Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 117482 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 234:

QUENTIN - CLOSE-UP

as his eyes roll back and he topples from the chair.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 108/Scene 234 - Tracy (O.S.): 'Quentin!'

comes up, followed in the script by:

WIDEN as the three of them jump to his side.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 108/Scene 234 - Carlotta (still hysterical): 'Get out of this house! Take him with you if you must, but get out!'

comes up.

And along with Grayson having another note in her script saying that at this point Carlotta is feeling rage, she crosses "must" out of Carlotta's dialogue and replaces it with "have to". Sacrilege in the DS universe to ever drop an instance of saying "must" - but if it does play that way in the 129 minute version of the film, I suppose we'll just have to learn to live with it.  [santa_wink]

And if Alex does indeed jump to Quentin's side in the 129 minute version, it will be interesting because for some reason I've only seen stills of Claire and Tracy at Quentin's side.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

And if Alex does indeed jump to Quentin's side in the 129 minute version, it will be interesting because for some reason I've only seen stills of Claire and Tracy at Quentin's side.

You are correct.  As filmed, Claire and Tracy jump to Quentin's aide, while Alex stand up to confront Carlotta then chases after her when she runs off.

...and Yes, that photo you posted of the Quentin with candles on the previous page IS the shot I was talking about- when you can see it full frame, you can see the mason-work on the ceiling near the staircase.  It's from the scene where the group separates.  Wish we had more!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oops - I forgot that I also wanted to post this photo:

Not that it's from the dream (Darren believes it's a behind the scenes still from Scene 85), but to me it seems very odd. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like Angelique doesn't have any ankles/feet?!

I must have misspoke or malapropped- this image is definitely a behind the scenes shot from this poolhouse dream sequence...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
...and Yes, that photo you posted of the Quentin with candles on the previous page IS the shot I was talking about- when you can see it full frame, you can see the mason-work on the ceiling near the staircase.  It's from the scene where the group separates.

Now I really want to know what in the world I did with it!!

Or maybe it ran off with the version of Quentin and the skeleton that shows more of the skeleton, and they're very happy together somewhere...  [santa_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Picking up Scene 234 where we left off:

234    CONTD                                      CONTD  234

Quentin is out cold, as the girls work on him.

Alex stands to face Carlotta.

Page 109/Scene 234 - Alex (calling to her): 'Let go of her, Carlotta! You have no right to hold her back.'

comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 109/Scene 234 - Carlotta: 'No! -- no!'

coming up.

And Grayson has yet more notes for this and upcoming moments in the scene, but I'm going to wait until tomorrow's quotes to get into them.

And interestingly enough, the only way I could get something from the seance to use of Alex for today's first graphic -

- was to pull a frame from one of the trailers and crop it for the graphic (and unfortunately it's from a camera zoom - and to make things worse, he's turning his head - so that's why his face isn't completely clear). I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen even one still of Alex from the seance sequence, whereas I have several featuring Quentin, Tracy, Carlotta, and/or Claire...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
"The girls work on" Quentin...

I'm just imagining the stampede here if somehow Dan Curtis were to appear and bark, "OK, ladies, I need a coupla girls to WORK ON Quentin Collins.  Anyone up for that?"

Curtis might not even have time to put his cigarillo down before the mob trampled him...

I just love this thread!!

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

I'm just imagining the stampede here if somehow Dan Curtis were to appear and bark, "OK, ladies, I need a coupla girls to WORK ON Quentin Collins.  Anyone up for that?"

Curtis might not even have time to put his cigarillo down before the mob trampled him...

It's almost on a par with Barnabas telling Angelique to make Quentin rise! [santa_evil]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

G.

Ha!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 234, beginning with today's first quote -

Page 109/Scene 234 - Alex: 'You must let her go!'

coming up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 109/Scene 234 - Carlotta: 'Never! I will never let her go!'

coming up, followed in the script by:

Suddenly Carlotta runs from the balcony as Alex,
looking at the girls, makes his decision and runs
after Carlotta.

End of scene.

And when it comes to Grayson's notes, I'm not sure exactly what she was thinking, but encapsulating the dialogue from Alex telling Carlotta to let Angelique go because she has no right to hold her back through Carlotta saying she never will, Grayson writes "Proof it's got to be both ways" - and she also writes that Carlotta is looking for Angelique and must find her because she can't lose her - and it's not clear, but it could easily be interpreted that Grayson adds calling out to Angelique twice to the end of Carlotta's dialogue as she runs from the balcony.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I haven't looked at my own photocopy of Grayson's script in a long time, but my memory of her notation for this sequence is that she interpreted Carlotta's action as "proving" that only if both Quentin AND Carlotta released, or let go of the spirit of Angelique, would the latter truly fade away into eternal rest (or whatever awaits a soul after death).

I thought she wrote "Proof that it's got to be both ways," but again, I haven't pulled out my photocopy to check--maybe Darren will have something to contribute.  If I find it, I will update here.

Best,  G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I thought she wrote "Proof that it's got to be both ways,"

She did - but I accidentally left out the word. It's there now, though. And the word "both" within the simple context of what Grayson highlighted is what I found the slightest bit confusing. But your explanation makes a good deal of sense within the whole context of what's happening...

I also forgot to mention that for the original NoDS slideshow, I used a different graphic for the following lines:

NoDS: Scene #234 - Alex: 'Let go of her, Carlotta! You have no right
to hold her back.'

I figured it was just as valid to show Claire and Tracy reacting to Alex and Carlotta as it was showing Alex because at least in part it's that way in the film as well. Plus, as I said, I don't have any stills of Alex...

It's also worth noting that unlike how the script says Quentin "topples" from his chair, it appears that he simply passes out in his chair...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And before we move on to the next installment in the slideshow, we need to deal with a few scenes in the script:

235    INT - SECOND FLOOR - CORRIDOR - NIGHT             235

as Alex EXITS the gallery and runs TOWARD CAMERA.
       PAN WITH HIM as he takes the stairs three at a time.

236    INT - THIRD FLOOR CORRIDOR - NIGHT                236

as Alex bounds up the stairs and looks about, he
       notices the tower door open.  PAN WITH HIM as he
       runs up the stairs.

237    INT - TOWER ROOM - NIGHT                          237

as Alex ENTERS, he sees the room is empty.  But
       looking up, he notices that the door to the parapet
       is wide open.  He starts for the roof.

And DC has a note in his script that Scene 235 would be shot from a high angle.

And with Scene 237 we finally return to material that's actually in the film as it currently stands. Though as I alluded to earlier, not exactly where it was supposed to appear. But more on that in a future post...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving on to the current scene:

238    EXT - TOWER PARAPET - NIGHT                       238

as Alex emerges from the door, he sees Carlotta
       standing there.  The fear and hatred in Carlotta's
       eyes are now one and the same.  As Alex moves toward
       her, Carlotta backs up to where she now stands on
       the low wall that rims the parapet.

Page 109/Scene 238 - Carlotta: 'Stay away from me! Don't touch me!'

comes up, followed in the script by:

238    CONTD                                      CONTD  238

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 110/Scene 238 - Alex: 'We don't want to hurt you, Carlotta.'

comes up.

And as far as the descriptions and directions go, upon first seeing Alex, Carlotta doesn't actually back up to get up to stand on the wall that rims the parapet because in fact she backs in the opposite direction to stand against the corner of the wall -

- and then just before Alex is about to say he doesn't want to hurt her is when Carlotta backs up to -

- stand up on the wall. (And there's a behind the scenes still of DC and John Karlen from the filming of Scene 238 on page 141 of the 30th Anniversary Almanac.)

And as far as the dialogue goes, Carlotta's quote doesn't appear in the film as it currently stands - and Alex actually says "Carlotta, I don't want to hurt you."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The production still where it shows that Grayson was standing on a box for that scene is a fun one. 

I can just hear her saying when she got home, "Sam!  I worked MY ASS OFF today! Gimme a g & t and make it snappy!"

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The production still where it shows that Grayson was standing on a box for that scene is a fun one.

Yes - and what makes it even a bit more fun is that still is one of the lobby cards, so the box is something that almost anyone who saw NoDS in a theater (as opposed to a drive-in) probably saw even though the box doesn't show in the film.  [santa_cheesy]