Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 116887 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wonder if this was supposed to be the ghost of the servant girl that was mentioned earlier in the slideshow. I don't think that it could be Angelique, as I think that she would have been identified as such in the script, if not on film.

Very shortly an answer to that will be coming in a scene in the script that only appears in the 129 minute version of the film.  [ghost_smiley]

And before we get back to the script, I want to share the following candid production still that I made reference to back when we were dealing with Scene 69(the picnic). It's of David Selby, Kate Jackson and John Karlen taking a break from shooting the scenes at the greenhouse:

And one of the interesting things about what Karlen is doing is that he had never ridden a bicycle before he did so for the scenes for NoDS, so he practiced a lot before shooting so he wouldn't look ridiculous. Of course, if the film had been shot today, they could have just put training wheels on the bike and then taken them out in post.  [ghost_wink]  But that sort of technology wasn't available back in 1971.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am very much looking forward to that scene, MB.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 109 and moving beyond to wrap up the sequence:

ALEX - CLOSE-UP

as he gets to his feet, brushing himself off, he
       knows he was a lucky man.  In the B.G., Tracy has
       seen it happen and now rides her horse toward him,
       dismounting by the door.

And that's when the first part of yesterday's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'Alex! Are you all right?'

- comes up, followed by the script indicating:

He nods and crosses to her.

And that's when the second part of yesterday's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Tracy: 'What happened?'

- comes up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 49/Scene 109 - Alex: (taking a beat) 'I was exploring and I guess I shouldn't have been. The whole place fell down.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

CUT TO:

110    EXT - GREENHOUSE - DAY                            110

as Alex wheels his bike.  They walk toward her
       horse.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 49/Scene 110 - Alex: 'What's new, Trace?'

- comes up, followed by the script explaining:

She hesitates, then decides to tell him.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 49/Scene 110 - Tracy: 'Something...very strange happened last night and I'm worried about it.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

He looks at her as she begins to tell him

And so far as any differences in the dialogue go, in Scene 109 Tracy's "Alex! Are you all right?" is actually delivered off camera - and to that Alex responds with an unscripted "Stay out of here, honey" - and Scene 110 actually begins with Tracy asking "What happened" - and to that Alex actually responds with an unscripted "What happened?" before he actually adds "I was exploring. I guess I shouldn't have been. Then the whole place fell down" - and after Alex asks her what's new, Tracy actually replies with "Something sort of funny happened last night, Alex. I'm a little worried about it" - to which Alex responds with an unscripted "Come on, tell me about it" - and Tracy begins an unscripted explanation with "Well, I don't know exactly. I woke up late and I looked for Quentin. He wasn't there. So I, I went to the tower room..."

And so far as any differences in the directions and descriptions go, we don't actually get a close-up of Alex after he gets to the ground so much as we get -

- a low angle shot of him on the ground - and we don't actually see Tracy riding her horse in the background because there's a full on shot of Tracy riding across the field toward the greenhouse -

- and after dismounting running toward the direction of the greenhouse -

- and apparently Ulysses is one smart horse because even though Tracy left him just past the field when she ran toward the greenhouse, he knew enough to follow her to the entrance to the greenhouse where he's waiting -

- when Tracy and Alex come out - so, as can be seen in today's first capture, Tracy, Alex and Ulysses don't actually have to go far -

- to retrieve Alex' bike, as opposed to the script having Alex wheel his bike as they walk toward the horse  - and it isn't so much that Alex simply looks at Tracy because Tracy takes Ulysses reins and pulls him behind her as she and Alex walk away from the greenhouse as she -

- begins to explain what happened with Quentin.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am very much looking forward to that scene, MB.

Circle June 21st on your calendar.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up the new scene (and once again the version in Grayson's script is different from the one in DC's (for one, in Grayson's version the scene takes place in Collinwood's library) - but we're going to wait until all of DC's version has been presented before we go back to Grayson's version):

CUT TO:

111    EXT - RAILROAD BRIDGE - DAY                      111

As Quentin leans over the guard rail, Alex
       hovers over him, telling him what happened at
       the Greenhouse.  Quentin looks quickly at him,
       disbelief on his face.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'You were a fool ever to go in there...'

- comes up.

And so far as any differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, at this point we can't compare the script to the film because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. However, we can get into DC's notations for the scene, and they indicate that at the beginning of the scene Alex and Quentin are being shot in a 2 shot. Though, as we've learned from scenes that are in the shorter versions of the film, we can't necessarily expect that all of DC's notations are the ways in which the scene actually plays.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 111, beginning with Sunday's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'I told you. I saw someone in a long white dress.'

- coming up, followed by Monday's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Your imagination is getting the best of you.'

- coming up, followed by today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'No it didn't. I saw Angelique and she tried to kill me.'

- coming up.

And so far as any differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, at this point we can't compare the script to the film because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. However, DC's script has changes to Alex' quote for today. In the script "No it didn't" is crossed out and Alex' lines are indicated as "All right, Quentin - I'll tell you what. I really saw Angelique and she tried to kill me." And we can also get into DC's notations for the scene, which first indicate that when Alex starts those lines the camera cuts to his close-up (from the previous 2 shot) - and then after Alex says Angelique's name, the camera cuts to a close-up of Quentin. Though, as we've learned from scenes in the shorter versions of the film, we can't necessarily expect that all of DC's notations are the ways in which the scenes in the film actually play.

And when it comes to how Alex saw Angelique, if one blows up the scene of the figure walking toward the greenhouse, one can sort of deduce that the figure is Angelique -

- and it is somewhat odd that the script doesn't identify her specifically - but Sam Hall and DC are quite possibly the only ones who know why. But be that as it may, I have to say that one of my favorite candid stills of Parker as Angelique is the one that appears on the back of the VHS box:

And that box may be the only place it's ever been published. Or if there has been another place, I don't honestly remember where...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Very interesting, MB, and certainly worth waiting for. Is this one of the few appearances that Angelique makes in the daylight [spoiler]prior to the twist at the end[/spoiler]?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 111, beginning with yesterday's quote, Quentin's reaction to Alex insisting Angelique tried to kill him -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'God damn it! That's impossible.'

- coming up, followed by today's quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Quentin, she had a reason to stop me. I found out alot about your family. You already know about Charles Collins. But do the name's Gabriel and Laura mean anything to you?'

- coming up.

And so far as any differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, at this point we can't compare the script to the film because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. However, we can get into DC's notations, and in this section of the scene they indicate that after Quentin says it's impossible and before Alex begins to explain how Angelique had reason to stop him, the camera switches from a close-up of Quentin to a 2 shot. Though, as we've learned from scenes in the shorter versions of the film, we can't necessarily blah, blah, blah, blah.

And yes, both "alot" and "name's" are misspelled that way in the script...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very interesting, MB, and certainly worth waiting for. Is this one of the few appearances that Angelique makes in the daylight [spoiler]prior to the twist at the end[/spoiler]?

I believe it is. Though there's some controversy about[spoiler]the ending on the film and the way a certain aspect of the ending is described in the script.[/spoiler]But we'll get into that after the ending of the script comes up...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's a beautiful photo of Angelique from this scene.  Thanks, MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 111, beginning with yesterday's first quote, Quentin's reaction to Alex asking if the names Gabriel and Laura mean anything to him -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Why should they?'

- coming up, followed by yesterday's second quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Because of those little...day dreams of yours.'

- coming up, followed by today's first quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Quentin: 'Those daydreams don't mean a thing.'

- coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 50/Scene 111 - Alex: 'Yesterday, you said you wanted to talk about them.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to any differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions, at this point we can't compare the script to the film because this scene only appears in the 129 minute version of the film. And DC didn't make any notations for this section of the scene, so supposedly the camera continues with a 2 shot. Though, as we've learned from scenes in the shorter versions of the film, we can't necessarily blah, blah, blah, blah.

And yes, in the script daydreams is incorrectly spelled as "day dreams" in Alex' line...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I wish I could remember if the surviving footage of this sequence was among the bits screened by Darren Gross at a DS Festival I attended sometime around 2005.  (I think that was the same occasion when I saw the existing cut of the rejected WB pilot.)  I remember a scene where Carlotta brings a breakfast tray to Quentin and Tracy's bedroom (which obviously follows on a scene that's in the regular release cut), the piano scene, and the seance scene. Don't recall this one.

Holding onto the ever more unlikely hope that someday we'll all get to see the restored cut.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up] You're not the only one who couldn't remember exactly what Darren showed in 2004 in Tarrytown. But the funny thing is that just the other day I came across this topic:
Darren's NoDS Presentation
And thanks to you I now remember.  [ghost_cool]

(And BTW, only a few clips of the '04 pilot were shown in Tarrytown. The entire pilot debuted in LA in '05.  [ghost_smiley])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Doing a bit more digging through older '04 topics, thanks to a post from ProfStokes, I think I may have discovered an answer to this:

A portion of Scene 84 in the script:

He starts to look for something
       and, moving a trunk to a better position, discovers
       that it was concealing a built-in wall cupboard.
       Obviously, it hasn't been opened in years.  Opening
       it, he sees a stack of canvases.  He takes one out.
       It is a portrait of Angelique and is signed:  "Charles
       Collins, 1800."  Quentin is amazed.  He takes out
       others.  They are all of Angelique.  Then he comes
       to an unfinished one.

And my comments:

... And when he discovers the cupboard and opens it, he doesn't take out any paintings other than the unfinished one, which he carries over to his easel so as, as can be seen in the following capture -

- to get a better look (though given there's an obvious cut in the background music, it would definitely seem as if something was cut from the scene that took place between the time Quentin discovers the hidden paintings and the time he takes out the unfinished one) ...

And ProfStokes' post relates because here's a portion of her listing of the recovered footage that was shown:

..., Quentin discovering a sketch that Charles had made of Angelique, ...