime DS - particularly the ones in 1970PT - but I've never seen anyone make fun of the monstrosity Maggie wears in the beginning of the film!!  [snow_shocked]  In color it's even worse, as the captures already posted testify!!  [snow_sad])

Those script pages remind me of how intrigued I was by references to the "card room" in "Marilyn" Ross's hoDS novelization.   I wonder if the room that would have been the study in the TV series Collinwood (or so I would think) was called the card room in the movie because that was how this room was known at Lyndhurst.  Another completely pointless question... I had completely forgotten my pondering of this detail until I just now looked at those pages you posted.

Perhaps. Or maybe the Library (the room adjoining the Card Room at Lyndhurst) could be considered as a study. It's interesting that in hoDS Roger reads in the Card Room, yet in NoDS Quentin reads in the Library...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I like this sequence, as it establishes David as a definite problem child, as well as showing that there is already some tension between Maggie and Roger.
And, yes, that is quite an outfit on Maggie. It's like several outlandish fabric remnants competing for attention. Still, KLS must have liked it somewhat because I've seen a couple of shots of her wearing it elsewhere. Outside the studio, I think. Unless [snow_wow] [snow_wow] [snow_wow], it actually happened to be hers!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the current scene:

8      INT:  FIRST FLOOR STAIRS - NIGHT                  8
       (SEEN FROM THE SECOND FLOOR LANDING)

Maggie is halfway up the stairs as DAPHNE BUDD,
       Elizabeth's secretary, comes downstairs.  She carries
       ledger books.  They meet on the landing.

8      CONTD                                        CONTD 8

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 3/Scene 8 - Maggie: 'Daphne, have you seen David?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 3/Scene 8 - Daphne: 'No.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to the dialogue, both quotes are delivered exactly as scripted. (Considering that in NoDS there was often a great deal of variation from the scripted dialogue, it'll be quite interesting to see how much variation there is in hoDS. But then, in her chapter for the DS Movie Book, Kate Jackson specifically mentions that on NoDS DC made changes as they rehearsed scenes and that they "were not married to every single word in the script" - so that explains it and is pretty much as understatement, as we definitely saw in the NoDS topic.)

And when it comes to the descriptions and directions, though it's a minor point, rather than meeting on the landing, as we can see in today's captures -

- Maggie and Daphne actually meet on the stairs.