Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 116071 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Great shot of Strack today.

Yes, I love that capture as well:

Page 61/Scene 121 - Strack: 'He must learn the lesson of
the damned. He shall watch her die.'

Thayer was so perfect in that role.  Of course, I know Jerry would have nailed it, too, but the nuances would have been quite different.

As undoubtedly interesting as it would have been to have seen Jerry Lacy as Trask, I can't even begin to imagine NoDS without Thayer David's Strack.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Well, MB, I'm sure you can guess how I feel about Thayer's presence in the movie.  Given what a huge fan I am of every moment he was ever onscreen...

That's a wonderful two-shot of Laura and Mrs. Castle in today's presentation.  One I don't recall at all.  I'm so glad they did include Clarice in this film.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Moving to the next two scenes in the current sequence (using Grayson's script):

123    SARAH - CLOSE-UP                                 123

Her eyes are wide with fright.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 61/Scene 123 - Carlotta's Voice: 'I don't know how long I stood there. It seemed like hours...'

- comes up, followed in the script by:

DISSOLVE TO:

124    EXT - CORRIDOR - SARAH'S P.O.V.                  124
                             Laura
       as Mrs. Castle joins Samantha.

And that's when today's second quote -

Page 61/Scene 124 - Carlotta's Voice (Contd): 'Finally, my mother joined Laura and the two of them waited...suddenly the silence was shattered by the terrifying sounds from above and it was then that I saw her.'

- comes up.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, as has probably already been surmised from the graphics for today's slideshow, neither Scene 123 nor the beginning of Scene 124 appear in the film as it currently stands, so there's no way of knowing if there might be differences in the dialogue. The scenes may not even appear in the 129 minute version. I don't recall seeing them during Darren's presentations - but with so much recovered footage being covered, it's hard to remember exactly everything, especially when Darren has to pick and choose what he shows and some recovered bits have only been shown once. For what it's worth, Scenes 123 and 124 are not included on Darren's list of the scenes/trims that weren't recovered. But then, it could also be that they aren't on that list because they were never shot. One thing that is known, though, is that, as per usual, Grayson crossed out Samantha's name in her dialogue for the start of Scene 124 and wrote in Laura's name.

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, again, with nothing that's covered here being in the film as it currently stands, there's no way of knowing if anything might be different.

And yes - Scene 124 is listed as an exterior in the script even though it should be listed as an interior...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I remember reading a piece in TWODS or Inside the Old House years ago where the author (no idea who it was anymore) theorized that there were no supernatural elements in NODS at all. His idea was that it was an elaborate scheme by Quentin and Angelique to drive Tracy insane and help themselves to her money. Interesting theory, I suppose, but nothing more. I don't see any indication that Tracy is an heiress or otherwise wealthy. The theory also would require every single character to be in on the scheme. Carlotta? Sure. Gerard? Probably? Alex and Claire? No. And, lastly, the theory renders the 1810 sequence as pointless.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That theory only works if you ignore about 90 percent of what actually happens in the movie.  Such as--if that were the case, why would Carlotta kill herself?  Did the writer think her death had been faked?

The theory sounds a lot like a couple of Boris Karloff THRILLER episodes I vaguely recall.  I always enjoy revisiting those.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
I certainly agree, Gothick. There is precious little in any incarnation of the movie to back up the guy's theory. I think that it may be the same guy who felt that there was a demand for DS fan fiction with a martial arts theme. Kung Fu Grip Barnabas?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think that it may be the same guy who felt that there was a demand for DS fan fiction with a martial arts theme. Kung Fu Grip Barnabas?

Heaven help us! But to each his/her own, I suppose...

And as for the theory, in the first few scenes of NoDS it's pretty much established that Tracy is anything but an heiress and that Quentin and Tracy's lives are going to change radically because of how he's the heir to Collinwood. Talk about making up a theory out of what someone wants to see and not what's actually there!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 124 (using Grayson's script):

Strack
       Trask and then the others file down the stairs.
       Angelique stares coldly ahead, holding herself aloof

124    CONTD                                     CONTD   124

from her persecutors.  One of the men holds a
       blood-soaked kerchief to his face.  Charles is the
       last to appear.  He has already resigned himself
       to her fate.  As they are about to go down the
       next flight, Sarah suddenly runs in, throwing her
       arms around Angelique's waist.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Sarah: 'No! No! I won't let you take her! She is good! She is good!'

- comes up.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, playing over the outset of this section of the scene is actually unscripted voiceover by Carlotta: "She walked down the stairs so proudly. They were all afraid to touch her. I suddenly knew I would never see her again. I ran to her. I couldn't let her go" - though whether or not that was always planned as a continuation of the scripted voiceover from earlier in the scene or as a replacement for it when the earlier part of the scene wasn't included in the film, who knows? (It has been mentioned that  after the marathon editing session David Selby and John Karlen were called in to dub new stuff to help to make what remained make more sense, but I've never seen it mentioned that Grayson also was.) - and the end of the unscripted voiceover actually plays over Sarah's lines, which are actually "No! No! I won't let you take her!" with the "She is good! She is good!" part completely dropped. (Though it may have been shot but was simply cut because right after Sarah says that she won't let them take Angelique, the camera switches from shooting like today's capture -

- and focuses on a close-up of Charles that we will see as part of tomorrow's slideshow.

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, there is actually a clasp of thunder as the film makes the switch from Scene 122's proclamation by Strack that Charles shall watch Angelique die to Scene 124 and Carlotta's unscripted voiceover regarding how Angelique descended the stairs - and the interesting thing is that Angelique seems to stare at Laura almost the entire time she walks down the stairs, and the smug look on Laura's face, as can be seen in the following capture -

- is absolutely priceless as Angelique reaches Laura in the second floor corridor! And if looks could kill, Laura might have been dead there and then given the way -

- Angelique looks at her. And what's also interesting is that as Angelique moves away from Laura, she has a slight smile on her face -

- as if she already knows her impending hanging will be far from the end. Though one other thing is that we don't see one of Strack's henchman, presumably the one Angelique scratched in Scene 85, holding a blood-soaked kerchief. In fact, we haven't even seen him in the scene at all yet - and the explanation for why that is will be coming in a future post...

And there are no notes in either DC's or Grayson's script for any of this section. In fact, there are no notes for any of Scene 124. Though one thing I haven't mentioned yet is that the end of Scene 124 is different/longer in DC's script from the way it is in Grayson's - and we'll deal with that once we've reached the 22nd's installment of the slideshow...

And to give you something else to look forward to, on the 23rd I'll be sharing the very first article published for the film that features photos taken of some of the first scenes shot for the film. It you've never seen the article, you might be surprised which scenes were soon to be shot after shooting began with Angelique's funeral...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 124:

Mrs. Castle tries to disengage the child.

And that's when today's first quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Mrs. Castle: 'Please, Sarah.'

- comes up, followed by today's second quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Sarah: 'Don't let them do it, mama! I love her so.'

- coming up.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, Mrs. Castle actually says "Sarah, please" - and Sarah's quote is dropped from the scene, and again, who knows if it was shot or not, though as we'll see below, given the editing, it may have been shot but simply cut.

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, even though neither the script nor any notes from DC indicate it, Mrs. Castle's line is delivered off screen while, as can be seen in today's first capture -

- there's a close-up of a very forlorn Charles on screen, so who knows if the switch to Charles was because DC didn't like Monica Rich's work in those moments or DC simply wanted to insert a Charles close-up rather than just have him in the background, as he'll be seen in tomorrow's capture (and here's -

- a sneak peak). But Sarah's quote from today is not the first bit of Sarah's stuff to not appear in the film as part of Scene 124, and as we'll see when I post about tomorrow's quote, it won't be the last. Though one thing we do know for sure is that DC did express his dissatisfaction with Monica Rich's work, so take from that what you will...

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
Is Mrs. Castle the only time during any incarnation of DS that we get to see Clarice without a wig?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure it is.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Continuing Scene 124:

Still clutching Angelique, Sarah cries bitterly as
       Angelique bends to her.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'My darling, don't cry. Sarah, dear, don't cry, please. It will be just as if I'm away for a little while.'

SARAH
                 But they said...they were going to...

She looks at Charles.

Charles...don't let them --

She cannot finish, her sobs break out again.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, what Angelique actually says is "Darling, don't cry. Sarah, dear, please don't cry. It'll be just as if I've gone away for a little while" - but all of Sarah's dialogue and everything that surrounds it is dropped from the scene once again, and once again, who knows if it was shot or not, though as we'll see below in this post too, given the editing, it may have been shot but simply cut.

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, we don't actually see Sarah crying bitterly because she seems to be sobbing - and even though neither the script nor any notes from DC indicate it, as can be seen in the following capture -

- a close-up of a disgusted looking Strack is actually seen while Angelique reassures Sarah that it will be just as if Angelique has gone away for a little while, and like Charles' earlier close-up, who knows if Strack's closeup was inserted because DC didn't like what he got from Monica Rich or simply because DC wanted to insert a Strack close-up.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Before we conclude Scene 124 as it appears in DC's script, here's how it concludes in Grayson's:

ANGELIQUE
                 You'll remember all the time we've
                 spent together...all the love we've
                 shared.  You'll remember me.

She kisses the child goodbye.

As Mrs. Castle takes the weeping Sarah toward her
       room, the others EXIT down the stairs.

End of scene - but this is how things play out in DC's script, beginning with the first part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'You'll remember all the time we spent together. All the love we've shared...'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

She suddenly takes off her locket.

And that's when the second part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'Here. You've always thought this so pretty.'

She slips it around the child's neck.

And that's when the third part of today's quote -

Page 62/Scene 124 - Angelique: 'As long as you wear this, you'll remember me.'

124    CONTD                                             CONTD    124

She kisses the child goodbye.

As Mrs. Castle takes the weeping Sarah toward her
       room, the others EXIT down the stairs.

And as far as differences in the dialogue go, the first part of Angelique's quote is completely dropped in the film -  and when it comes to the second part, she actually says "You always thought" rather than "You've always thought" - and when it comes to the third part, she actually says "As long as you wear this, you will remember me."

And as far as differences in the directions and the descriptions go, it isn't until after Angelique says "Here" that she pulls rather than takes off her locket - and as Angelique says "You always thought this so pretty" and for a bit beyond another clasp of thunder is heard - and rather than slip the locket around Sarah's neck, what actually happens, as can be seen in today's capture -

- is that in a close-up Angelique holds the locket up as she makes her pronouncement about it - however, as can be seen in the following capture -

- the "you will remember me" part of the pronouncement plays as a double exposure of Angelique's close-up and the start of Scene 126 as Angelique lowers the locket as Scene 124 slowly fades out and Scene 126 slowly fades in. And that probably begs the question: What happened to Scene 125? Well, it's not in any version of the film and there are questions as to whether or not it was even shot. But we'll deal with Scene 125 in a post later today...

And finally, as I mentioned in reply #367, we had yet to see Strack's henchman. Well, that's because, as can be seen in the following capture, he doesn't actually appear on screen until the camera angle changes and -

- he's seen standing on stairs higher than the ones Charles is on and behind Angelique and Sarah - and notice that unlike what the script indicates, he is not holding a blood-soaked kerchief to his face. (And get your minds out of the gutter because Sarah and Angelique are not looking at Angelique's ample bosom but down at the locket after Angelique says "Here" and before she pulls the locket off.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oops - how quickly I forget [embb] -

... And I've always been a bit upset that that published version is the only one that I've ever come across because it would be nice to see at least a bit more of Quentin. But then, maybe a wider version of it doesn't even exist, so perhaps I should just be grateful for what I have...

- that photo is published on page 254 of the DS Movies book (page 62A of the script, which features the conclusion of Scene 124 and the beginning of Scene 125):

And it's interesting that the book's version shows more of Quentin, which is a definite plus, and more of the room, but it crops part of the top and bottom off. Will we ever see the entire photo?  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And here's Scene 125:

125    INT - SARAH'S BEDROOM - DAY                       125

as the door opens, Mrs. Castle and Sarah ENTER.
       Sarah is still crying.

125    CONTD                                     CONTD   125

MRS. CASTLE
                 Lie down on your bed, angel.  Please
                 stay here.  There's nothing we can do.

She turns to leave.  Sarah runs to her.

Sweetheart, get into your bed and
                 pull the covers over your head.
                 Whatever you do, please stay away
                 from that window.

As she EXITS, TRUCK IN on and anguished Sarah.

End of scene.

And as far as the dialogue, the directions, and the descriptions go, there's no way to know if anything is different because, as I said, this scene doesn't appear in any version of the film.  And obviously it's yet more Sarah material that DC decided not to include in the film, either by never shooting it or leaving it all on the cutting room floor...