Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 117326 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing with Scene 113, beginning with today's first quote: Alex' reply to Tracy asking how can some of the answers they're looking for be in the Tower Room -

Page 53/Scene 113 - Alex: 'I don't know...think you could get in there?'

- coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 53/Scene 113 - Tracy: 'He keeps it locked and I'd rather not try.'

- coming up.

And so far as any possible differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, we'll probably never know because blah, blah, blah.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 113 and moving beyond, first with Alex' scripted reaction to Tracy saying she'd rather not try to get into the Tower room:

He thinks for a moment longer.

And that's when the first part of today's quote -

Page 53/Scene 113 - Alex: 'OK...forget it.'

- comes up, followed by the script continuing with:

He climbs onto his bike and gives her a kiss on the
       cheek and as he is about to peddle away:

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 53/Scene 113 - Alex: 'Tracy, I want you to be careful.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

113    CONTD                                    CONTD   113

She looks at him questioningly.

And that's when the third part of today's quote -

Page 54/Scene 113 - Alex (Contd): 'Just be careful...keep an eye on him and if anything else happens, call me.'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

114    He EXITS THE SHOT.  CAMERA TRUCKS IN ON TRACY.  Then
       as she crosses out toward the house, RACK FOCUS TO
       CARLOTTA at the stairwell window.

End of sequence.

And so far as any possible differences in the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, we'll probably never know because these scenes don't appear blah, blah, blah. And that's really too bad because I can just imagine the expression on Carlotta's face.

However, beginning with tomorrow's quote, the slideshow will be getting back into material that actually does appear in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to today's new scene:

CUT TO:

115    INT - GALLERY - DAY                              115

Quentin is in the room when she ENTERS.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 54/Scene 115 - Quentin: 'You didn't tell Alex about...my attacking you last night.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, the changes are written into DC's script because he has notations that when Tracy enters the room she says "Hello" to Quentin - and today's quote is completely crossed out in the script and replaced with Quentin replying "Hi. I want to thank you for not telling Alex everything."

And when it comes to differences in the directions and descriptions, even though DC has a notation that Tracy doesn't cross to Quentin until after he thanks her, what actually happens in that Tracy silently enters the room, smiles, crosses to where Quentin is sitting, kneels beside him, and then says hello - and as can be seen in today's capture -

- Quentin takes Tracy's hand in his when he thanks her.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 115 with today's quote, Tracy's response to Quentin remark -

Page 54/Scene 115 - Tracy: 'No...I couldn't...I just couldn't. You weren't yourself.'

- coming up.

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, what Tracy actually says is "Well, I couldn't do that. You weren't yourself", and all but the addition of the "Well" is indicated in DC's script. So now, not only is Quentin keeping secrets, but so is Tracy - but more on that below...

And when it comes to differences in the directions and descriptions, DC's script has a notation that Tracy and Quentin kiss before she delivers today's line, but that doesn't actually happen in the film, quite possibly because they decided that a kiss there would only be compounding the lie more. However, as can be seen in the following capture -

- Tracy does kiss Quentin on the hand after she says he wasn't himself.

And the change in Quentin's line to saying he's thankful that Tracy didn' tell Alex everything got me to speculating as to whether or not Tracy did tell Alex everything. When I first saw NoDS I presumed she'd told him everything - but at that point I knew nothing about Scene 111 and Alex' fears that Tracy could be in danger. But if Tracy had told him about Quentin attacking her, wouldn't Alex' fears about her being in danger have played more forcefully in Scene 111 than they do, in either version of that scene? Now I suspect that perhaps Tracy did hold back at least on that account and Alex' fears for her were solely based on what he'd learned from his research.

When it comes to Quentin and Tracy, neither of them seem to be telling the entire truth to anyone, and that's the start of sending them down a road that will not end well...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It seems a bit odd to me that Tracy chooses to confide in Alex instead of Claire. I get the impression that she and Quentin haven't been married all that long and that Alex and Claire were Quentin's friends first. Not to be sexist but it would balance the movie a bit better if there was a corresponding scene with Quentin and Claire. As it is, Claire is the least defined of the four "good" characters and the film would not suffer if the character had been omitted. (Tough for me to write since I adore Nancy Barrett.)
Also, given Quentin's volatile nature during this part of the movie, it is sonewhat surprising that he doesn't become as aggressively jealous towards Alex as he had been with Gerard
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I agree with you that having Claire more involved would have been much nicer. Just like you, I love Nancy's work. Though the sad thing is that when the script gave Claire material in which Tracy confides in her about Quentin (Scenes 81 & 82), DC decided that he wasn't even going to shoot them, much less include them in the film. Plus DC also left the scene of Quentin, Alex, Tracy and Claire discussing Angelique in the gallery (Scene 87) on the cutting room floor. So, sad to say, I have a strong impression that even if the script had had Claire more involved, DC wouldn't have used it, either by not shooting it or leaving it on the cutting room floor.

And as for Alex, it's established in the never shot Scene 82 that Alex and Quentin have always been really close, something Charles and Gabriel apparently never were, so that may be why Quentin never sees Alex as a rival. And as far as Alex vs. Gerard goes, all but one oblique reference to Gerard having been Angelique's ghost's lover before Quentin shows up never made it into the film. It would have been much clearer why Quentin singles out Gerard as Gabriel's counterpart if they had - not to mention it would have also been much clearer as to why Gerard goes after Tracy (as revenge for Quentin replacing him in Angelique's, uh, affections) -  but no! Character stuff is not where DC's priorities lied.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Character stuff is not where DC's priorities lied.

That speaks volumes.

As ill defined as Claire is in the final film, I still find her and Alex to be more interesting and engaging characters than Quentin and Tracy, which harms the film for me.
If Quentin had erupted in jealousy over Alex (When did you suddenly become such good friends with my wife), it would have established Quentin's problems earlier and perhaps led Tracy to be more proactive. As it is, she is somewhat unfocused as a "final girl".
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though the way the script and even the film plays, Quentin is unaware that Alex and Tracy are acting behind his back so he would have no reason to confront/question Alex. He thinks Tracy didn't tell Alex everything and that most of Alex' info came from his research. Apparently all Quentin knows is that while she was out riding Tracy witnessed Alex' near miss with the falling greenhouse roof and she told him about Quentin attacking Gerard.

And as for Quentin and Tracy themselves, I do enjoy them, but a large part of that could be that I find both actors engaging. But I can see why others may not engaged with them to the same degree that I do because, as the DS Companion laments, there could be more scenes in the film of them being seen as a happy couple. But sadly, nearly all of those scenes were sacrificed because of the enforced cuts. But surprisingly enough, DC had originally left only one of them on the cutting room floor (Scene 46). If one day we ever do get to see a restored NoDS, it will be great to see all the happy couple stuff that was sacrificed...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
There was no discussion of the NODS restoration in Tarrytown, at least when I was around. Does it seem that the project is dormant?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 115 with the script continuing with:

He looks at her.

QUENTIN
          I'm glad you didn't.  Thanks.

Carlotta ENTERS with the ice tray.

Page 54/Scene 115 - Quentin: 'Carlotta. Good. I've decided not to use the tower as a studio anymore.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, as is obvious, Quentin's lines about being glad and thanking Tracy, as well as saying "Good" after Carlotta enters were all dropped - and DC has a notation in his script that Quentin's line addressing Carlotta would begin with an "Oh..." before he says her name, but Quentin doesn't say that either.

And when it comes to differences in the directions and descriptions, Carlotta doesn't enter with an ice tray because what she actually does after she comes in is open the ice bucket, take out some ice cubes, and put them in a glass before Quentin addresses her. Getting a cocktail for herself after having witnessed Alex interfering?  [wink2]

And speaking of Carlotta's attitude after she sees Tracy and Alex together and when she enters the Gallery, Grayson's script has a notation that Carlotta doesn't like how much they know and she wonders what they're conspiring?  But so far as the film goes the audience was never likely to pick up on that subtext because Scene 114 isn't even in any version of the film. And also, given that Scene 111 isn't in the film as it currently stands, the audience comes away thinking that Quentin made the decision to abandon working in the Tower Room all on his own.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
NoDS Scene 115
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2016, 06:44:51 AM »
Grayson looks divine in her green lacy dress in today's montage!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Grayson made notes in her script where she explains that when Carlotta touches the locket like that, it means something to do with Angelique's spirit--it might even be called an act of communion between Carlotta and the spirit.  The notes implied that this was the original base of Angelique's enhanced awareness of, and activity in the physical world.  This is what it means towards the end when John Karlen's character has a line implying that Carlotta was "keeping Angelique's spirit alive."  It's too bad that that line makes no sense at all in the film as chopped up for the final edit, unless you have really extraordinary powers of connecting seemingly random dots.

Great screen capture of this moment!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Grayson made notes in her script where she explains that when Carlotta touches the locket like that, it means something to do with Angelique's spirit--it might even be called an act of communion between Carlotta and the spirit.

Yes, a lot of those notes are fascinating - though in the scenes so far I don't recall getting into much of it (there was a brief reference to the locket back in Scene 33 when Carlotta explains Angelique's portrait:
and Grayson's script has a notation about the locket Carlotta is wearing, and as can be seen in the following capture (which is cropped and enlarged from the actual moment on screen) -

- Carlotta is indeed toying with it (though no one has yet to know the significance of that act)
). But if I recall correctly, some of those notes are actually on the cover page of Grayson's script rather than associated with specific scenes.

Great screen capture of this moment!
Grayson looks divine in her green lacy dress in today's montage!

Thanks.  [ghost_smiley]  I try to get the best moment for each quote.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Scene 115 continues in the script, beginning with Tracy's reaction to Quentin's decision not to use the tower:

TRACY
     (delighted)
Quentin!

Page 54/Scene 115 - Carlotta: 'You said you were painting so well there.'

- comes up.

And when it comes to differences in the dialogue, in the film Tracy doesn't actually say Quentin's name with delight because, as can be seen in the following capture -

- she simply makes a happy sound and turns to him with delight - and what Carlotta actually says is "But you said you were working so well there" - and what really interesting is that Grayson has a note that Carlotta is aiming that at Tracy more so than Quentin.

And when it comes to differences in the directions and descriptions, there aren't any in this section of the scene.

However, in Grayson's script she has notations that Carlotta wonders why Quentin has made the decision not to work in the Tower Room, she feels as if the world may break apart, she shows a trace of that reaction but then covers it up, and in that moment she decides to get rid of Tracy.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I do love the scene where Carlotta tells Tracy that it would perhaps be best for her to leave HER OWN HOME... "... IF you can!"  LOL.

Maybe it's time to finally order the DVD...

G.