Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 118167 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
(I remember when I first toured the house in 1990, the tour guide pointed out the broken floor tile in front of the foyer where Mrs. Johnson dropped the silver tray in the previous movie.)

I don't think I've ever heard that the tile floor was broken while shooting that hoDS scene. I bet the Lyndhurst staff were furious. Though DC got permission to use the house again for NoDS. I guess the National Trust for Historic Preservation figured the money MGM would pay to use it again was more than worth it.  [wink2]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Has it been repaired?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 190, beginning with yesterday's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'Are you going to try and tell me that you don't know what you did tonight?'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

Quentin starts down the stairs toward him.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'I didn't do a damn thing. I've been painting all evening. Now, for the last time, what are you so hysterical about?'

- comes up.

And as far as any differences in the dialogue go, Alex actually says "Are you gonna try and tell me you don't know what you did tonight?" - and Quentin's actual reply is "I didn't do a damn thing. I've been painting all night. Now, what are you so upset about?", with the "for the last time" part dropped, "evening" changed to "night", and "hysterical" changed to "upset".

And as far as any any differences in the descriptions and directions go, ever since Alex tells Quentin that he didn't succeed, Quentin has actually been seen coming down the stairs -

- while also buttoning his shirt  - and I absolutely love the look of fascination and, dare we say, excitement on Carlotta's face as Alex asks Quentin if he's going to try -

- to say that he doesn't know what he did - and when it comes to Quentin's claim that he was "painting" all night, would the fact that he's buttoning his shirt betray the possibility that he might have been doing more than simply painting?  [naughty]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Has it been repaired?

I really don't know.  I never thought to look at it the other two times I was there.  But as I recall, it wasn't serious damage.  Anybody just casually looking around wouldn't even notice it.  Just a cracked or chipped tile or two, I believe.

I think the Lockwood-Mathews staff were more upset with DC's crew, from what I heard from the tour guide there.  They painted the basement, which apparently wasn't in the agreement, and they broke a marble vanity in an upstairs bathroom.  I wonder if they felt they didn't need to be as careful at Lockwood-Mathews, since (IIRC) the house wasn't giving tours then and wasn't as far along in its restoration.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 190, beginning with yesterday's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'You tried to drown Tracy!'

Quentin stares incredulously at him as Alex continues.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'It wasn't you, Quentin. It was Charles Collins drowning his wife all over again.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

CARLOTTA
   Mr. Collins, you're not going
   to listen to this, are you?

And as far as any differences in the dialogue go, Alex actually says "Quentin it wasn't you. It was Charles Collins drowning his --" - and Carlotta's line is completely dropped in favor of Quentin cutting off Alex with an unscripted -

"Alex, you don't --"

And as far as any any differences in the descriptions and directions go, there nothing to get into so far as what's written in the script, but what's obvious from the capture above is that Quentin turns away from Alex after Alex brings up Charles.

And what's interesting about Grayson script is that she made notations for her dropped line. She wrote that when Alex accuses Quentin of trying to drown Tracy, Carlotta would laugh as if it's the most absurd thing she's ever heard - and quite possibly in addition to the dropped line, Carlotta would actually say "That's absurd" - and speaking of the actual dropped line, Grayson changed "listen" to "listening", which doesn't work with the way the line is written in the script, so apparently she also planned at least one other change but didn't write it down.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 190, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 89/Scene 190 - Alex: 'For God's sake, Quentin! Will you listen to me! She's at my place with Claire right now. Now you've got to get out of this house!'

Quentin looks from Alex to Carlotta and then turns
       away as if trying to clear his mind.  TRUCK IN ON HIS
       CLOSE-UP as we see his total confusion.  HOLD FOR A

190    CONTD                                       CONTD  190

MOMENT as Alex ENTERS THE SHOT, putting his hand on
       Quentin's shoulder.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 90/Scene 190 - Alex (softly): 'All you have to do is come with me -- Tracy understands.'

- comes up.

And as far as any differences in the dialogue go, Alex actually says "For Christ sakes, would you listen to me! Now she's at my place right now. Now you've got to get out of this house!" - and then he adds a "Quentin" before delivering the second quote as scripted.

And as far as any differences in the descriptions and directions go, nothing happens as it's scripted - Quentin doesn't look from Alex to Carlotta nor turn away as if trying to clear his mind, mostly because he's already turned away and he doesn't turn back - and as is obvious in today's first capture, the camera doesn't truck in on a close-up of Quentin -

- because things remain in a 2 shot of Quentin and Alex, though we do see Quentin's total confusion - and the camera doesn't hold for a moment as Alex enters the shot because he never leaves it - and as we can see in today's second capture, Ales doesn't -

- put his hand on Quentin's shoulder, though he does move in closer to Quentin before he delivers his version of today's second quote.

Also, it's interesting that in a GP rated film they got away with John Karlen changing "For God's sake" to "For Christ sakes" - though not as interesting as an unscripted ad lib that he'll make in an upcoming scene...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Holy Hell, today's shot of Carlotta and Gerard is totally awesome!  Excellent work, MB!

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks, I thought you might like it.  [hall2_wink]

And actually, there are two quotes for today's slideshow, so if you haven't already, be sure to click on the "Get quote" button to see the second capture.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Thanks!  Love them both!  For some reason, the first photo was displaying with Carlotta's line for the second capture.

Best, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
In certain browsers that sometimes happens the first time someone clicks the "Get quote" button - but it usually fixes itself if you click the button again...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing with more of Scene 190, beginning with Quentin's reaction to Alex telling him that Tracy understands:

Quentin turns and looks at him hard.  Then he turns to
       Carlotta.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 90/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'Where is Mrs. Collins?'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 90/Scene 190 - Carlotta: 'I'm sure she's in her room, sir.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to any differences in the dialogue, Quentin actually asks "Where's Mrs. Collins?" - and Carlotta's response is simply "Well, I'm sure she's in her room", with addressing Quentin as "sir" dropped once again.

And when it comes to any differences in the descriptions and directions go, Quentin doesn't actually turn to look hard at Alex - he does, however, turn toward Carlotta, which then prompts Alex to turn to her as well - and can I just say that I absolutely love the butter wouldn't melt in her mouth look of innocence on Carlotta's face -

before she tells Quentin that she's sure Tracy is in her room!! And Grayson has a notation in her script that Carlotta should deliver that line with a where else would she be demeanor, which is exactly how it comes across.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Holy Hell, today's shot of Carlotta and Gerard is totally awesome!

For those who may have missed the 30th's installment, here they are so you'll know what was being talked about:

Page 90/Scene 190 - Quentin: 'Where is Mrs. Collins?

Page 90/Scene 190 - Carlotta: 'I'm sure she's in her room, sir.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 190 and moving on:

Quentin looks at Alex, then suddenly turns and starts
       up the stairs, three at a time.

QUENTIN
                      (screaming)
                 Tracy!  Tracy!

Alex starts up after him.

190A   INT - SECOND FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT -              190A
       REVERSE ANGLE

as Quentin comes charging TOWARD CAMERA and bounds up
       the stairs to the Master Bedroom.

191    INT - MASTER BEDROOM - NIGHT                       191

With an empty bed in the F.G., Quentin explodes into
       the room.  TRUCK IN TO HIS CLOSE-UP as he looks.
       Quickly, he turns, runs down the stairs.

191A   INT - SECOND FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT                191A

In the F.G. of the SHOT, Quentin stands, his back to
       CAMERA, staring at Alex, who stands at the far end
       of the corridor at the top of the stairs.

QUENTIN - TRUCKING SHOT

as he starts toward Alex, CAMERA TRUCKS BACKWARD in
       front of him, HOLDING HIM IN CLOSE-UP.

191A   CONTD                                       CONTD  191A

ALEX - QUENTIN

as Quentin stops directly in front of Alex and looks
       down at him.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin (quietly): 'You're right. She's gone. So she's left me. If that's the way she wants it, fine.'

Alex puts his hand on Quentin's elbow.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Alex: 'Quentin, that's not...'

- comes up.

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, what Quentin actually says to Alex is "You're right. She's gone. If that's the way she wants it, it's fine with me", with the "So she's left me" part dropped - and Alex nods his head no before he actually says "Quentin, that's not you...".

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, with the close of Scene 190, after Carlotta says she's sure Tracy is in her room, Quentin doesn't actually look at Alex and then suddenly turn to start up the stairs because, rather, he immediately whirls around to -

- look up the stairs (and I love the expression on Carlotta's face as she studies him as he does so) - and then in close-up -

- that instantly zooms back to a long shot of the foursome -

- Quentin screams out the first scripted "Tracy!", which echoes - and it's only after that that Quentin runs up the stairs, though not three at a time, and screams out the second "Tracy!" - however, we do not see Alex start up after Quentin - and with Scene 191, there is no truck in to a close-up of Quentin because things simply remain with the empty bed in the foreground -

- and Quentin in the doorway before he turns to leave, upon which we do not see him run down the stairs from the bedroom - and with Scene 191A, rather than seeing Quentin's back to the camera as he stares at Alex standing at the far end of the corridor at the top of the stairs, at first we see a gratuitous shot of Quentin's butt -

- (though I'm sure there were many in the audience who enjoyed that [wink2]), which soon switches to a shot of Quentin's hand which he then -

- clenches before he begins to make his way to Alex, which is indeed shot as the camera trucks backward in front of him as it holds him in close-up, but the camera also switches to a hand-held shot of Alex as Quentin moves closer and closer -

- to him, until Quentin finally reaches him and we see the 2 shot of them as in today's captures - and as we can easily see from today's second capture, Alex is not seen to -

- put his hand on Quentin's elbow, nor does it appear that he even does so.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 191A and moving on to the next scene:

Quentin pulls his arm away.

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin: 'Alex, I've known you for a long time. But listen to me. I'm sick of your insane writer's mind. Don't ask me anymore questions. Don't bug me anymore. Just get out of here.'

Alex looks at him.

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 91/Scene 191A - Quentin: 'And take her with you --'

WIDEN as Alex turns, knowing there is nothing else
       he can say.  HOLD ON THIS as Quentin stands there.
       Alex starts down the stairs, passing Carlotta, who
       stands on the middle landing watching him.  As Alex
       continues down to the first floor, Gerard comes to
       him, trying to hurry him along.  Alex shakes him
       off, and EXITS THE SHOT.

ALEX
                 Take your bloody hands off me --

191B   HOLD ON the three of them as the SOUND of the      191B
       front door can be heard.  There is a moment when no
       one moves.  Then finally, Quentin starts down the
       stairs.  As he reaches the middle landing, he looks
       at Carlotta with hatred in his eyes.  Carlotta knows
       not to speak to him.  He continues down to the first
       floor and stops, looking down the hall where Alex
       exited.  He then crosses into the Card Room where
       he picks up a bottle of brandy and pours himself a
       drink.  Carlotta follows him in as Gerard remains in
       the hall.

End of scene though not end of sequence...

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, what Quentin actually says to Alex is "Alex. Now listen to me. I've known you for a long time. I'm sick of your insane writer's mind. I don't wanna talk about it anymore. I just want you to get out of here and take her with you --", with the "Don't ask me anymore questions. Don't bug me anymore" part reworked and the "And take her with you --" part incorporated without any separation - and after that Alex simply nods his head - however, for reasons that will become clear in the next section, Alex' "Take your bloody hands off me --" is completely dropped in the film.

And when it comes to the differences in the descriptions and directions, in Scene 191A, Quentin doesn't pull his arm away from Alex before he tells Alex he's sick of him, he wants him to get out, and he wants Alex to take Tracy with him, and that's because, as we got into yesterday, in the film Alex never touches Quentin in the first place - and there's no point where Alex' reaction to what Quentin says to him is to simply look at him because in the film there's no pause between Quentin's first and second quoted dialogue - and the camera shot doesn't widen as Alex turns away from Quentin - nor does the camera hold on Quentin because as soon as Alex turns away he immediately starts down the stairs - and as Alex approaches Carlotta on the middle landing, I love the momentary and slight smile -

- that Carlotta flashes - and as Alex rounds the railing to the next set of stairs, he -

- looks up in Quentin's direction - and as Alex continues down to the first floor, Gerard doesn't actually come to him to try to hurry him along, so, obviously, nor does Alex shake him off - we simply see Alex pass by Gerard, who isn't actually still down on the first floor -

- but standing up about midway on the first set of stairs, and then Alex exits the shot - and the camera holds on Carlotta and Gerard as he puts a smile on his face -

- and with Scene 191B, we do see a shot of Quentin, Carlotta, and Gerard as the sound of Alex' footsteps and the front door closing can be heard, however we only see Quentin-

- from the back - and as Quentin begins to descend the stairs, similar to the way things were shot while Quentin approached Alex, we actaully see a hand-held shot of Carlotta as Quentin moves closer and closer  -

- before he reaches the middle landing and looks at Carlotta with hatred - and just after Carlotta enters the Card Room while Quentin gets his drink, she turns to look back out into the corridor -

- in the direction of Gerard.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
LOVE Grayson's dress!