Author Topic: And Now The Return of Another New Slideshow (Sort of) [**Now featuring alternate versions of scenes - see replies #60,#82,#116,#138,#157,#180,#224,#240,#280,#372,#526**]  (Read 116877 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
My years of having to decipher extremely creative penmanship from my OTB career sometimes pays off in unexpected ways.  [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_grin]

I see. Good to know! And if I have any other deciphering problems, you'll be the first I'll ask!!  [nodassent]  [wink2]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just another part of my reasonably checkered past that has come in handy.  [ghost_wink] [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_wink]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing with more of Scene 88, starting off with today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Tracy: 'Something you can't be without?'

- coming up in response to Quentin asking what his surprise is, followed by the script continuing with:

He draws out a riding habit.

QUENTIN
               You've got to be kidding.

Alex ROARS with laughter.

TRACY
               Gregory said I can return it.

Quentin starts to laugh and gets up crossing to
       Tracy.

And when it comes to what is different in the dialogue, what Tracy actually says is "Well, it's something that you can't be without", and until it comes to the second syllable of the word "something", it's delivered off screen - and in the film it isn't Quentin who says "You've got to be kidding" but Alex, who actually says "You gotta be kidding" after he bursts out laughing - and in a bit more of unscripted dialogue, Claire replies with "Why, I think he'll look marvelous in them" (and I love the look she gives -

- Alex after she says it, as well as her dismissive hand gesture) - and then Tracy actually says "Gregory said I could take them back if..." before she gets cut off by Quentin, but more on that tomorrow...

And when it comes to what is different with the descriptions and directions, Quentin doesn't take out a full riding habit but simply a pair of riding breeches, and he stands after he does so - and he has a big smile on his face as he moves toward Tracy -

- as she says she can take them back, which means that he doesn't laugh nor get up after she's said it - and in the middle of Tracy saying she can take them back there's a notation in DC's script indicating that there was supposed to be a 2 shot of Alex and Claire, but obviously it's not in the film if it was shot.

And poor Gregory: he gets mentioned twice in this scene, yet as the film stands, no one in the audience has the vaguest idea who he is because his scene was never shot...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And more of Scene 88, picking up with today's quote -

Page 38/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'No...NO... [He kisses Tracy lightly] I'll get around to wearing it sooner or later --'

- coming up.

And so far as what's different in the dialogue, Quentin cuts Tracy off by actually saying "Promise you I'll wear 'em" (the riding breeches, not the full riding habit, as scripted) - and then after he kisses her, he adds "Someday" - and in another bit of unscripted dialogue, Tracy repeats "Someday" with a laugh.

And so far as what's different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into here.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And yet more of Scene 88, picking up with today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Oh, Carlotta, Charles Collins --'

- coming up, followed in the script by:

She turns and looks at him.

And that's where today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Yes, sir?'

- comes up, followed by today's third quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'I found some of his work in the tower room.'

-coming up, followed by today's fourth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'Oh?'

- coming up - followed by today's fifth quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Quentin: 'Do you know anything about his history?'

- coming up.

And as for what's different in the dialogue, rather than the first quote, Quentin actually and simply says "Carlotta" - and Carlotta actually and simply responds "Yes" - after which Quentin actually says "I found some old painting of Charles Collins in the tower room" - to which Carlotta does indeed respond with "Oh?", like it's a surprise to her (but we know she was just waiting for that to happen) - and then Quentin does indeed ask about Charles' history as written.

And when it comes to what is different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into so far as what's scripted, but I do have to say that as often as I've watched the film, I'd never really noticed until I was picking the captures for today that after Quentin puts the riding breeches down on the dining table, just like the typical wife, Tracy picks them up and neatly folds them into her lap so that they don't get wrinkled. I suppose in all the other viewing I was too focused on Quentin and Carlotta's exchange.  [ghost_wink]

And oddly again DC's script has a notation for a 2 shot of Alex and Claire (after Carlotta turns to look at Quentin) that isn't in the film.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Today's shot might be my favorite image of Grayson in the movie.  I used a version of the shot in a collage I did of Grayson in various roles a few years ago.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And continuing with more of Scene 88, picking up with Carlotta's answer as today's quote:

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'He was a marvelous man, a brilliant artist.'

And so far as what's different in the dialogue in the film, Carlotta actually says "Yes, I do. He was a marvelous man, a brilliant artist."

And so far as what's different with the descriptions and directions, there's nothing to get into because there aren't any descriptions or directions in this portion of the script. However, DC has a notation for this line in his script that says it would be shot over Carlotta's shoulder and showing Alex, Quentin and Tracy. But being shot over her shoulder is obviously not the way it was done because in the film Carlotta is seen in close-up, which is much more effective. There really isn't a true over the shoulder shot in the entire scene.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Today's shot might be my favorite image of Grayson in the movie.

Yes, I love the shot too.

Thank heavens DC changed his mind and didn't shoot those moments from over Carlotta's shoulder!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The interesting thing about the notation in DC's script about doing a shot of Alex, Quentin and Tracy over Carlotta's shoulder is that after Carlotta says Charles was marvelous and brilliant, the next shot in Scene 88 is one of those three, though as can be seen in this capture -

- it isn't shot over Carlotta's shoulder. And as soon as Alex begins to deliver today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'You sound as if you know him.'

- (though he actually says "You almost sound like you know him, Carlotta" in the film), the camera pans to show Carlotta, as can be seen in -

- today's capture.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
And Carlotta has her cat that copped the cream look.

As if she's thinking, "oh if you only knew... you poor fool!"

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And picking up Scene 88 with today's first quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Carlotta: 'I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins. Will you be having brandy in the gallery?'

- coming up in response to Alex's remark about her knowledge of Charles Collins, and followed by today's second quote -

Page 39/Scene 88 - Alex: 'Never. We're up with the sun these days.'

coming up, followed in the script by:

The girls rise, start out.  Carlotta starts to
       clear the table as Quentin and Alex start down the
       hall.

End of scene - though not quite the end of the sequence...

And when it comes to what is different in the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Carlotta drops the "I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins" in favor of a sly smile, as can be seen in the following capture -

- and that smile actually says volumes more than any dialogue could possibly (especially if one already knows the subtext) - and in the script it could seem as if Carlotta is asking Alex if he will be having brandy, but in the film it's clear that Carlotta asks the question of Quentin because she turns to him - and as Tracy takes a sip of her wine, in another bit of unscripted dialogue, Quentin asks "Alex?", after which Alex delivers a version of today's second quote by actually replying "Uh, not me, pal. I'm up with the sun these days", in the middle of which Tracy laughs as she puts down her wine glass - and that's followed by an unscripted exchange of Quentin asking "Sure?", Alex replying "Positive" and then asking Claire "Ready, baby?", to which Claire replies "Hmm, ready", and Alex repeats "Ready" - and after Tracy takes the riding breeches from her lap and throws her napkin on the table as Claire comes to her side, the two women leave the room with unintelligible conversation between them, while behind them, after having a couple more sips of wine before getting up, Alex raises his glass as if in a toast and delivers another unscripted "A little more wine", to which Quentin mouths "A little more wine" under his breath as he walks to Alex - and after getting up Alex slaps his right hand on Quentin's back as they leave the room and Carlotta does indeed start to clear the table.

Also, Grayson has notations in her script about how Carlotta is "Always in control" and simply the word "Locket" - and in her script something like the later always seems to refer to Grayson's intention that Carlotta be seen foundling the locket while she's also doing something else - but in this case Carlotta doesn't actually touch the locket at all, or at least not in the take that was used as she reacts to Alex's remark about her almost sounding like she knows Charles Collins. And Grayson also has "I've read a lot about him, Mr. Jenkins" crossed out in her script.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Carlotta's evil smiles... my role model... wonderful capture!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]  It's definitely one of Carlotta's best moments! Though you don't realize it is until after the first viewing of the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Setting up Scene 89:

89     INT - CORRIDOR - NIGHT                           89

About half-way down, Quentin stops Alex, obviously
       not wanting the girls to hear him.  The girls
       continue on.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 39/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Listen, I've had more of those crazy daydreams.'

- comes up.

And so far as anything being different with the dialogue, what Quentin actually says is "I'm having more of those crazy daydreams."

And so far as anything being different with the descriptions and directions, Quentin and Alex get barely past the dining room doorway when Quentin actually stops Alex - and we don't actually see Tracy and Claire continue down the corridor.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wrapping up Scene 89, beginning with Alex's response to Quentin bringing up his "daydreams":

ALEX
               Want to talk about them?

89     CONTD                                   CONTD    89

QUENTIN

as he looks in the direction of Tracy.

And that's when today's quote -

Page 40/Scene 89 - Quentin: 'Not now. Why don't you come over tomorrow.'

- comes up.

End of scene and sequence.

And so far as anything being different with the dialogue, the descriptions, and the directions, Alex slaps Quentin on the back before he asks if Quentin wants to talk about his "daydreams" - and after Quentin presumably looks in the direction of Tracy (we don't see her), he turns to Alex, the "Not now" is dropped, and what Quentin actually asks him is "Can you come over tomorrow?" - and then, in yet more unscripted dialogue, Alex answers "Sure", and after Quentin smiles, Alex says "Okay" and slaps Quentin on the back again before the two start down the corridor.